2022 All Ireland football final - The Yerras V The Fancy Dans. Name your kitchen

Yeah it was. I dont think we got a chance to see it on first view as they were still dwelling on previous incident but Hurson seemed to get very pedantic in technical infringements for one team when they were plenty of other examples of wrapping the hand all game. With the Daly incident Spillane clearly had his hand draped over Daly so what was he to do. In the 66th minute leave the game take on a life of its own rather than being overly fussy. He let Shane Ryan take restarts while he had his back to him and had not yet blown the whistle. Wasn’t even in a position to adjudicate on some of them.

2 Likes

I still cant believe Hurson penalised White for that shoulder. It was fucking textbook.

2 Likes

Handpass/fistpass points should be banned. They’re a blight on the game. Gaelic football’s equivalent of ash dieback, Dutch Elm disease, mixamatosis in rabbits, that yoke that killed off the Tasmanian Devils and Covid put together.

2 Likes

Forgot that. Thought it was a double shoulder but on replay was a spot on shoulder just driving him into another Kerry player alongside.

Ref absolutely killed the end of the game alright. Thought it was done when Kerry went 2 ahead but Galway were definitely making a strong comeback at the right time and I was roaring for extra-time

Those are my sentiments exactly. At 16 a piece the game was building to a fine crescendo. We would see if the Kerry doubts would come back and the soft underbelly that was ascribed to them, well they were going to have to find some resolve now as Galway were about to recycle possession and build another attack. The phantom free and throw ball from kick out are something you can deal with as a team when its in early stages of a game and it sets a precedent. It was beautifully poised but as you put it so well the ending was a massive anti climax after promising so much.

4 Likes

Spot on.

My thoughts exactly.

Why interject at that time and award a free. Not only did it give Kerry a score, but it also denied Galway an attack that they were about to build. All with 2/3 minutes left. I hate to go on about refs, but there’s no denying it was a massive moment and a massive mistake from Hurson,

2 Likes

The throw in was also so petty.

Not only did it deny another bit of momentum to an underdog chasing a game. It probably shaved 45 seconds/a minute off the clock.

2 Likes

But shur, its the rule?

Unfortunately for Galway the rules of the game still apply when it’s level late in an All-Ireland final.

And unfortunately for Dublin, they still apply after 75 minutes of an All-Ireland semi-final.

Killian Spillane did not foul John Daly. He made a legitimate attempt at a dispossession and his arm was pulled by Daly. That’s a foul by Daly. Seconds earlier Damien Comer had had his arms wrapped around Paul Murphy and dispossessed him. No free, rightly so. If Comer’s was not a foul - and it wasn’t - Spillane’s definitely wasn’t.

Yes there seems to be a view that the referee should suspend the rules in the last few minutes of an All Ireland and “let the teams at it”

Did Tierney, Kelly, Comer or Finnerty even have a wide between them? Heaney’s point was from a shot at goal. Needed Walsh to have a Roy of the Rovers game to get within 4. We can blame the bench, the ref, the goalie etc but 4 forwards having no shot on goal is probably the place to look for improvement.

5 Likes

Nobody is saying that. This isn’t the hurling final thread.

An arm across a players shoulder/neck is a foul. That was the first contact.

3 Likes

I dont think Clifford is on Social Media at all which adds a little mystique to him in the modern era.

Neither is Con O’Callaghan.

3 Likes

There’s a time and place for rules

2 Likes

The rules didn’t apply for Dublin for about five years straight.

2 Likes

There seems to be a view out there that when games are level late on at the business end of the All-Ireland championship, frees should not be awarded.

But several such games have been decided that way.
Dublin v Kerry 2022
Dublin v Mayo 2017
Dublin v Kerry 2011
Tyrone v Armagh 2005

Kerry v Mayo 2014 (draw) and Dublin v Kerry 2001 (draw) had last gasp missed frees.

The right call I thought.

2 Likes

Correct. Galway were robbed. Better team lost yesterday no one can argue this

1 Like

There’s surely an element of judgement and discretion to refereeing? I would say that giving very marginal frees at that stage in the game should be avoided. A free could equally have been awarded against Spillane for a high arm in that second last one. Certainly could have let that play develop. He should definitely have used his discretion for the kick out infringement. It was clearly a bit of an accident and Galway derived absolutely no benefit from their rule infringement there, I think that call from the ref was unfair and against the spirit of the game.

4 Likes