2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Armagh are some team over the years to give away cheap frees in the last attack of a level or one point game at Croke Park.

The drawn semi-final against Kerry in 2000
The Cosgrave free in 2002 (which they got away with)
The Canavan free in 2005 (which they didn’t)
The one on McManus today

You can throw other times they’ve folded there in razor tight games:
v Galway in 2001 - Justin McNulty got blocked down by Michael Donnellan and Paul Clancy pointed the winner
v Sligo in 2002 - they inexplicably collapsed against 14 men and were saved by the bell and Sligo not going for the jugular when they should have
v Fermanagh in 2004 - lost to a last minute point
v Galway 2022 - were ahead very late in extra-time.

They totally folded in the when in a great position against Meath in 1999.
They fell back in defence when in a great position against Kerry in the 2000 replay.
They fucked away the 2006 quarter-final against Kerry with a gift goal when only two points down with five or six minutes left and with the momentum behind them.
They got away with it against Kerry in the final in 2002 despite doing their best to fuck it away.

Throw in the three penalty shoot out defeats and that’s a county with a pathology about winning big games.

1 Like

Armagh play the worst style I’ve ever seen, even worse than anything Donegal produced under McGuinness.

Pile everyone back, every time, and then break at speed. Don’t even keep one or two forward which means the opposition have to keep two or three back.

And the infuriating thing is they’ve good forwards, better than most teams. Including Monaghan. But no, have to follow the process. Do me a favour. McGeeney an absolute clown.

Well done Monaghan. Honesty wins.

4 Likes

Any manager that can’t envisage o’neil catching a ball on the edge of the d, turning his man and slotting over a point basically has no business managing o’neill.

1 Like

The job nobody wanted.

Can’t praise vinny enough for galvanising this group of players. Things looked fairly bleak in early Feb and it’s astonishing we’re looking at an All Ireland semi final 5 months later. This team has given the county an incredible lift and owe us nothing next day out.

Mansy, Hughes & O’Connell have been playing their “last ever game” for a few weeks now and they’re leaving it all out there. Conor McCarthy is a baller. The move to half back this year is proving genius.

See you in 2 weeks @Tank . :ronnyroar:

19 Likes

I was half hoping some of the Monaghan players would give it the big ‘un at the end following the pens but they were fairly respectful and subdued (or maybe just plain knackered). If the boot was on the other foot…

Hard to see Monaghan raising a gallop in the semi but that was some win tonight. McManus is the GOAT.

2 Likes

They’ll fancy themselves against ourselves, and maybe dublin. Can’t see kerry having much patience for their oul heart and never say die schtick

Maybe my favourite day following Monaghan. A fair few Armagh ones crying badly on the way out, a horrible way to lose. I was totally expended by the end, shaking hands with all the randomers around me, we did it together lads.
We might need Cork to beat Derry to have a chance in the semis.

Still though, think of how badly the league started. The situation seemed very bleak at the start of the year. Now we’ve a minor AI final to look forward to, an AI semi, another year of division 1. Seems to me like plenty of new players getting blooded. Croke Park monkey off our back. Not reliant on Mansy anymore, at least until today. A few men who we were waiting on to move to the next level now seem to have made the leap. I wouldnt want to exaggerate but overall the future looks ok. Not too bad, not bleak anyway.

That was a much better performance than against Kildare BTW. Far more purposeful in attack, much better movement. We really should have blown them away only for the wides. I can see progress, im not sure if it’s apparent on the screen. Some obvious weaknesses in the team, I wont even bother pointing them out. The only time they went flat was at the start of extra time but thatvwas because we moved 3 of our attackers into the square where they couldnt contributr and then never fed them. It wasnt a lack of energy. Im not sure if that came across on tv or not.

19 Likes

Is there a website anywhere you can go to talk about gaelic football, I’m buzzing.

3 Likes

You narrow-minded mercenary partisan insular small-minded bastard.
How fucking dare you?

Im actually bringing this to the attention of the management of noone’s building supplies…the little things

1 Like

Hard to credit the apple munchers losing out on pens yet again. Nothing against them but McGeeney seems like an awful flute. He was giving it the big one after they got handed the win with 2 soft as shite frees against Galway late on.

You’d have to be happy for the Farney men but it probably won’t lead to an interesting semi-final.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/dubslife1/status/1675280217911316480?s=46&t=YOfhVM10W0bcyIiYSLI3Wg

Ironically enough the England of Gaelic Football

1 Like

Donaghy better have gotten a serious wedge out of Armagh because his ‘star’ has lost a bit of its sheen being attached to that set up

Limerick beat Clare in the first penalty shootout in Championship football.

I remember him having a hold of an Aussie on the ground and the poor Aussie didn’t know what to do. Whatever about liking him or not liking him, he was as stand up as they came .

Imagine if Jason Sherlock had got it that time. God forbid. Vinny Corey doing an excellent job.

The Monaghan boys displayed a steely determination after every kick while the Armagh group of 5 were celebrating like soccer players and trying to direct verbals at the next Monaghan kick taker. Even Grugan got sucked into giving it the big un in front of the cluster of young families in the Canal End.

That’s wonderful imagery.

I think it’s a terrible pity the shoot out wasn’t at the Hill 16 end but you’ve summed up there exactly why it wasn’t.

1 Like

Kieran McGeeney blasts GAA time-keeping as ‘very difficult to take’ after All-Ireland defeat to Monaghan

Everyones agin us, the ref, the time, yadda yadda yadda.

Never Geezers fault.

The current cork team are the worst I’ve ever seen.