The Official TFK Father's Issues Thread. I don't know how they do it

Of course the media hasnā€™t reported on the effects that underfunding and scathing cuts have had on mental health services and the destruction and deaths this has wrought

1 Like

Mental health is an easy fix. All lads should be uploading selfies onto Facebook right now and ā€œopen upā€ more.

We need more AWARENESS

Iā€™m becoming more torn on this. All the funding in the world wonā€™t help some people who donā€™t even realise they have issues and then experience some kind of traumatic event that causes them to take the most extreme action.

Iā€™ve had 2 suicides in my extended family, 1 where noone including the manā€™s wife had any clue that he had ā€˜issuesā€™ and to this day it makes no sense what drove him to it. Weā€™ve just become thankful he didnā€™t do anything to her or their child.

And in the 2nd case he was in John of Godā€™s for months and showed massive improvement. Little did they know he was playing them for fools and got out for a weekend visit home for his mother to find him hanging. At least this one made more sense but the best services in the country couldnā€™t save him. Again, he could have done something to his wife and kids but thankfully didnā€™t.

I guess what Iā€™m saying is that the services can only help if itā€™s caught early enough. Funding is fuck all use once someone is beyond a certain stage or may not even know themselves that they have an issue. Iā€™ve no idea how to solve it but throwing money into areas that canā€™t solve it isnā€™t the answer.

3 Likes

Appreciate what youā€™re saying but definitely wonā€™t know if you donā€™t try though, which is where weā€™re at now.

There is a basic thing in the Irish male psyche or culture about not opening up. Itā€™s awful. Thatā€™s why I love tfk, we can vent a bit.

7 Likes

I think the mental health approach, while needed, is over done. It will not solve the problems of modern life. It wonā€™t make car insurance any cheaper, it wonā€™t help get rents to respectable levels, or make our education sysstem more inclusive, stop racism, or it wonā€™t reduce bullying in kids (this is something that might be impossible to stop, its part of growing up), it not going to stop all the things that emotionally unstable people and/or mentally ill cannot handle these days.

The blocks to living a standard life for many in modern Ireland are great and i think dealing with mental health awareness is good for a lot of people, but way too late for a big number too.

Oh ya and shit and absent parenting is going to cost us for a long time to come too. Kids lack coping skills in more cases than i remember these days.

Sure how could you be unhappy? Donā€™t you have a grand job, a nice house, and a good family. Sure youā€™ve no reason to be depressed. Cop yourself on and get on with your life. A good boot up the hole will solve all your ā€˜mental healthā€™ issues.

8 Likes

No man, unless he is an absolutely psychopathic monster, in his right mind could do that to his children.

8 Likes

for all intent and purposes he was a good GGA man, went to a club game that day and was club treasurer and then this.

could it have been an instantaneous thing where he just lost it?

btw guys, my youngest started school today, bear with me if im a little snappy today

11 Likes

Iā€™m all for a bit of craic but your GAA slant on this thing is becoming very boring very quickly

2 Likes

Please tell me you havenā€™t posted a pic of it on Social Media. Hope all goes well today buddy

huh?

my point was that he was just a regular GGA man and on the day of the tragedy acted normally so could something have triggered his breakdown later?

2 Likes

ive sent a photo to everyone in the TFK clique

1 Like

If this fella had somehow survived after the attack, do you think he would have been convicted of straight up murder ?

I think there would have been a witch hunt by the public.

if the money was used wisely for the likes of early interventions and screening etc then it would be money well spent. weā€™re seeing the level of suicides and cases being too far gone because there isnā€™t a significant amount of early interventions. There will always be some who fall through the gaps/buck the system but if we can help a larger number than we are now and avoid some tragedies wouldnā€™t it be money well spent ?

+1. Bit beyond depression or issues to stab your 3 sons and wife to death.

This poor chap was not on the radar of any services and outwardly did not have any particular financial issues. Active member of the community, well regarded.

Iā€™m not sure any amount of funding would have prevented whatever caused this horror.

Is this sort of thing particularly common in Ireland or the same elsewhere?