Significant people's (not celebrities) deaths

Marsha Mehran, Iranian/American. Died suddently, “nothing suspicious”. Draw from that what you will. Was based in Mayo.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/author-marsha-mehran-found-dead-in-co-mayo-village-1.1781527

Her name was Marsha Mehran. Never read any of her books or anything, I just thought she was really quite beautiful. I think she lived over in Mayo. Just saw in the paper today that her landlord found her dead inside her gaff and she’d been dead for a week.

Former British Tennis No. 1, Elena Baltacha, has died from cancer, aged 30. She id the daughter of former Soviet International footballer, Sergei Baltacha, who played for Dynamo Kiev, Ipswich Town, St. Johnstone and Inverness Cally Thistle

Just reading about her now. She had some liver condition diagnosed at 19…amazing she managed a respectable career. Very sad. I feel fucking guilty for the abuse I’ve thrown at my own liver now.

Was only diagnosed in March. :eek:

that actually upset me briefly this morning when i read that and put a downer on my morning
her name was a regular in the “brits beaten in the first round at Wimbledon” list every June that i always look out for.
I heard an interview with her when she retired last year and she really seemed a very decent upbeat girl, she always had an underlying illness with her liver but the big C only hit her in March i think,
This kind of thing really puts some of those mopes playing GAA “battling depression” into perspective.
RIP Elena

[QUOTE=“mickee321, post: 940616, member: 367”]that actually upset me briefly this morning when i read that and put a downer on my morning
her name was a regular in the “brits beaten in the first round at Wimbledon” list every June that i always look out for.
I heard an interview with her when she retired last year and she really seemed a very decent upbeat girl, she always had an underlying illness with her liver but the big C only hit her in March i think,
This kind of thing really puts some of those mopes playing GAA “battling depression” into perspective.
RIP Elena[/QUOTE]

Her father was a defender on the USSR team in the 1982 world cup, I think. Moved to UK and stayed.

correct, presume he would have been mates with the likes of Oleg Kuznetsov, Alexei Mikhailichenko, Vasily Rats and Oleg Protasov, did the former two play for the now defunct Rangers FC?

Alexi did anyway. Blondy guy.

Alexi played on that superb Rangers team that was cheated out of a European Cup final place by Bernard Tapies Marseille.

Tapie was some scumbag
i still have the edition of World Soccer magazine at home somewhere that documents how he bought off the whole Valenciennes team to win Ligue Une, i think Toto Schillachi is on the front cover of that particular edition actually

[QUOTE=“Thrawneen, post: 939649, member: 129”]I remember seeing this one, an author, in the Irish Times weekend section a few years ago, saw that she lived in Ireland and spent a pleasant afternoon fantasising about her.

And now she’s dead :frowning:

http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/9/3665/z3665149Q,Marsha-Mehran--autorka-ksiazki--Zupa-z-granatow---.jpg[/QUOTE]

:eek: :eek: :eek: :(:(:frowning:

Not greeeeaaaaattttt news.

The voice of Frosties has died :frowning:

Greg Hughes of the 1960/61 Offaly football team. Hughes appeared in the Louis Marcus “Skills of Gaelic Football” video. Strange that I only thought of his name there a couple of hours ago when Sean O’Neill mentioned that team on the Tyrone-Down internet radio preview, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have mentioned it.

Not a significant person.

HR Giger, artist and creator of the ‘Alien’ creatures, passed away a few days ago.

Ibrahim Toure, younger brother of Kolo and Yaya.

Total disaster for the French oil company as their chief executive gets totalled by somebody who definitely wasn’t teetotal.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/oct/21/total-boss-killed-plane-crash-christophe-de-margerie-drunk-driver
[SIZE=6]
Total boss killed in plane crash: investigators blame drunk driver[/SIZE]
Christophe de Margerie, who was killed when a private jet collided with a snow plough, was one of the world’s most recognisable oil executives

3 months ago, de Margerie was quoted as saying that “There is no reason to pay for oil in dollars”

Any other oil exec thinking along those lines will be forever holding their peace after this.

[SIZE=6]Raphael Ravenscroft dead: ‘Baker Street’ musician, who played the most famous saxophone solo for just £27, dies aged 60[/SIZE]

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9808109.ece/alternates/w620/Raphael-Rafferty-PA.jpg

[SIZE=4]However, the famous song, which shot to No.3 in the UK Singles Charts in 1978, is said to have earned Rafferty ÂŁ80,000 a year in royalties
[/SIZE]