20 Years to 2009. History to Repeat itself

It may come as no surprise but for me 1989 was the year the world changed. 1989 was the year that had everything. Did ye know the day Bob Dylan played the RDS in the first of his hooded anorak tours that Tanks rolled down Tiananmen Square and I was found playing soccer in Sandymount Green (goal clean sheet too) It was the day the world changed, the Berlin wall was to follow. Less then three months after the Chinese declared war on its own Citizens, the Marchioness Riverboat sank, while I knew three of the dead personally, it was my birthday and I was a cheque clearing away from being there myself, a lesson in mortality for me but it effectively ended the original Rave party for everyone else. But what was also memorable about 1989was the Championship Season. So much so, that one of its many events continues to be talked about to this day.

It was a season that had everything. Committees and more Committees, Sending Offs and Slap Downs, Handy Penalties and Blind Refs (depending on your view), there was another Mayo Final Loss but it was an occassion of celebration none the less, there was a Standing Ovation, and in the end, a due and honest reward. Cork on their Fourth attempt (ok three plus one replay) got the Sam Maguire finally back, and Tip, who in my opinion, had the hardest roughest durtiest run to a Final thus far in my lifetime, clutched McCarthy between their stinky buttery glaumours.

I feel this year will be the same in terms of mammoth life changing events. Recession hits will get harder as the year grows and there will be no recovery for some, benchmarking will be found out to be the big black hole that will permanently bankrupt the State, the destruction of Gaza (and Gazza too) will be apocalyptic, but good will still prevail. Obama will lead on the side of humanity and what is right. I do believe it. I do believe certain Zionist fascists will see the inside of the Hague this year. I do believe. I do believe the Paddies will take this recession and turn the country around without the need to ring Joe or pester politicians. We will rebirth ourselves as innovators, inventors and entrepreneurs. I do believe.

I do believe Engerland will win the Eurovision and Uncle Terry will change his mind and return to his post. I do believe I will make that life changing decision about my career. And yes I do believe Ive been taking about it for over 2 years. In 1989 I was 9.5 Stone, bottle blond and 5’11". I do belive I could be all that again, but I went off blond when I signed up to a pension plan. But I do believe I will stay off the fags, long haul vodka sessions and generally clean up my act. I do believe.

I do believe the FAI will be disbanded. I do believe a Cabinet Re-Shuffle will be on us before the next Budget. I do believe Isreal will no longer have an American Buddy. I do believe Farmer will get a girlfriend and I do believe a Kilkenny Player will finally get a Red Card. I’m gonna will the lotto too.

But I do believe Cork will bate Kerry again. I do believe Sam Maguire is ours for 2009.
I do believe Cork will be once again Munster Hurling Champions and I do believe I will be in Croke Park that First Sunday on the ninth month to see Tip bate the spoilt brats. I do believe, I believe in 20 years cycles. I do believe in History repeating itself.

So no boat trips for anyone and Joe Canning better get his story straight before Tip lawyer up and look for a loophole.

PS: For Plug-Sake, my book Torva Venia starts its tale in 1989 too.

1 Like

will mags kelly breathe in 2010 Maire? thats what i want to know

What’s this Marchioness Riverboat thing MGG?

Boat that crashed on the thames, it was a kind of party boat. Dallaglios sister was killed on it is the only reason I have heard of it. His mother was the head of the campaign for justice for the dead.

It was run over by a 2000 ton Ready Mix Concrete Dredger called Bowbelle. It sank instantly. 51 died, in the dark, trapped and helpless.

I didn tknow all the details obviosuly.

Did you really write a book or is that some very obscure joke above

Good read that MGG.

If Cork footballers win the All Ireland then I’ll give you €25 to donate to a charity of your choice.

Never gonna happen.

[quote=“Bandage”]Good read that MGG.

If Cork footballers win the All Ireland then I’ll give you 25 to donate to a charity of your choice.

Never gonna happen.[/quote]

I believe Bondage, I’m a beliver.

Never gonna happen is a dangerous statement to make; Cork Footballers are as close to AI success as the winners of the last 3.

Year End getting to you Bondage.

[quote=“Mairegangaire”] Cork Footballers are as close to AI success as the winners of the last 3.
[/quote]

huh?

Was also the day that I went to see Ireland beat Hungary 2-0, the day Ayatollah Khomeini died and the day 1990 started. So said Roddy Doyle anyway.

Yup; June Bank Holiday 1989. And old Mr Kehoe remembered the Dad and gave me a free drink.

You read Lol book Dan? Good read. Grudging respect for that fella.

ya good read. Id say hes a grand fella to be honest. hes not from the background id imagine most thnk he is (i.e. silver spoon in the mouth)

You can see the difference in Wasps without him.

He got plenty of it in Thomond last season but took it in the spirit it was intended.

He has been over to clonmel rugby club last few seasons for there dinner dance (presume he was paid well) and lads there said he was salt of the earth, and well able to tuck away the booze

[quote=“dancarter”]ya good read. Id say hes a grand fella to be honest. hes not from the background id imagine most thnk he is (i.e. silver spoon in the mouth)

He got plenty of it in Thomond last season but took it in the spirit it was intended.

He has been over to clonmel rugby club last few seasons for there dinner dance (presume he was paid well) and lads there said he was salt of the earth, and well able to tuck away the booze[/quote]

seen him do push ups with two broads on his back in Teds about 10 years ago, he looked like a plonker and i cant get that image of the man out of my mind!

[quote=“dancarter”]ya good read. Id say hes a grand fella to be honest. hes not from the background id imagine most thnk he is (i.e. silver spoon in the mouth)

He has been over to clonmel rugby club last few seasons for there dinner dance (presume he was paid well) and lads there said he was salt of the earth, and well able to tuck away the booze[/quote]

Yea he came across as a decent fella to me, cocky as fuck, but show me one top class sportsman who isnt in his own way. Real London boy, and I’d agree with what you have to say bout Wasps with and without him. The bit about his sister was a real heartache, especially for his mam who comes across as a real Irish mammy.

HBV

Im sure you wouldnt have wanted an audience for all the efforts youv made to get your hole over the years in fairness!!!

Cure played RDS 15 July. Best gig

Two steaming hot weekends, two 2-0 home wins against Hungary and Malta. The oul lad couldn’t take us so we were up the mountains with the relations. Just walking. Those were the summers where you’d go out off up the mountains of a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, and you’d just walk. Not to the boozer or out for a bit of grub, you’d just walk. Maybe a bit of grub in a cooler box at a push, and a radio with batteries so us kids could listen to the match. No mobiles, none of that shit. Just a day out up the mountains. 20 years, fuckin hell, it’s gone fast, too fast.

1 Like

[quote=“dancarter”]HBV

Im sure you wouldnt have wanted an audience for all the efforts youv made to get your hole over the years in fairness!!![/quote]

if you attempt to get laid by doing push ups on the side of a dancefloor in a citycentre nightclub with two slappers on your back then you cant complain about an audience Dan

Thats not the point I was making HBV. The point I was making was Im sure you (as we all have) have made dicks of ourselves trying to get laid before.