2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Why do they have to wait until 8.30 on a Monday morning on the radio to make these draws, particularly when you have two of the quarter finals only 5 days later on the following Saturday? Could they not make the draw on live television after the Primetime Sunday afternoon game and allow teams to start planning straight away.

Then again, these are the people who inflicted the split season in its current guise upon us so any talk as to rationale or logic is futile.

12 Likes

The mind boggles

https://twitter.com/m_brosnan/status/1672978763468947456?s=46&t=YOfhVM10W0bcyIiYSLI3Wg

I presume it’s because for media exposure reasons they want tomorrow’s papers covering the games played and Tuesdays papers to cover the games to be played. I wonder if the lads complaining about the 14 hour delay to the draw would be the same lads saying the split season reduces media exposure?

2 Likes

What’s the panic Shur

Its a disgrace. How can you set a roster properly when you dont know whats happening the coming week.
You wouldn’t get it in a proper country

1 Like

Considering all team preparation now seems to be focused completely on how to shut down the opposition we might be better off delaying the draw until next Friday night

4 Likes

Down are gonna save football

2 Likes

We always expected the burden would fall to ourselves, we have spent 20 years waiting to see if someone else would step up for a change but no such luck.

1 Like

If this is their idea it’s an incredibly stupid one.

Thats a sensational idea

1 Like

I’m sorry my friend

A great day out in Salthill. A pity about all the wides from both sides but it was a decent enough game all the same in terms of tension at the end. I have to say I was surprised to see Galway starting the TikToker Fitzy. A northern team like Tyrone would have gone to town on him with sledging for the type of videos he posts. James Carr, COC and ROD all kicked points while on him and AOS assisted the goal despite having a bottle in his hand when Fitzgerald was on him.

Even saw a fella going around in a Wexford jersey. An outing before the clay court style hurling championship gets underway.

17 Likes

Think Eamonn Fitzmaurice said in co-commentary Aidan O’Shea had the goalie’s kicking tee in his hand rather than a bottle but I couldn’t be sure as his voice is really boring & it’s hard to pay attention.

1 Like

Fitzy is young and he’ll bounce back from today. But he made some ordinary enough Mayo forwards look very good.

1 Like

It’s only natural to focus on the (exquisite) match winning score but let’s not forget the 70 minutes previous. Monaghan were due that little decision.

https://twitter.com/clinicalgaa/status/1672898054725292032?t=CfQO7OJqruyppQZxrSv3Ug&s=19

2 Likes

There was a hilarious passage of play where himself and Aidan O’ Shea engaged in about 10 seconds of battling for the ball completely oblivious to the referees whistle. Two of them tussling for possession on the sideline and appealing for frees while everyone watched on in amusement.

1 Like

Whoever put that video together has even less of a clue of gaelic football than the hapless Jerome. What in the name of God is a ‘clean strip tackle’ I wonder?

2 Likes

Throne looked to be purring today. They’ll be a tough draw for someone.
With Canavan X 2 they could nearly be enjoyable

2 Likes

Please god no.
The darragh fella is as big a cheat as his father, which is some going