2017 All Ireland final Galway v Waterford - Pretend Galway Fans spouting shit

So are Tuohy and Ozzie both free to play?

Yes.

Gleeson cleared.

Glad he can play but you’ve got to question the refereeing competence of Owens if he saw the incident and said it was all in order.

That or he had someone in his ear from Croke Park telling him to say he’d dealt with it at the time and he was happy to play along.

He saw it and his linesman saw it and they thought nothing of it. Can’t understand the hoohah about all this. Lads are mad to see players banned.

5 Likes

There was nothing in it,

I don’t like how this retrospective banning is creeping into hurling.

1 Like

A Gleeson vs McInerney matchup will be key in this final.

Agreed. If it’s not picked up by officials in real time then what goes on the field, stays on the field.

It’s fucking gas. You have creeps like Eddie Brennan and Michael Duignan going on about how they love 15 on 15 manly hurling and then they are screaming for a young fella to be banned for a technical offense where no one was hurt in the slightest and was dealt with by the ref. Duignan the cunt that broke a fella in two with a Hurley and got a booking for it.

13 Likes

Think Galway’s game plan all year has always been tailored to the likelihood of an encounter with Waterford. They have had a prep match against Wexford who play a similar style albeit with roving defenders who are given licence to move up the field and take a score. You will never see Conor Gleeson/De Burca/Noel Connors doing likewise.

They have been playing a lot of diagonal balls trying to take out the sweeper and instead of getting goals and running into trouble they have been quite content at shooting from out the field. I think they will out point just about any team. I just don’t think Waterford have the spread of scorers that Galway have.

We put up our best performance of the year and still fell short in the semi final. If anything I thought we were hanging onto their coat tails a bit and if we had won it would have been a sickening one for Galway to take. We had our chances but realistically I felt Galway were 4 points a better team on the day.

Noel Connors will probably be tasked to mark Conor Whelan and will be assisted by Tadhg De Burca but Whelan is in the kind of mood this year that he could still do wreck. Barry Coughlan could be exposed on a rejuvenated Conor Cooney. I think there could be too many fires for De Burca to be putting out back there when I look at the potential match ups. I haven’t even mentioned the likes of Flynn, Mannion and Glynn off the bench who could be game winners in their own right. The loss of Conor Gleeson will be felt hugely as he has put the shackles on Richie Hogan, Conor McDonald and did a bit of damage limitation on Conor Lehane already this year. I think he would have been matched against big Joe and it’ll be interesting to see what waterford do here now.

Galways back line has a very solid look about it. Tipp created a few openings but they would do that against any team. I would have identified Hanbury as a potential weak link but he looks a different player to years gone by. In many ways he is a microcosm of the improvement in Galway this year.

Ultimately I think Waterford would need a net 2 goals difference on Galway to have a chance. They scored early goals against Cork and Wexford just before half time. Those games ebbed and flowed with the first goal meaning that Waterford had to just jab their way through the rest of the encounter to use boxing parlance. I am discounting anything that happened after Cahalane got sent off as its not a true reflection. Galway will be wary of not allowing Waterford to draw first blood.

Score Prediction: Galway 1-24 Waterford 0-21

13 Likes

Well said mate,

Fully agree.

And Brennan who cut the balls of a 19 year old Seamus Hickey…

2 Likes

@Fagan_ODowd
will you make it to September?

5 Likes

Brennan should have left the field in a stretcher that day.

9 Likes

I think I’m correct in saying that Waterford captain Kevin Moran’s father is a Galway man. The hurling comes from the mothers side. The mother hails from a good hurling family in Bagenalstown (a part of the world well versed in providing the captain on All Ireland Hurling Final Day).

1 Like

He got man of the match that day

I think he got unfair criticism for the TDB incident as he acted of the info of the linesman.

I think Lyons could make a bollox of the AI and be way too whistle happy which would suit GY.

If people want the game to flow but want illegal hand passes, too many steps and charging properly officiated then Horgan is the proper call here.
Horgan also has the gumption to talk to players & give signals immediately as to what the free is for.

Lyons is an absolute numpty imo.

1 Like

There is a perception that Horgan diddled us in the u21

He did in his bollocks, 'twas a major lack of concentration in seeing out the game done Waterford.

Horgan is honest, he takes his role as a referee extremely seriously.

1 Like

You may be right.

Think back carefully all WD supporters…