Essay writing competition thread

The White House violated procedures that limit communications with the FBI on pending investigations, according to CNN and the AP.

That’s both political interference in an investigation, and a play to get the FBI to effectively act as Trump’s PR agent.

This has both incompetence and corruption on the part of Trump’s administration written all over it.

Trump has been tweeting furiously about it, so it’s bona fide story.

CNN, the New York Times, LA Times and the BBC, amongst others, were all banned from an off camera White House press briefing in Sean Spicer’s office this evening, which was held in place of the usual televised press briefing.

This sort of exclusion of sections of the media has never happened before.

And here’s what Trump said earlier today in a speech: “A few days ago, I called the fake news media the enemy of the people, and they are,” the president said. “They are the enemy of the people.”

People are dead right to be worried about this man and what he might do.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/02/24/white-house-blocks-cnn-new-york-times-from-press-briefing-hours-after-trump-slams-media/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_fix-briefing-259pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.ff3746007445

The Wall Street Journal, which did participate in the briefing, said in a statement that it was unaware of the exclusions and “had we known at the time, we would not have participated, and we will not participate in such closed briefings in the future.”

But New York Times Executive Editor Dean Baquet declared that “nothing like this has ever happened at the White House in our long history of covering multiple administrations of different parties.”

Even Bret Baier of Fox News is up in arms. But of course it’s only “whinging liberals” who would object to this.

Were you as outraged when Obama did similar to Fox? Were you dead right to be worried what he might do?

There has been and is, more press coverage of Trump than any other potus, negative or otherwise. You can unclutch your pearls, there will be plenty of articles for you to copy and paste tomorrow, expressing how upset you are. If I had to guess… rattled stage 11 of 10. Spontaneous combustion stage of rattledness (apologies, I dont think thats a word).

1 Like

Enrique are you a bad hombre?

I don’t support any administration excluding any network.

Do you? Because it would appear you do support such.

Just for your information, there’s a big, big difference between the Obama administration acting the bollocks as regards not giving Fox an interview over an issue (they ended up giving the interview, and Fox was never excluded from any press briefing), and Trump repeatedly calling any media which is objective about him “fake news”, “very fake news” and “enemies of the people”, and then barring them from a private press briefing.

But you need critical filters to understand this, which you quite clearly don’t have.

Read what people from other news organisations who were not banned say about it and come back to me.

While Trump’s war on the free press is an important issue, one would hope that the journalists don’t obsess over their own martyrdom as they are inclined to do. There are far more important issues to cover. And the white house briefings are a farce anyway.

The only thing the press are doing is feeding trumps narcissistic addiction to the point of gluttony and by default their own as well.

A war on the free press is a pretty important issue.

Just like the right to protest. Which the Republicans are also trying to clamp down on.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/02/24/republican-lawmakers-introduce-bills-to-curb-protesting-in-at-least-17-states/?utm_term=.10e28f959ca4

They ended up giving the interview because of pressure from others in the press corps.

The just for my information bit is just a bit of horseshit based on how you see things. Are you the arbiter of when its just a bit of fucking round or when its more serious and needs to be designated as an attack on the free press? Its just partisan politics, that will happen in every administartion but because its trump its oh no the end of the free press. Hard to see wood from trees when shriek is default setting.

Critical filters blah blah shite, anyone who profers a different outlook to your madness just doesnt understand/ is not critically analyzing the way. Delusional much?

2 Likes

Si

He is the same guy who ignores data when it suits and goes ape when others do so. It’s hilarious.

1 Like

Come back when you have a point to make, please.

You’ve yet to produce any relevant “data” to back up any of your bogus “points”.

Bogus points don’t get backed up by data, which is why you continue to flounder on this thread like a 20 stone rugby prop forward trying to run a marathon.

What data do you want me to produce? Still waiting for your data to support your assertion about millions of voters, but of course you already told us you don’t care about data when it gets in the way of you vilifying people.

Notice the irony;

• if someone criticises Islam over terrorist attacks you will say it’s only a small minority and will happily give stats to back that up
  • ditto Trump saying Mexico just exports criminals to the US and will give stats for that

But you give yourself free reign to label millions of people as something and will sneer at someone saying “data boy” when they ask for actual data to back up an assertion.

Sidney saw graffiti on social media, what more do you want?

1 Like

I provided data where relevant about anti-semitism and about race being an issue for Trump supporters. You chose to ignore it.

Individual acts of anti-semitism and racism are not established by data. They’re established by their anti-semitism and racism.

Individuals engaging in anti-semitism and racism, as Mr. Trump does, are not established by data. They’re established by anti-semitism and racism.

They’re established by representatives of the Jewish community and minority communities stating that they are blatantly offensive to those communities, not by white Irish people like you.

You cannot provide any data to dispute my points because your points are bogus.

So I’m not looking for data you can’t provide.

I did. And loads of other stuff. And you clearly don’t think that graffiti is anti-semitic. Or the other stuff, you know, the insane rhetoric, the dog whistles to white supremacists, the online hate speech, the bomb threats, the downgrading of white supremacist groups out of the category of terrorism.

You’re another white Irish male who is more than happy to downplay the vilification of minorities because it suits your agenda.

Tim, with all due respect, you’re dealing with someone that clearly hasn’t a fucking clue what they are talking about when it comes to data.

3 Likes

With all due respect, ie. none, you’re a servile moron who hasn’t a clue about anything except posting up videos of crap songs by tuneless heavy metal bands on a thread nobody looks at.

Your point was this, it’s “hypocritical” that “many” Trump supporters are pro Israel when they are antisemites.

Where you got the fact that they are pro Israel is from hard data, as that is reflected in polls around Republicans (and Trump carried most normal GOP voters) and their attitudes to Israel.

You got your antisemitism from a couple of acts of graffiti and a some tweets. You have failed to demonstrate any hypocrisy.

It reflects your poor style of debating. You look for data to suit your positions but will always default to looking to vilify people eventually as your understanding of issues is basic.

3 Likes