Wexford GAA 2016

LADS YE WERE PLAYING KERRY:joy:

Great hussle by Paudie Foley to prevent Kerry from scoring a goal in the first half today. Thatā€™s two and a half pretty good games at centre forward for Andrew Shore now too.

Criminal from the kerryman not to put that away.

Nice to see our forwards putting in tackles, dispossessing their players and forcing frees for overcarrying. Much different to round 1 in Limerick where they played around us and through the lines.

Liam Dunne is turning this around, chaps.

Made a weekend of it. Possibly one of coldest games was ever at. At half time thought wind worth 8 points or so, but Wexford completely dominated second half. Kerry crowd are amongst bitterest Iā€™ve ever encountered (Westmeath winners for whatā€™s worth) hence my backing of Donegal in football.
Andrew Shore had a cracking game.

Liam Dunne outsmarted the Limerick brains trust managing Kerry.

We go again.

1 Like

Unchanged hurling team for Sunday at home to Offaly. I liked the application last weekend in Tralee. Hopefully thatā€™ll be the baseline level of work rate and commitment from now on - we canā€™t afford to be as casual as we were in Limerick. The tackling from the forwards was very good in particular and we need to get stuck into these mullocking bastards on Sunday too. Offaly were filthy in New Ross in January in The Walsh Cup.

I canā€™t wait for tomorrowā€™s hurling match now weā€™re a united squad again.

Unfortunately Shaun Murphy requires a shoulder operation after sustaining that nasty injury against Clare and heā€™s expected to be out for 4 months.

Such was our injury situation that Liam Dunne rang Kevin Sheridan last Friday night to see if heā€™d join the squad for the trip to Kerry the next day. Sheridan was thrilled to get the invite and subsequently made his debut off the bench on Sunday. Other players who were tried out in the Walsh Cup didnā€™t want to know because theyā€™re sulking about being dropped at the start of the league.

Tom Mullally has unofficially/officially come on board as an additional hurling coach since the Limerick game - thank you Jim Bolger. This is an absolute coup. Our sharpness and speed of hurling is already noticeably much better and no wonder the might of Kerry couldnā€™t cope with us. :clap:

Liam Griffin has been doing some troubleshooting, I understand. A sit down with Conor McDonald a few weeks ago to encourage him to refocus and deliver on his potential. And a meeting with a recently departed panel member and his GPA representative to inform him that his college grant from a Wexford GAA benefactor was being rescinded. :laughing:

The players have now joined the manager in boycotting South East Radio. They were seething about coverage of their capitulation in Limerick. The entire ā€œMorning Mixā€ show on the following Monday was devoted to the display and basically inviting listeners to ring in to slate them on air. :laughing:

I think weā€™ll smash Offaly tomorrow.

1 Like

Thatā€™s hilarious about the grant. Good old GAA politics.

I think itā€™s fair enough. He got the grant because of his county player status but subsequently quit the county squad. Ergo, I reckon Wexford GAA is well within its rights to say ā€œweā€™ve no longer any obligation to part fund your way through college.ā€

1 Like

Oh I think its fair alright. You canā€™t beat a bit of blind optimism when it comes to Wexford hurling - weā€™ve no proper team* to face until May now so by the time it rolls around weā€™ll have ourselves convinced weā€™re All Ireland contenders.

*unless Iā€™m incorrect on how the latter stages of the league works

Weā€™ll get a league quarter final against one of the top four in 1A all going well.

Lovely - weā€™ll hide in the long grass handing out a few beatings until then

will ye win today

Yes, pal. Back us -4 at around evens.

An absolutely shambolic first half display by Wexford but I still believe.

Half Time: Offaly 2-12 (two-twelve) Wexford 2-4.

We led by 2 goals to nil after 2 minutes.

An utter shambles today, chaps.

Alan Corcoran might as well devote another Morning Mix to it tomorrow because the players arenā€™t speaking to him anyway.

:confounded:

:smiley:

An 8 point beating to Offaly on our home pitch. Thatā€™s fucking depressing.

1 Like