2022 FIFA World Cup (Part 2)

Before the shoot out in 2002 I said to me oulā€™ fella that I didnā€™t want Connolly and Kilbane taking penalties as I thought theyā€™d miss, and they did.

I expected Matty Holland to score though.

Damien Duff and Niall Quinn didnā€™t take penalties. As attacking players they should have been stepping up.

2 Likes

I was devastated as a young lad i was balling. We should have won regardless of penalties i felt. On top of saipan and my mother not buying me anymore panini stickers for the special edition ireland sticker book

Listen mate, only one man on here ever took a penalty now fall the fuck in

They should but misplaced confidence is a terrible thing and those cunts Connolly and Holland oozed it.

Llorisā€™ efforts in the shoot out reminded me of Given dangling the leg at Mendietaā€™s scuffed penalty

@estebandaface really is your prototype Paddy Footix. A visceral hatred of the England national team. Heā€™ll be back roaring on his beloved Man Citeh on Boxing Day though. Actually edit that, Citeh donā€™t play until the 28th.

The last 24 hours is a lovely read here. I had to hightail it immediately after the penos for work so missed out on the banter and abuse. Apologies for the delay, im sure you were all dying for my input. A few thingsā€¦
A great argument about penalty takers and leaders and bottlers. Although it seems @estebandaface lead it then bottled it and should face a penalty for itā€¦ i jist reckon lads who are leaders take more penalties and end up eventually fucking up moreā€¦
1986 was the first tournament that i remember properly. I was eight and well up for it despite the time difference. Maradona, argentina, all of that and what felt like an absurd final. Felt like about 15 of us all over the couch as the ball went through for buruchaga. But some of the other stuff was amazing. England argentina obviously. Recreations went on for weeks. Imagine a bunch of kids practising forearm handballs and poorly timed keeper jumpsā€¦ we did itā€¦ Brazil v france felt like the highest quality epic match. Russia v belgium which im sure i watched but have the memory that it was the middle of the night but for some reason we got to see it. Vasily rats goal against france was another crazy moment that was from the left back position in my memory.
As for world cupsā€¦ ireland aside, which were obviously the bestā€¦1986 and this oneā€¦ 98 was decent i thinkā€¦ although that might just be for arg v eng. 1990 had some serious quality but one of the shittest finals in history. 2002 was pure vindication for Ronaldo and we loved it for that. 2010? Spain deserved it bit they sterilised the entire process. 2014 brilliant i suppose but who the fuck wants germany to win shit. 2018 was goodā€¦ unexpected results, england going close to keep us all on our toesā€¦ francr becoming outstanding. But this has bee the greatest of my lifetime. The end of groups and shocks and changes of possibilities made it so so good. Graziā€¦

6 Likes

Why is that do ye think? Were their players more concentrated in better clubs at the time?

[quote=ā€œJuhniallio, post:2229, topic:36311, full:trueā€]. Vasily rats goal against france was another crazy moment that was from the left back position in my memory.

[/quote]

Headline in the paper was Rats beats Bats.

1 Like

If anything Iā€™d say thereā€™s more of a concentration of better players at the top clubs now. Less variety these days in the upper echelons of the club game. Maybe itā€™s connected to the game becoming more global. Egypt for instance would never have had a player of Mo Salahā€™s quality before. Sadio Mane a level above any of the Senegalese players from the 00ā€™s.

Eamonn Dunphy would probably argue that there isnā€™t the same calibre of players around these days. The likes of Italy arenā€™t producing the same volume of hall of famers at all.

1 Like

England didnā€™t play USA at the World Cup 2006 so Iā€™m a bit confused on this one. From memory Iā€™d say Paul Robinson was No.1 for England at the tournament too with David James probably back up. Did he possibly hit that big box of a thing in Schalkes stadium in Gelsenkirchen? Possibly in a warm-up? The clanger was in 2010 against USA alright.

Correct it was robinson vs Paraguay in 2006. Not usa and not green

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/robinson-kick-sparks-betting-talk-628778

1 Like

Could be directly linked to the rise of the internet/gaming/phones etc? Iā€™d say very few of the 06 HoFs grew up with any of the above. Even most of the star names of this year were aul lads.

1 Like

Very true. The likes of FUT on FIFA have become very popular these days and require serious gaming graft. FOTF Paddy Murphy is about 25 and as far as I can see is making a living from playing FIFA on an online stream with people paying subs on twitchā€¦ā€¦and heā€™s not even good at FIFA.

But yeah young lads are definitely spending less time having kickabouts than would have been the case in the past. Interestingly thereā€™s a greater array of soccer clubs in Ireland now than pre-Italia 90 and weā€™re heading in the opposite direction at international level.

1 Like

Can you explain that in English please. You can make money from playing computer games?

Yeah fellas have live videos of themselves playing with their all-star teams.

Thereā€™s a young fella in America called Speed making a bomb of money from documenting his attempts to meet CR7 and doing a bit of rapping (not silage). He had a live stream with a very shy and confused Trent a few weeks back. Trent was very wary of saying anything that would get him into trouble.

I completely disagree. I think the calibre of players coming through has risen so highly that the ultra talented do not stand out as much anymore.

There is far more of an emphasis placed on the system rather than the player now. Players must be able to adapt to systems and perform in the role that the specific system requires him to, and that is the way young players are now brought up. Individualism and off the cuff flair is greatly reduced.

In my opinion, the era in the early 2000s is the most overrated in history in terms of players. Apart from R9, Ronaldinho, and perhaps Zidane there were no truly great players that would stick out in any generation. The era of the 2010s was far superior in my view. Suarez, Iniesta, Neymar, Modric ,Ramos, Lewandowski are all time great players but were unfortunate to coincide with an era of two Aliens, particularly Messi. Never before have we seen two gods of the sport go head to head for over a decade for individual and colective honours.

Now of course we have a new giant in MbappĆ©. He has already cemented himself as one of the greatest Iā€™ve ever seen, yet nostalgia would hesitate to place above names such as Henry, Figo etc, when In reality he has already easily surpassed those players.

2 Likes

The world is fucked. People paying to watch fellas bang on buttons :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Is this a sex euphamism ?

I wish it was kid.