2018 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

I think you’re deluded about the level Monaghan are at.

We fucking beat the shit out of Tyrone today and Tyrone were good. Fluke goal at the end to spare your blushes or possibly to allow you to continue in your dangerous dream world.

What have I said about Monaghan that’s wrong? I think they could beat any team on their day exceptional Dublin and probably lose to anyone too. How’s that deluded.

5 Likes

You have a bizarre take on beating the shite out of it. I won’t make excuses for today. It’s May though, you’re getting ahead of yourself.

Great post.

3 Likes

First goal but he’s a good man to kick scores.

1 Like

Bump

9 Likes

Why can’t Monaghan do it in Croke Park on championship days ?

You could see Monaghan winning Ulster (I fancy Donegal myself) and then losing to someone like Roscommon in HQ.

The jury is still out for me

It’s cause ulster football is shit

1 Like

McAliskey was decent today I thought. Had to do a lot himself. I was surprised with how poor Tyrone were on the break. They had fuck all of the ball but really struggled to get anything together.

They were a disaster on the Monaghan kickouts. Did not apply any pressure at all.

What do you think went wrong? Brennan, Harte, Cavanagh, Donnelly all off the boil. Loads of cheap frees given away. Not what I was expecting. Thought Monaghan were superb though.

It was a good game, but it wasn’t a fast game. Miles off the pace of August football.

My problem with Monaghan is I think they have big problems on the energy-sapping turf (cc: of @mickee321) of Croke Park when the pace is upped. They’re very good in chess game type situations like today.

I think Tyrone have a greater capacity to live with high pace, high intensity football but you have to be at a certain pitch for that to come off.

I think Tipperary were another example today in hurling. They were trying to play an August-type game but weren’t at the levels of touch, fitness and intensity they would be at in August.

People talk about “championship intensity”, but championship teams aren’t at championship intensity in May.

2 Likes

Just on the day. Beggan was flawless on long distance frees and Monaghan in general were hungrier and more clutch when the chances presented themselves.

Don’t think Tyrone were that bad but they got tactics on the kickouts wrong and were beaten up a stick in the middle of the pitch which I found surprising. I don’t agree with starting the three lads in the full forward line as we didn’t really have any option to spring from the bench, McCurry is a big loss this year, he’s very inconsistent but he’s always a good option to have to bring in.

There were a few positives, Frank Burns was outstanding, Meyler had a good game, young McKernan showed up very well and McAliskey was on song. I thought Brennan and McAliskey showed well for the ball and won a lot of ball in the first half. The problem for Tyrone was gaining the primary possession, Monaghan must have won every kickout of their own.

Monaghan were the hungrier team on the day and got a deserved victory though but I would still say Tyrone are a level above them and if they were to meet in Croke Park further down the line then I’d fancy Tyrone to turn them over. Getting the likes of Cavanagh and McCann back up to speed will be important, hope the injury to Bradley is not too bad as we’re light on options at the minute up top.

Going in at half time 2 points down was a big blow for Tyrone as they were definitely good value to be leading at that stage.

The unerring accuracy of long distance frees won’t always happen with Monaghan. They hit 9 points today from placed balls. They got about 7 out of 8 frees from around the 45 yard line. That’s a phenomenal return and not really sustainable in future.

Monaghan hit 9 points from dead balls, I’d say about 7 of those points were from really long distance which you’d probably be happy with a 60% return.

Tyrone hit 6 points from dead balls but 4 of them were pretty much gimmees in front of the posts.

I find that really annoying. The point of the highlights is to show the best/key bits of the game, but RTÉ instead decide to keep some of the major scores/incidents for the “talking bit.” I guess it beats not showing them at all, which they’re prone to doing too.

Some teams are at championship intensity in may though. I cant see monaghan or galway being more up for games than they were today and last week. It’s only natural that teams target earlier games when they have to.

Good recall.

It was Ronan Lynch

Vinny Corey made his championship debut in 2003 according to The Sunday Game. He’s some hardy campaigner.

Tyrone got their scores much easier than Monaghan today. One of the things that went wrong in 2015, the big thing that went wrong in fact, was Monaghan couldn’t cope with teams running right at them and I don’t really think that’s changed. Certainly the personnel in the backs is unchanged. So maybe yes, Tyrone will do better in July / August but Monaghan should still be targeting the semis.

Any time Monaghan got possession today they slowed it down, they hardly broke with pace at all until McCarthy came on.

That Morgan cunt is some clown