2017 All Ireland final Galway v Waterford - Pretend Galway Fans spouting shit

Horseshite. Anyone I talk to are saying that Waterford have timed their run to perfection and are going to win it, as they have no fear or respect for Galway. More luck to them if they do it I say.

I never read a book with as many typos and factual errors . That said the book wasnā€™t too bad .

ā€˜Total accidentā€™ :laughing:

ā€˜It was a total accidentā€™ - Austin Gleeson speaks about helmet controversy
Updated / Monday, 21 Aug 2017 20:30 19

Austin Gleeson admits his relief at being free to play in All-Ireland final
Waterford hurler Austin Gleeson has described the infamous helmet incident with Corkā€™s Luke Meade in the All-Ireland semi-final as a ā€œtotal accidentā€ and expressed his relief that he is free to play in the All-Ireland final.

Gleeson scored a memorable second half goal to put Waterford five points clear of Cork with eleven minutes remaining. But most of the post-match hubbub revolved a first-half incident in which Gleeson was seen to grip the faceguard from Meadeā€™s helmet and pull it off his head.

Two Waterford players - Stephen Bennett and Tadhg De Burca - have both received one-game suspensions for helmet interference already this season, with the latterā€™s case in particular provoking much debate around the rule.

A ban had been widely anticipated but referee James Owens intervened, telling the CCCC that he was satisfied with how he officiated the incident.

Once a referee intervenes in such a manner, the case is automatically closed and Gleeson was thus free to play in the All-Ireland final.

It later emerged, via Morning Ireland, that the CCCC were unhappy they werenā€™t given the chance to adjudicate on the incident.

Speaking to RTƉ 2FMā€™s Game On, the 2016 Hurler of the Year insisted that the incident was wholly accidental.

ā€œIt was a total accident, I suppose. We donā€™t really want to dwell on it but it was a total accident. It was after the match that it came out that it could be in bother. But thankfully nothing came out of it and Iā€™m looking forward to playing in the final.ā€

Gleeson said that it never occurred to him in real time that something might be awry and it was only after the match that he was informed that a controversy was brewing.

"It was more so after the game when I was informed what happened. When it happened I didnā€™t really realise what was after happening. I just took it as it came. And thankfully, in the end, I got out of it.

"There was nothing said at all afterwards. We were too busy celebrating getting into an All-Ireland final. We were just happy and ecstatic in the dressing room.

ā€œIā€™m just happy that Iā€™m able to play on the 3rd of September in the All-Ireland final. Thatā€™s the main thing for me.ā€

On the matter of the rule itself, Gleeson acknowledges that helmet interference is potentially dangerous and doesnā€™t wish to see it discarded. But he would like to see greater clarification on the rule.

ā€œWe need more clarification on the rule, more so than a change of rule. It is dangerous to the sport. Maybe if the rule was clarified a bit more, there might be less incidents.ā€

Iā€™m glad that Austin cleared that up.

9 Likes

Whatever you say, say nothin. Needs to be left alone now

Very decent of Austin to take time out from his All Ireland Final preparations to clarify that. End of matter.

3 Likes

Fair play to him. Heā€™s not that type of player anyway.

2 Likes

Itā€™s clearly on his mind and bothering him no end. Not an ideal prep for a lad heading into his first AIF

2 Likes

Pat Horan, the man who sent off Eamonn Scallan saying that he always used common sense!!! And he sent off Dunne and Oā€™Meara at the behest of Pat Aherne FFS and then sent off Mitch Jordan on a straight red for a loose pull in the same game. Common sense indeed, Pat.

A nice chap though. He has been seen holidaying in Wexford a few times.

Pat Oā€™Connor was a decent referee in his day.

1 Like

Austin is one of those lads that should be banned from doing live interviews.

2 Likes

Iā€™d say whatā€™s bothering him most is facing this formidable Galway team.

There has to be emotional investment in something for there to be heartbreak.

Galway have the worst support of any hurling county and the worst support of any regularly contending GAA county team.

At least the Cork football support, who are almost as bad, always turn up for the biennial jaunt to Killarney.

4 Likes

A classic cliche but undoubtedly true in this case.

The support for club hurling in Galway is brilliant , the current team is well supported.

There was never a culture of provincial championship in Galway which I think affected the support for county team .

3 Likes

Iā€™d say heā€™s worried about having his every move watched to see if he accidentally gets up to no good again. Iā€™m sure the Galway backs will have a nice welcome for him and put him at ease.

Me bollocks.
Was chatting to a staunch Galway follower who remarked their support is embarrassing compared to other counties. But, he fears the bandwagon supporters will take tickets now.

1 Like

Iā€™d say @flattythehurdler will be ok for tickets.

Me & @flattythehurdler will be watching from a Corporate Box. :clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

Why would we go up to places like the Hill and risk contracting Hep C. The Dubs are playing the Sunday before. Hope they give it a good sterilisation for the hurling. Be vigilant hurling fans.

7 Likes

:rollseyes:

1 Like