2022 FIFA World Cup (Part 2)

Carragher, Lampard and Gerrard all missed penalties against Portugal. Leaders supposedly

Does missing a penalty in a shoot out automatically mean you’re not a leader?

In a major tournament. I would say most definitely yes. Even in 90 minutes.

I’d be very surprised if Kane was left with the captaincy

I wouldn’t have classed any of those three as natural leaders in the first place

I’ve a feeling cheasty is going to hit you with a very illustrious list of leaders who’ve missed penalties

5 Likes

Jack Nicholson Thank You GIF

I was banking on it

I’ll call bullshit on Baggio. He wasn’t near a leader on that team.

Maradonna missed against Yugoslavia. He can have that.

The list of players who have missed crucial penalties in major tournaments or finals is a who’s who of the game.

Maradona, Messi, C Ronaldo, Modric, van Basten, Platini, Zico, Socrates, Schweinsteiger, Robben, Pirlo, Baggio, Baresi, Albertini, Raul, van Dijk, Terry, Lineker.

Is Messi’s tournament suddenly rendered null and void because he missed a penalty against Poland?

No mate, he redeemed himself. All 3 of those chaps missed penalties and they went out, again. They never redeemed themselves subsequently either.

Kane won’t redeem himself.

The true greats on your list all redeemed themselves

Scored the equaliser against Nigeria after 89 minutes with a clutch finish?
Scored the winner in the same game?
Scored a brilliant winner after 87 minutes in the quarter-final against Spain?
Scored two brilliant goals in the semi-final?

Not a leader?

Podolski is still playing club ball in Poland for his home club Gornik Zabrze. For his grandmother.

3 Likes

He blew it mate.

I’d give you Baresi in '94.

Carragher was brought on specially to take one unusually enough. Had been brilliant on them in training apparently. I think he scored his initial attempt but had to retake it iirc.

Kilcoo won the Feile in Wicklow the same day with Conor Laverty as coach @peddlerscross. Or possibly the same weekend. I saw them dishing out a footballing lesson that afternoon and caught extra-time onwards in the England-Portugal match.

1 Like

When did Platini redeem himself? France lost the semi-final meekly and he retired the next year.

Van Basten was effectively forced into retirement five months after his missed penalty.

Henrik Larsson blasted a penalty over the bar in the 2006 World Cup which was his final international game.

Neither Zico nor Socrates got any chance to redeem themselves.

The '94 World Cup was Baggio’s peak and he was never as good again.

I think the criteria you’re applying is, if the person who misses is English, they’re of automatically weak character but if a non-English player misses, this doesn’t apply.

Pretty much yeah. I think its in them. Pearce, Southgate, waddle, ince, the 3 boys in 06. "18. Kane

It isnt a coincidence anyway.

Well then it’s in the Italians and the Dutch and in Messi and all the rest.

Pearce scored two pressure penalties in 1996, including one against the team he’d previously missed against. But that apparently doesn’t count as redemption.

And poor auld Ian Harte for us in 2002.

None of those three were natural leaders that missed in 06

He wouldn’t lead a horse to water

2006 will always have a special place in my heart. I loved that Italian team, their semi against Germany was insane, and the final had plenty drama too. And Argentina played an absolute humdinger with Mexico in the last 16. Maxi Rodriguez scored a delicious volley.

But it’s probably the last World Cup where I had fuck all responsibility and could just immerse myself in it, which probably tints the memory

2 Likes

What are natural leaders? Big lads with big chests like me brother Sylvest? Matthijs De Ligt?

Lads like Rummenige, Matheus, Cannavarro, Paolo Maldini, Costacurta, Cafu, Messi in '22. Dunga, Deschamps. Lads like that.

Lads that are unflappable. Lads that will win balls that they’ve no right to win. Lads that put the team above themselves or if they don’t, elevate the team. Lads that will sacrifice their body at a whim to win a match.

I’ll change it to great leaders.

Every team has leaders. There are some that just won’t be beat and they’re great leaders

England have never had a truly great leader in my lifetime.

Bryan Robson was possibly the guy but he was a cripple