2016 Ulster Senior Football Championsip - Its happening again

Mickey Harte rocking the Tim Sherwood-style gilet look in his post match interview with BBC.

Is he still boycotting RTÉ over them demoting Brian Cathy?

It wasn’t over the demotion of Brian Carthy, it was over a horribly inappropriate “comedy” sketch on the John Murray show

Typical Munster hurling dirge . Fellas fighting, pulling and dragging . Low scoring.

Tyrone done what they had to today, but you couldn’t read much into that.

Derry are essentially a league team for heavy winter ground.

Agreed.

Barton also looks pretty clueless as a manager.

We do look much more ruthless compared to last year.

We played some teams that were worse than Derry last year and we had problems putting those games to bed. We had the game over after about 20 minutes today and looked ruthless in front of the posts when the there was a bit of intensity to the game.

Ewan very dismissive of Tyrone

I can understand skepticism of Tyrone, they still have a lot of questions to answer but they certainly seem to be purring nicely ahead of those big questions.

There is Dublin, who will quite rightly be huge favourites for this.

Then there are the others.

A Kerry team who are beaten before the game even starts when it comes to Dublin. They are slated to meet them in the AI semi-final with all things going to plan. They are another year older and some of the older guys plugging holes like O’Mahony and O’Se are going to get seriously exposed some day.

There is Mayo, who knows about Mayo. Ignore the league anyway but they’ve been there for four or five years now and their Achilles heel has been fucking things up when they have their destiny in their own hands. There are huge mental issues there, they have a pourous full back line and not enough quality from play in their forward line. They are the one team who have some pedigree at the minute when it comes to Dublin you would feel but they likely would not meet them until the final - where they inevitably implode.

Donegal look done but who knows, I wrote them off in 2013 as done and they came back and really should have won the AI in 2014. I really doubt they will feature heavily in business end, too many big players are past it and the younger crop don’t look ready at this stage. Still have a mental stranglehold on Tyrone so could take them in Ulster but they will struggle in Croke Park - they don’t have the legs and are too reliant on a few of their forwards for scores.

Then you have Tyrone, the emerging side, the team of the unknowns. It’s the known vs the unknowns here but as far as I see it, when you compare the knowns with Dublin, they are short of it at the minute. Tyrone - we don’t know that for sure. What I do see and what bores confidence with me is the focus and confidence of the gameplan we implement. All the players know their role, they look supremely fit, they are focused and they play the games on their terms. Contrast that with Kerry who have to play a game they clearly don’t like and relish playing because they have to cater their lack of pace, their weakness in defence will be exposed - the likes of Cooper tracking his man back the pitch, Sheehan puffing himself out following runners, O’Mahony and O’Se gassed at the 50 minute mark - it doesn’t bode well. We all know the chinks in Mayo, brittle in the heat of the moment, pourous at the back, forwards going missing when it matters. Big questions to answer but as far as I feel, when it come to a head on battle with Dublin, I think Tyrone are the best equipped to topple them out of those 3.

I also think our inside forward men are highly underrated - McCurry, O’Neill and particularly McAliskey are excellent players, Brennan looks a good talent too but has yet to play senior Championship. There are very few forwards I would swap for McAliskey right now particularly with the style we play.

We’ll see, but I’m happy people keep doubting us. I only hope we get the credit we deserve for the football we play if we do go on and prove them wrong, not the usual slurs and propaganda that goes the way of Ulster football from RTE and their ilk.

1 Like

Cavan (SFC v Armagh): Raymond Galligan; Padraig Faulkner, Killian Clarke, Rory Dunne; Feargal Flanagan, Conor Moynagh, Niall Murray; Tomas Corr, Liam Buchanan; Dara McVeety, Gearoid McKiernan, Martin Reilly; David Givney, Michael Argue, Sean Johnston.

Armagh team:

Patrick Morrison; James Morgan, Charlie Vernon, Mark Shields; Andy Mallon, Aidan Forker, Ciaran McKeever (captain); Brendan Donaghy, Ethan Rafferty; Rory Grugan, Tony Kernan, Ciaran O’Hanlon; Colm Watters, Stefan Campbell, Gavin McParland

1 Like

Hon Keezer. :ronnyroar:

That’s a half decent looking Armagh team. I thought there were signs they were beginning to get it together in the latter stages of the league and I’m taking them to win on Sunday.

1 Like

Just looking at the line ups there, James Morgan v Sean Johnston is going to be a box office clash.

Morgan is just the type of snakey corner back who’ll get right inside Seanie’s head.

The woman who was carrying the Cavan flag at the Athletic Grounds on Sunday has pointed the finger of blame in the direction of Armagh captain Ciaran McKeever.

Ballyconnell native Paula Brady, a member of the St Michael’s Band, Enniskillen, gave her version of accounts to the Anglo Celt newspaper and she accused McKeever and his team-mates of instigating the unsightly melee.

"The Armagh captain came up and said ‘Move’. I said ‘pardon?’ and he said ‘Move to f**k to the other side’ … If he had asked me politely, I’d have said ‘certainly, no problem’.

“It has happened before, we just go with the flow.”

Ms Brady - who also revealed that the woman carrying the Armagh flag was an aunt of an Orchard County player - added: "The Cavan team were supposed to be behind the Cavan flag and they came to where they were supposed to be.

“Armagh weren’t for moving and that’s when the shuffling started.”

She believes McKeever should get his “knuckles rapped”.

"I think he should be spoken to. We have a great affiliation to the Armagh team, they share picnics with us at matches in Clones and it is a lovely rapport. That was spoiled on Sunday.

:ronnyroar:

1 Like

Hand pass Billy wound that McKeever up right good with a few bars of a song.

:popcorn:

Who the fuck is still getting caught by this stuff

In his 30s rules out my prime suspect.

Thought Roger Wilson was up to no good again.

Hon Armagh!