20 Years to 2009. History to Repeat itself

fair enough point i suppose

[quote=ā€œMairegangaireā€]It may come as no surprise but for me 1989 was the year the world changed. 1989 was the year that had everything. Did ye know the day Bob Dylan played the RDS in the first of his hooded anorak tours that Tanks rolled down Tiananmen Square and I was found playing soccer in Sandymount Green (goal clean sheet too) It was the day the world changed, the Berlin wall was to follow. Less then three months after the Chinese declared war on its own Citizens, the Marchioness Riverboat sank, while I knew three of the dead personally, it was my birthday and I was a cheque clearing away from being there myself, a lesson in mortality for me but it effectively ended the original Rave party for everyone else. But what was also memorable about 1989was the Championship Season. So much so, that one of its many events continues to be talked about to this day.

It was a season that had everything. Committees and more Committees, Sending Offs and Slap Downs, Handy Penalties and Blind Refs (depending on your view), there was another Mayo Final Loss but it was an occassion of celebration none the less, there was a Standing Ovation, and in the end, a due and honest reward. Cork on their Fourth attempt (ok three plus one replay) got the Sam Maguire finally back, and Tip, who in my opinion, had the hardest roughest durtiest run to a Final thus far in my lifetime, clutched McCarthy between their stinky buttery glaumours.

I feel this year will be the same in terms of mammoth life changing events. Recession hits will get harder as the year grows and there will be no recovery for some, benchmarking will be found out to be the big black hole that will permanently bankrupt the State, the destruction of Gaza (and Gazza too) will be apocalyptic, but good will still prevail. Obama will lead on the side of humanity and what is right. I do believe it. I do believe certain Zionist fascists will see the inside of the Hague this year. I do believe. I do believe the Paddies will take this recession and turn the country around without the need to ring Joe or pester politicians. We will rebirth ourselves as innovators, inventors and entrepreneurs. I do believe.

I do believe Engerland will win the Eurovision and Uncle Terry will change his mind and return to his post. I do believe I will make that life changing decision about my career. And yes I do believe Ive been taking about it for over 2 years. In 1989 I was 9.5 Stone, bottle blond and 5ā€™11". I do belive I could be all that again, but I went off blond when I signed up to a pension plan. But I do believe I will stay off the fags, long haul vodka sessions and generally clean up my act. I do believe.

I do believe the FAI will be disbanded. I do believe a Cabinet Re-Shuffle will be on us before the next Budget. I do believe Isreal will no longer have an American Buddy. I do believe Farmer will get a girlfriend and I do believe a Kilkenny Player will finally get a Red Card. Iā€™m gonna will the lotto too.

But I do believe Cork will bate Kerry again. I do believe Sam Maguire is ours for 2009.
I do believe Cork will be once again Munster Hurling Champions and I do believe I will be in Croke Park that First Sunday on the ninth month to see Tip bate the spoilt brats. I do believe, I believe in 20 years cycles. I do believe in History repeating itself.

So no boat trips for anyone and Joe Canning better get his story straight before Tip lawyer up and look for a loophole.

writing style is familiar. Reminds me of a cyber basher publican

PS: For Plug-Sake, my book Torva Venia starts its tale in 1989 too.[/quote]

Just in case you need to cut back

[quote=ā€œBandageā€]Good read that MGG.

If Cork footballers win the All Ireland then Iā€™ll give you 25 to donate to a charity of your choice.
Never gonna happen.[/quote]

Your local RNLI
ta

1 Like

[quote=ā€œMairegangaireā€]Your local RNLI
ta[/quote]

:clap:

[quote=ā€œMairegangaireā€]Your local RNLI
ta[/quote]

Very generous of both you and Bandage, MGG, fair playā€¦:popcorn:

Bandage is an alright sort, however I do feel sorry that its likely the RNLI may never get to hold some of Bandageā€™s hard earned cash.

Whatā€™s this all about then? :clap:

Well if he has objections his local Mountain Rescue team will do.

You donā€™t get posts like this here anymore

Iā€™m not entirely sure if thatā€™s a bad thing or a good thing but I think itā€™s a bad thing

Nice little ā€œit could have been meā€ in there too

2 Likes

Did @Bandage ever donate the 25euro to charity?

Cork lost that final but she wasnā€™t far wrong

They won the following year tho?

Good days though I did the same hiking to grianain an aileach from Derry across the border from our little house 8 mileā€™s each way - oldest 13 /14youngest 8/9 ,water/ 7 up/ sambos , no traffic -peace ( ok a small bit of grumbling) eldest girl 39 still talks about it,if u did it now theyā€™d ring bloody childline

Perhaps you werenā€™t policing the Internet at tightly back then

1 Like