2022 FIFA World Cup (Part 1)

3 teams got out in some groups in 1990. Us england and the dutch got through. Once it was known england were beating egypt, ireland and holland agreed to draw. Fuck all integrity

You end up with say the team in group A finishing on 4 points but not knowing they’ll be through till group P (or whatever fucking letter it is) is finished.

As usual they are fixing something that isn’t broken

I was wrong on one thing about yesterday’s permutations; I said that it was unlikely that we’d have to as deep into it as the day before. We didn’t quite hit yellow cards but all 4 of the teams genuinely had an opportunity to proceed with about 20 minutes to go and we went through a fair amount of drama.

We can only hope that we get something similar today.

Of the two groups, Group H this afternoon looks the more likely to produce that kind of drama.

Portugal are already through (which does make it slightly less dramatic) but we have 3 teams going for two places. Portugal also have a healthy goal difference so will they switch up their team like France did? With the short turnaround, the extreme heat, a fairly intense game against Uruguay, it’s hard to see them not doing freshening up.

Ghana are in pole position to join them in the last 16. Their game against Uruguay is interesting on a number of levels; you’d have to think that the Ghana people, whatever about the football team, would like to see a bit of revenge for 2010. I can’t really see Suarez starting but that would add another dimension again. A Ghana win puts them through, a loss knocks them out, a draw would keep them ahead of Uruguay but would be dependent on South Korea not beating Portugal by 2. I don’t think they can rely on that not happening so I think they need to go for the win; coupled with the fact that when they sat back against Korea, they conceded 2 at the start of the second half and rode their luck in the final 15.

It’s very simple for Uruguay, they have to win. And they have to hope that Portugal either get something against Korea or that they beat Ghana by at least 1 more goal than Korea beat Portugal. They are yet to score at this World Cup so it will have to be a complete mindset shift from them; they did threaten a bit against Portugal when they went and had a go and probably should have got 1 at least.

And Korea… again, they have to beat Portugal. They might be helped if Portugal change their entire team. They also have to hope that Ghana don’t win. If it’s a draw in the other game, Korea would need to beat Portugal by 2. If Uruguay win by 1, any Korea win would be enough. They are currently ahead of Uruguay on GD by 1 and Goals Scored by 2 so have a little advantage on Uruguay if they get the win.

Again, you could get a situation where an early Uruguay goal puts them into the qualification place, but then South Korea score in the other game to get them to leapfrog before a Ghana equaliser against Ghana gives them the advantage with South Korea scrapping to get a 2nd goal which would knock Ghana out.

Tonight’s group has a similar current position with one team already through, one team with something to defend in 2nd place and two teams who absolutely have to win.

Like Portugal, Brazil are through and could switch up their entire team which might help Cameroon. They are potentially still vulnerable for top spot if Switzerland were to win & Brazil to lose. A draw would secure top spot.

Switzerland are currently in second place and a win confirms their spot. If they draw with Serbia, they are hoping that Cameroon don’t beat Brazil. Switzerland have a GD which is 1 better than Cameroon, which would obviously be wiped out if Cameroon did beat Brazil. They have only scored 1 goal in the tournament, Cameroon have scored 3 so it’s advantage Cameroon in that sense. Which means that if Switzerland don’t win, they are relying on Brazil to do them a favour.

Serbia vs Switzerland caused ructions at the last World Cup with the “Albanian double eagle” from Shaqiri & Xhaka. It was an interesting game too, Shaqiri’s late winner pretty much knocking out Serbia. This time Serbia know they have to win and hope that Brazil don’t lose to Cameroon. If they did, they would need to better Cameroon’s win. Draw or loss no good to Serbia, but it’ll be interesting to see how Switzerland approach the game.

Finally Cameroon. An incredible comeback against Serbia keeps them alive in the competition and actually in a great position in terms of Goals Scored. They only have a GD of -1 so any sort of win over Brazil means that they would probably proceed unless Switzerland win. Now, even Brazil’s B team would be handy enough but they showed no fear in taking the game to Serbia at 3-1 down. If they end up going through after beating Brazil, I hope Joey Ndo is on commentary duty.

5 Likes

That would be the only way it’d be half-decent.

3 teams coming out of a group of 4 means you can just draw your way through which is one of the things that makes the World Cup group stages so good, you have to win at least one game.

Groups of 3 are dogshit because of scheduling and you just have to be not as shit as one team.

3 Likes

Its basically a safeguarding for the bigger teams to ensure theyre in the latter stages. Fifa hate the fact italy aren’t there and Germany are out

I heard someone on the radio say the Mexican jersey was the most of all world cup jersies.

This is easily the most dramatic group stages ever id say though is it?
Usually be more teams through or out before round 3 would there.
Off the top of my head only Qatar were out and France and Portugal through

Canada were out

The most what?

It was stunning, I’ll give them that.

Costa, Pepe, Cancelo, Neves & Ronaldo hold their places for Portugal.

Dalot, Antonio Silva, Nunes, Vitinha, Mario & Horta replace Guerreiro/Mendes, Dias, Carvalho, Fernandes, Bernardo Silva & Joao Felix.

Significantly weaker but still half-decent.

Busy day in work today pal?

Only a mug would be in the office during the world cup pal :smiley:

I never mentioned an office but enough said

In would suggest being “in” a place of employment, ie an office, the office.

Hows work for yourself today?

Work :grinning:

Imagine being a position where you’d need to do a bit of work of a Friday afternoon of a World Cup. By God.

All Ghana want here is REVENGE. This one will be tasty, red card guaranteed

Luis mugged them off right in his Presser.

He won’t be laughing in 2 hours time

Very much a feel of “one last dance for the devil” here for Suarez.