2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Its an amazing statistic alright.

Just two years of this Split Season/Tailteann Cup nonsense has been enough to effectively end Gaelic Football as a pastime in Tipperary, a County who have made 2x All Ireland Football Semi Finals in the past 8 years.

Its like an atomic bomb this Split Season/Tailteann Cup.

1 Like

Closest of all. An absolutely iconic game on the same day as the World Cup Final. They had a fine team back then alright. Paddy Keenan and that curly haired livewire Colm Judge.

As Derry progress & improve. Is Ordhan Lynch a live candidate for FOTY if they win Sam?

Has Cluxton or other Gaelic Football keepers won that award before?

Shane McGuigan will walk it if Derry win the AI.

On another note, i see John Fogarty wants to bring in some kind of “bonus point” system into the Super Sweet 16 to jizz things up a bit :grinning:

I dunno, he’s the QB who starts the offence, gets involved as the spare man whilst making some fine saves.

Real MVP material

This whole thing has been a crock of shite from top to bottom and to the detriment of, dare I say it, club football - the very basics of the game. We’re here in lowly Leitrim, out of everything gearing ourselves up for a club championship beginning the August weekend. The prime months of Summer conveniently bypassed to suit ‘the schedule’. Do I need to go on…….

3 Likes

A goalkeeper cousin of mine won the Texaco Footballer of the Year.

Club players will tell you it’s great though. Certainty around when games are and when you are training towards.

No, but you’ll hardly let that stop you

1 Like

Benefits of format haven’t been seen yet. It will produce 4 rounds of knock out games which should be decent.

It is great.

It doesnt matter. Lads have already made up their minds. Fall in.

Its been an unmitigated disaster. Where once interest in Championship would now be reaching fever pitch today it is at an all time low

2 Likes

I appreciate its because of a convoluted Divisional structure, but there is absolutely no certainty in Tipp this year as to when Club Championship’s start. All depends on how far Tipp go.

A certain cohort of Club Players like the split season alright, particularly older ones who are married and have children.

They are usually answerable to their Life Partners (cc @Bandage), who are keen to plan Holidays/Weekends away etc. These players are also under pressure to spend a certain quota of Sundays each year at playgrounds or looking at Camels/Giraffes with the kids in Fota Island or somewhere. Having a ‘defined Club Window’ from Mid July onwards kind of suits these players as they build up their brownie points early in the year but they’ll still end up missing one important game anyway in July/early August because of a wedding or something.

A lot of younger club players would prefer to be in America/Ibiza/Lollapooza/Galway in late July/early August instead of being at home so they’d rather the old system of a few games in late April/early May and be back for the serious business from approx Aug 25th onwards.

7 Likes

I’ve yet to hear a single club player argue against the split season.

Either you dont talk to many people or you are talking nonsence

Marriage is a real blight on the club game

3 Likes

Lookit - all fine and dandy for you as you pursue the Holy Grail - we’re struggling to keep clubs and clubmen interested - the current intercounty system/panacea is a crock of shite.

These current competitions are a load of bollocks - a multiplicity of meaningless games to eliminate the misfortunate lowest three - all with the goal of giving teams a few extra meaningful games.

Championship football/hurling should be what it says - Championship - Knockout - Kill or be Killed.

There’s a plethora of scuttery Spring competitions to test out the inevitable intercounty aspirants that crop up via websites and forum boards. Championship should mean what it says - the short road to No.1.

8 Likes

We have been through this a thousand times but:

1. It makes no sense to have clubs back training in January for a game or two in April that could define their season.

2. There was huge differences in how each county used the April for clubs. Some counties completely took the biscuit and played zero or one championship game then headed off for a 4 week pre season consisting of gym, challenge games and 4 days in Portugal on warm weather training camps.

2 Likes

Losing 2 games should mean show us over. No more about it