2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

Did dubs do lap of honour with cup today do you know ?

I do know

I hope they sang that Glen Hansard Classic ā€œWinning Streakā€ in the dressing room afterwards.

1 Like

They were probably too busy cleaning the dressing room.

Do you not clean your home ?

1 Like

Thatā€™s a shite song

Traditionally Glen Hansard was sung before the dressing rooms were sweeped but who knows what goes on now Cluxton isnā€™t around to organise the thing.

1 Like

Glen?

Falling slowly?

Winning Streak

They should drop association with Hansard after the whole #metoo allegations.

1 Like

I fancy Dublin to edge Mayo in the first semi final. I think Mayo are carrying a few players like Plunkett, Walsh, McHale etc who might get caught out at this level. The two McLoughlins changed the Connacht final for them last week and I donā€™t think they have the strength of the other 3 teams off the bench. I actually think Dublinā€™s bench isnā€™t great either but with Small and Murchan back I only really see them carrying McMahon as a starter.

Iā€™d say itā€™s a 60/40 game in Dublinā€™s favour.

The other game is probably going to be a bit more one sided. Kerry look to be flying, the real question is how seriously were they taking the league relative to other teams are how will they negotiate a top team now at Championship tempo. They possess 6 serious forwards who can all trouble the scoreboard and are goal hungry. Tyrone simply have to limit Kerry to a max of 1 goal in the semi to have a chance and they will also need to develop a goal threat of their own against a questionable enough Kerry defence. The only advantage I can see for Tyrone here is they are coming in under the radar and very much unfancied. Iā€™d be telling Mattie Donnelly to go at the Kerry defenders if he gets one on one. Looking at the damage Hurley did against Kerryā€™s full back line early doors, this is something Tyrone have to exploit and Donnelly needs to go for the jugular here. There is a potential for an ambush job ala Donegal on Dublin in 2014 as Kerry seem to be going all out at teams.

A lot will depend on the fitness/availability for Tyrone - McCann, Brennan, Burns and R Donnelly all missed out the last day through Covid/injury issues. Burns and Brennan will have to start for me, Burns will operate as a sweeper there and Iā€™d have Brennan doing a man marking job on Paudie Clifford. Tyrone are simply going to have to put 6 man markers on the Kerry forwards and have Burns as the sweeper in there cutting off the supply and intercepting the runners.

Iā€™d go along the lines of

McNamee v D Clifford
Hampsey v S Oā€™Shea
Brennan v P Clifford
McKernan v Geaney
Harte v Oā€™Brien

Thereā€™s a spot up for grabs in each respective defence/attack here. Spillane and Oā€™Connor will be vying for one with Kerry here and McCann/Oā€™Neill or dropping one of Sludden/McGeary/Meyler back will be the Tyrone option. Oā€™Neill seemed to be on crutches yesterday so Iā€™d doubt he will be available.

Another big question for Tyrone is whether they go with the two big men in midfield or drop McKenna back in there. I think Iā€™d play McKenna at midfield as we will need the mobility around the pitch, Iā€™d drop Kennedy I would say as Kilpatrick covers the ground better.

Iā€™d go along the lines of:

1. Morgan
  2. McKernan
  3. McNamee
  4. Hamspey
  5. McCann
  6. Brennan
  7. Harte
  8. Burns
  9. Kilpatrick
  10. McGeary
  11. Sludden
  12. Meyler
  13. McCurry
  14. M Donnelly
  15. McKenna

Burns would obviously drop back and McKenna would go out around the middle.

We will have good options off the bench with McShane, Bradley, Canavan, Kennedy there. Iā€™d hope Rafferty and Cassidy are fit/considered for the bench as IMO they are our best defensive options. J Munroe made the bench last week, I believe had curtailed his involvement to date so he could be a another good defensive option.

Tyrone will need to match the Kerry intensity for 70 minutes which is my biggest concern about how capable they are, if they can do this then theyā€™ll be right in it until near the end.

If the GAA appoint Maurice Deegan for this then you guarantee the fix is in and Kerry will be AI champions by hook or by crook.

3 Likes

Looking forward to this

4 Likes

Itā€™s the best GAA podcast about by some distance.

Be great when they get Jimmy on.

Rory played county minor at 14 cc @glenshane

3 Likes

Very good apart from Maire Treasa

1 Like

Yeah, the usually give her a fluff piece every week. If they replaced that with a segment on a preview/review of the weekend action it would be perfect.

2 Likes

Would yourself and the border bull ever consider going into the podcast bidness?

1 Like

I think that Niblock and McConville will go a bit stale if they do it every week. Think they will be smart about it and run it for around 10 weeks every year during the Championship.

Caveman alert

He was some minorā€¦himself, cavlan and mcnicholl were ridiculously goodā€¦Gallagher had that lazy looking style- loads of time, points and frees that just had enough to get over the barā€¦not that Iā€™d remember, being so young etc

1 Like