2022 All Ireland football final - The Yerras V The Fancy Dans. Name your kitchen

Great to see a lad I played under 13’s hurling with on the bench for an All Ireland final.

6 Likes

Jesus Moycullen must have a very good team

Moycullen, Mountbellew and Corofin could all give the Club All Ireland a serious rattle this year.

1 Like

Some serious strength in Galway club football. The season is only starting for them this Sunday.

2 Likes

I’d say the reason Mountbellew went so mental after losing in Connacht last year was because they knew they could have gone all the way.

Corofin’s new manager is a serious operater.

1 Like

How good was Karl O’Dwyer?

I’d say they were sickened watching Kilcoo fall over the line, it wouldn’t have taken much to win it and square things up with their beloved Caltra neighbours. Who have Corofin got in?

1 Like

Kevin Johnson. Managed Ballintubber to a few Mayo Championship’s.

1 Like

Who will lift the cup for Kerry on Sunday if they win?

I’d imagine it will be a contentious enough one.

Average enough, probably on a good day a 7/10. A fairly big unit in fairness but he never was blessed with a burst of pace. Given enough time he knew where the posts were.

In other news I’m only coming to the realisation that the Galway corner forward Rob Finnerty is Fat Larry’s lad. Pops will surely feature on UFTM tomorrow night with one of those many inane yarns of his.

6 Likes

Just finished “a year til Sunday”. It must be one of the most underrated pieces of Irish film ever produced.

The scenes whereby they go around to London, Tuam, New York and Dublin prior to the game really are spine tingling. This country has suffered from emigration but it’s the ones on the western seaboard where it’s hit hardest.

The Galway football team are a special identity.

Ps Ray Silke is a bit of a pain back then also.

10 Likes

They have a lot of good players alright. You could argue their best player is Peter Cooke who isn’t even on the Galway panel this year. Was off traveling. He missed Moycullen winning the county for the first time in 2020 as well. He was also abroad that year.

1 Like

He’s the image of the father

1 Like

Was Fat Larry not a bit of a chaotic, hustle and bustle sort of a cornerforward in his day? Robert is a brilliantly graceful sort of player, real touch of class about him and a lad who could explode on the scene someday soon kicking 1-5.

2 Likes

Therein lies the difference being brought up in Mayo or Galway

7 Likes

He looks a good bit like yourself too :stuck_out_tongue:

I made it my business to watch it today. There is a real understated smugness or almost cock suredness about Ray Silke from that documentary alright. Although you’d still want him in the trenches with you. He brought an oasis of calm to proceedings on certain occasions. Michael Donnellan by contrast was very shy and timid, almost belied his soon to be superstar status. I’d say when you went into a football dressing room in the mid 90s any notions you had would soon be left outside the door and you had to earn that respect of senior players.

Backroom teams were a lot smaller back then. 9 Mahoney seemed to be pulling all the strings. Ja Fallon kicked points you’d hardly see before or since. One off the outside of his left boot in semi final win against Derry on his wrong side. Incredible leader too. They were a likeable team. The scenes back in Connemara with the elderly couple were really heartwarming.

12 Likes

There was a lovely little cameo in A Year 'Til Sunday by Brendan “The Boss” Coffey. He was captured on camera in the Galway dressing room after the Derry game. He was one of the characters of Galway GAA down through the years, and a thorn in the side of many a young lad looking to gather sliotars at games.

5 Likes

There was a shot of The Breffni pub in Sunnyside,at the time it was run by a lad from Williamstown.Mike Connaughton.Ive spelt his name wrong there.There was also a great scene with Ja sitting in his post van talking about delivering the post to Sean Purcell and how people still talked about him 30 years later and if they won would people talk about they’re team in 30 years,well yes Ja people still talk about you.Ja’s the man

10 Likes

The problem with Galway GAA is the kind of 4x4 driving cunt who wouldnt cross the road to go to pearse stadium, suddenly becomes an expert both at football/hurling**
and also at procuring tickets.
Cunts.

**Delete as applicable

4 Likes