2018 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

didn’t see it. Did he draw the boot?

I think you’re deluded about the level Tyrone are at.

2 Likes

Tyrone are a level above Monaghan.

Mickey Harte on Con O’Callaghan’s goal:

“People think you make excuses but it is those little things that happen in a game that don’t seem particularly significant. But they are huge. It wasn’t even the goal itself. It was the lead up to the goal: this is a run-of-the-mill play in a game of football. People are going forward. They [Tyrone] are on the front foot. They make a little handling error and are turned over. And often a team will pay to some extent. But sometimes, you pay a high price. And we paid a high price that day. If you look at it – and this is not to make excuses but if you look at it you’ll see – the referee got a little bit in the way.

“Niall Sludden passes to Paudie Hampsey and the referee is kind of in his peripheral vision as he runs and Paudie just didn’t handle it perfectly. Ciarán Kilkenny comes in and challenges for it. The ball breaks perfectly for Dublin rather than us. Into the hands of Philly McMahon who kicks it to the man [Con O’Callaghan] who is supposed to be marking Paudie Hampsey. Because he is number 11.

“And if the number six goes forward and the 11 watches him go, well, I don’t think that’s good practice. So he should have been after Hampsey! Now, he gets the ball 45 metres out. We aren’t totally blame-free here because our philosophy is that if the centre-half goes, somebody should take his place. Nobody did. We didn’t observe our own rule.

“But his [O’Callaghan] not following Hampsey left him in this place where he was free. After that, you have to give him full credit for his ability and his ambition to go for goal. He didn’t really have any business to go for a goal. A young fella like him just into the team… I know he is a quality player and all the rest. He could have been happy to take a nice point but he decided to go for the jugular. Obviously he would believe in his own ability to go past a static defender. But then he went on and said: ‘I am going to bury this.’ So I’d have to give him full credit for that.

“Now, he got it in a way I wouldn’t like – by not being an honest broker and going after the man he should have done! That’s neither here nor there. But that changed the entire tenor of that game. We felt we could contain them for 45 minutes. The goal cut a hole in the team – not just on the scoreboard but psychologically. Conceding a goal like that was not something we did very often – particularly so early in the game and through the heart of our defence.”

He takes a sip of coffee and thinks about those few seconds. Kenny Rogers is singing about love gone awry in the background. The new football season is just days away.

1 Like

Spoke to an insider about DC yesterday and his reasons for leaving for now. Linked to recent troubles off the pitch that have been reported on.

You are fucking stupid

4 Likes

I’m correct.

It might just depend on the situation, or maybe as the year goes on we’ll discover it doesn’t even depend on the situation.

You’ll appreciate though that it comes across as arrogant - Monaghan beat Tyrone in the league, finished above Tyrone in the league, took slightly less of a whooping of Dublin last year and now beat them in the Championship in Tyrone (should have been by 5 points). You’re saying “a level above”.

Tyrone have made progress from last year though. The interplay in the Tyrone forward lines was good, especially when they worked it into the corners and always seemed to have an overlap.

They’ll find it very hard to win tight physical matches without S Cavanagh,

2 Likes

fucking hell, thats mad stuff. Doesnt appreciate O Callaghans goal because O Callaghan didnt follow his man up the field. That is utterly naive stuff from Harte. Dublin are confident enough in their defence that they can leave opposing defenders go up the field, knowing they have cover and that if a break happens, they have very quick outlets to a free man. you cant rely on the opponents forward players to follow your defenders as a tactic of your team.

4 Likes

I have said this for years. Harte should have left 4 years ago to allow young lads and Cavanagh et al get a good mix together.

He is publicly saying it now but I know Cavanagh has been frustrated for years with the approach.

1 Like

It would be very funny if Cavanagh was eyeing up the Tyrone job and publicly attacking Harte. He’d never be thinking of that would he?

AS oft mentioned, but he has an Arsene Wenger type set up now, had great success but is too self absorbed to see the bigger picture.

But I never thought for a second that he wouldnt acknowledge how other teams play. In that piece there, he seems to think that Dublin will only play tactics as Mickey Harte thinks they should play.

1 Like

But Monaghan have never been beyond an AI QF in the modern era. They have consistently falling short so I actually think arrogance would lie with the likes of yourself in this instance.

The naivety is unreal. The stuff about the 11 having to match up with the 6 is dinasaur thinking.

2 Likes

Just watched the highlights, did Drew get as much of a roastin’ as it looked?

Morgan :rofl:

Harte :rofl: :rofl:

Revised Rankings - 21 May 2018

1. Dublin
  2. Kerry
  3. Galway
  4. Mayo
  5. Monaghan
  6. Roscommon
  7. Donegal
  8. Tyrone
  9. Clare
  10. Tipperary
  11. Kildare
  12. Cork
  13. Fermanagh
  14. Meath
  15. Cavan
  16. Down
  17. Laois
  18. Carlow
  19. Armagh
  20. Longford
  21. Westmeath
  22. Sligo
  23. Derry
  24. Antrim
  25. Leitrim
  26. Wicklow
  27. Louth
  28. Wexford
  29. Offaly
  30. Limerick
  31. Waterford

The space the Monaghan backs gave the Tyrone forwards for the first 15-20 mins was criminal but then the Monaghan backs gradually got on top. Drew turned into a leader as it progressed. Ryan Wylie was probably our best back.

1 Like

I look forward to the Don’t Foul analysis. Very interested in seeing the kickout stats and the shot conversion statistics. From a Tyrone point of view, there were not many easy scores coughed up at all. Monaghan were just ruthless in converting difficult scores on the day.

I’d say it was more a factor of Monaghan getting on top in the middle of the pitch and starving the supply to the Tyrone forward line.

So Monaghan were more skillful