2017 All Ireland Under 21 Football Championship

Undoubted talent but will he get enough gametime?

Will he even get a chance with Dublin this year? McHugh and Scully have been going well, Brogan, Flynn and Connolly have yet to really come back in. He likely won’t be involved until Championship and likely well down the pecking order then.

Oisin O’Neill would be my bet.

Donegal 6 up in injury time.

Tyrone down to 14.

Thanks for the updates @Nembo_Kid

He’s the Armagh fella?

Will they go far enough in the Championship to be considered? It’s only ever been twice won by teams who haven’t reached a semi-final at the very least- Murphy in 2009 and McAnallen in 2001. I can’t remember who the other candidates in those years but both are pretty exceptional players and probably had enough big matches to win the award.

I don’t see Armagh going far enough.

I fancy them to make an Ulster final this year.

Down in the quarters and Fermanagh/Monaghan/Cavan in the semis should they pass that test.

Looking at the top 6 counties:

Dublin
Mayo
Kerry
Tyrone
Donegal
Monaghan

How many u21s are likely to play a really prominent role with those sides? Maybe a few with Donegal but that’s about it.

Armagh look like they could be about to get it together, forward line looking very good of late, if they can get the defence right then they could well click and have a similar run to 2014. Dyas could be back later in the year too.

O Callaghan is way better than Scully and McHugh. This fella is going to be a star. Remember where you heard it first

I don’t doubt that but as of yet he hasn’t had any opportunities.

Would Gavin be likely to throw him in ahead of the rest, particularly when McHugh and Scully have done pretty well so far and the more established players already returning? If there’s a meritocracy then a lot of those guys could feel hard done by. It’s not as if Dublin are crying out for top class forwards at the minute.

Due to circumstances I believe O’Callaghan will have to bide his time.

I couldn’t see Armagh beating Monaghan in an Ulster semi-final tbh.

I don’t think any of the big teams will have hugely prominent U-21s, but there only needs to be 1 or 2 decently performing. If Kerry were to start Brian O’Beaglaioch, or even give a run to Killian Spillane or one of their forwards from the bench, they could get in.

If O’Callaghan was used as an impact sub by Gavin and Dublin were to win the All-Ireland.

Then Donegal have the likes of Eoghan Bán Gallagher, Jason McGee and one or two others who have been starting in the league. I don’t know how well Donegal are likely to go this year but one of them could be in with a shout.

Can’t see any odds online atm though.

I see what you are saying, but I think he is that good that he will force his way in one way or the other by the business end of things.

I could if Armagh get it together, I think the potential is there.

They’ve been disappointing under McGeeney so far but there are indications that they’re beginning to put it together. Time will tell in any case.

Oisin O’Neill is a super footballer though, I’d say he’s as good as anything out there at this particular age level.

O’Callaghan is very good and shoots the lights out at his own age level as he is also extremely big and strong. Think it will take him a year or two to get regular game time at senior level to push for young player of the year. Would class him better than McHugh. Prob on a par with Costello.

Is Costello injured at the moment? I haven’t noticed him featuring in the league.

Re potential YPOTY candidates, is that Ciarán Thompson from Donegal under 21? He’s really impressed me with his long range point scoring.

1 Like

Nope.

Donegal players u21 who have been involved in league duty so far have been:

Jamie Brennan
Eoin Ban Gallagher
Michael Langan
Cian Mulligan
Stephen McBrearty
Michael Carroll
Jason McGee (currently injured)

Ciaran Gillespie played quite a bit for Donegal in last year’s championship and made his first start of the season for Donegal this evening having been injured.

That’s quite an involvement of players though. Been disappointed with the progress of Stephen McBrearty however.

1 Like

A beaut of a left foot. Be interesting to see how he goes in the summer. Donegal are really an exciting prospect at the moment. The McHughs are ridiculous.

O’Callaghan’s style isn’t unlike Kevin McManamon but he’s way more skilful. He could be an absolutely devastating impact sub.

I agree with @binkybarnes that he will force his way into consideration, although I also think McHugh will nail down a starting place this year.

Competition for forward places for Dublin this year will be unprecedented for any team ever.

[quote=“Sidney, post:138, topic:23911, full:true”]

any chance Flynn, Brogan, McMenamen might be slipping a bit Sidney!? I hope so anyways from a Kerry point of view. Wishful thinking?

Sligo beat Roscommon by 3 points tonight

Flynn and Brogan have slipped for sure. They still have the smarts to make a contribution though.

Brogan will be an impact sub.

I think Flynn has an eye on being the midfield partner for Fenton.