2017 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Now that I think about it, it’s not as obvious. He would definitely challenge Finnegan and Tommy Joyce. You also have to factor how good he would be with the supporting cast, compared to what he has been and is playing with. If Mayo had a marquee forward like Joyce, Fallon or a goal poacher like Derek Savage they would have won an AI.

1 Like

No, 2001

He most certainly wouldn’t have made the Galway 3 in a row team. No room for acting the bollox there, one of his own would have laid him out.

If Mayo had Ja Fallon, or Padraic Joyce or Donnellan last year I think they would have won AI ( granted at 1998 to 2001 form ) If they had Derek Savage they might well had won .

Don’t be silly, midfield is average and the 1-6 a shambles at times. We have plenty of good forwards, need a fucking solid keeper, a dominant FB and we won’t be far off.

Shay Walsh was a grafter if truth told .

I mean Mayo . If Mayo has a forward of the calibre of any of those three they would have won last year .

Agreed, they might have won 2 or 3.

Sorry a typo .

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. They were rarities

Not really, most AI winners have one or two marquee forwards. It’s what Mayo are lacking. O’Connor for all his attributes doesn’t reach those heights in AI finals.

If mayo had the baysht theyd win sam

4 Likes

He was in good form yesterday, a hungry lad.

Ah but they were 2 of the greatest forwards in my lifetime. PJ in particular. As nice a player and as clever as Ja was, PJ longevity and all round game was unreal.

Those lads deserve to be talked about with Maurice Fitz and the likes.

I agree with your point though. Point i always made about Donegal when people were saying they were just a systematic defensive team. They had savage forwards.

2 Likes

O’Connor is probably better than Savage too. Savage was lucky that he fed off Fallon, Joyce and Donnellan. He was a decent inter-county player but definitely not top class.

Paul Clancy however was under-rated. Had a very languid style but very effective.

He complemented Fallon, Joyce and Donnellan in a similar way to how Ross Carr complemented the Greg Blaney/Mickey Linden/James McCartan axis for Down.

1 Like

Possibly better but Savage was a bit quicker. I take your point about the back up cast but my point is that the Mayo forwards of today are average compared to Galway 1999 - 2001 ,

It was my point about the back up cast, but I’ll let Sidney have it.
Completely different players. Clancy very unlucky to miss out in 98, natural footballer in the Tom Naughton mould with great vision.
Savage would get you a goal when most needed, and needed constant close attention. A livewire.

Tommy bulmers played most of his football in the hb line ffs

1 Like

I very much doubt any of the 3 would have been able to show 98-01 form last year mate

You have to think of the wider implications too. Even if Joyce ends up kicking a couple of points for them what sort of message are they sending to the young forwards in Mayo by picking a 40 year old Galwegian? Some lads on here seem to know very little about the game.