2022 FIFA World Cup (Part 1)

They could play Bolsonaro in the holding midfield role against Cameroon and they’d still be fine.

1 Like

Goal Qatar!

Well-worked, a lovely diagonal to open them up.

1 Like

Lovely passage of play leading to that goal

That’s an excellent goal, brilliant from N’Diaye. He needs to start against Ecuador.

England’s thumping win against Iran is looking more and more impressive. The only World Cup finals win for an English speaking country against Iran in five attempts.

The US will make attempt number six next Tuesday.

The Iranians really raise their game when they take on the Anglosphere - they famously eliminated Australia in a play-off for the 1998 World Cup and also had the distinction of being the only team to defeat Mick McCarthy’s Ireland in 16 games over the course of the entire 2002 World Cup competition.

3 Likes

Looks like Qatar could be heading home.

2 Likes

Ah lovely

Devastation for the passionate and knowledgeable home crowd.

Nice, you rode your luck a little, but it came through.

1 Like

He took a huge gamble there alright against high flying Qatar.

2 Likes

Collins: We’ll have a fresh panel here shortly for the two later games.

Cunningham: Not a better one though Peter.

4 Likes

Kenny Cunningham is a dangerous menace.

I wonder will be face sanction like Joe Brolly did for his “big, fat head” description of fellow pundit Shay Given?

If we beat the US tonight we’ve won the group. If that transpires, I would expect Coach Southgate to field a second string team last match against Wales. A bit like Italy did in Euro 2016 last match acrobat Eire after they win the group with a match to spare.

:smile:

You’ve surely a couple of better ones up your sleeve. I presume youre just throwing a taste out right now as it’s a slog out there

A lot of mental gymnastics going on here as usual.

4 Likes

I just can’t take to Des Curran. No offence meant to @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy, but he commentates like he is doing the weekend goals roundup on the LOI Monday Night Football review show

2 Likes

Vamos Ecuador.

England’s first priority must be to put the upstart colonies from across the pond in their place tonight. Send them home to Boston with their tea in a mug.

Then Coach Southgate can think about resting players ahead of the last 16 clash. It cannot be over emphasised how important rest and recuperation will be in such trying conditions, especially with all this extra time being added on in games.

There is long precedent in sport for friends doing favours for each other along geographical and cultural lines. West Germany and Austria’s cordial arrangement in 1982 was a good example. The Treaty of Palermo in 1990 between Mick McCarthy and Ruud Gullit benefitted both green and orange and is widely believed to have inspired the Good Friday Agreement of eight years later. There was Viking solidarity when Sweden and Denmark played out a highly entertaining draw in 2004 to make sure both progressed at Italy’s expense. Scotland made sure their Celtic cousins the Irish would participate in Euro '88 by winning in Bulgaria. Catholic solidarity ensured Italy preferred their papish brothers to progress in 2016 at the expense of the Muslim hordes of Byzantium and Asia Minor. In 2019 Wexford and Kilkenny recognised the eternal brotherhood of the Barrow by playing out a mutually beneficial draw which eliminated the interloper from the west, Galway. Kilkenny people were genuinely delighted for Wexford when they won the All-Ireland in 1996 and the people of each county have firmly supported the other on the 17 occasions either of the counties has reached an All-Ireland final since then.

A thumping Welsh win in the final group game would cement English and Welsh unity and kill the nascent Welsh nationalist movement stone dead.

I’m sure Clarence House can have a word.

2 Likes

A rocket :rocket: