With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

He was probably saving himself for the canapés later on.

1 Like

No, I did leave a message at Treatdrop Limited so I’m really hopeful of hearing something back soon

1 Like

He’s just on a bad run at the moment. I am sure it will all be ok.

1 Like

@Gman if you bought a complete wreck and did it up would it be more expensive than starting from scratch?

I’m a sucker for a house with “character” I’m like the Brendan Rogers of the house buying game.

Whats the going rate to build a decent sized house from scratch, say 200m over 2 stories, these days, anyone know?

1 Like

Rough estimate of €1,200 a sqm around our neck of the woods plus your associated fees.

There is actually a very nice house for sale up near your ancestral home direction

1 Like

there is no real hard and fast rule to say it would be one way or the other. There are too many individual factors involved to say either way.

Renovation: how much is the site and existing house, building an extension or renovation, plumbing and electrics, roof work, insulation and energy works.
New build: own site or have to buy new, council fees, connection fees, builder/architectural compliance hidden costs (although this is being relaxed lately)

And I’m assuming that is 2000ft rather than metres unless you are really bigwigging it with JP. Treatys budget wouldnt be far off, anywhere around €125/ft2 would give a decent build. But that generally wouldnt cover a lot of the professional fees and other costs involved, which in some cases add on a massive amount.

1 Like

Cheers Gman still cheaper to buy so by and large. I’ve no great desire to build my own place unlike a lot of lads, I wouldn’t mind a renovation though.

yeah its generally accepted at the moment that the amount you need for mortgage approval is less than the standard 3 bedroom cost for a housing estate new build development.

so if you can find an existing house to buy, it generally is selling below market rates, or below the actual build cost of the house whenever it was built

the other thing is that there are fuck all houses available at the moment. despite all the stuff about vacant houses and the market etc, there is still a shortfall at the moment.

The market is a fucking nightmare. Serious amount of deluded sellers & auctioneers valuing properties right now.

Anyone else on the hunt?

1 Like

Myself and @Mac are on the hunt for a few mugs if you can pass them onto us.

1 Like

Yup. Cuntish. Cheaper to build now than it is to buy.

Hasn’t it always been?

Any ould batchelor farmer you could ‘mind’ for a few years?

I’ve been at it the last while. Hoping I’m nearly sorted though. Pain in the hole of a process.

Some right greedy cunts out there.

Deluded sellers is a good point. I live in a small development of 9 houses. One house has been empty and repossessed for 18 months all the others are occupied.

I bought a nice detached house in turnkey condition, literally all we did was paint a few rooms and replace a bannister in the house. So spent about 5 k total + the purchase price

This repossessed house is gone on the market 6 months now for the same price I paid for mine (they are identical layout) except it has no kitchen whatsoever, needs a new boiler, needs to be damp proofed and some rooms replastered and load of other bits and pieces. I reckon 80/90 k of work in total. It will not sell in 100 years at the price it’s at now, in fact it’s deteriorating by the day. Absolute joke. If they priced it properly it would be gone in a fortnight

It’s not in rural Ireland anyways. Maybe in bigger urban areas

Friend of mine has bought a 2 bed apartment in Stepaside. 90% mortgage will cost him and girlfriend 880 a month, they were paying 1600 a month for 2 bed about ten mins closer to city centre. It’s a joke

I’m trying to build an extension and have spoken to six builders so far. Of those only four came to look at it, two never turned up and only one came back with a price.

Cowboys ted

How are you treated under the central bank rules if you want to increase an existing mortgage on a property?
Are you still considered as a first time buyer? Do the banks view you as a “mover”?
Can you qualify for those offers like 2% back on your mortage?