2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

The Brian Canavan podcast with Niblock and McConville is superb.

Best one Iā€™ve heard after the one with the great Brendan Devenney.

@Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy you were badly missed around here the time of the Club Final when Kilmacud Crokes* shamed the association.

What were your thoughts on the matter?

3 Likes

Simu Liu Reaction GIF by Kim's Convenience

Whatā€™s done is done but Kilmacud came out terribly from it. Glen showed great dignity through it all.

3 Likes

The sponsored PHEVs?

Itā€™s confusing. They play ā€˜Letā€™s danceā€™ at HT and opposition players donā€™t know whether to take their positions or do the griddy. Especially when they see Jack McCaffrey doing both

1 Like

My current best Ulster 15

1. Rafferty (Armagh)
  2. McKaigue (Derry)
  3. Hampsey (Tyrone)
  4. McCloskey (Derry)
  5. McVeety (Cavan
  6. McKinless (Derry)
  7. Rodgers (Derry)
  8. Glass (Derry)
  9. Kilpatrick (Tyrone)
  10. Doherty (Derry)
  11. Oā€™Neill (Armagh)
  12. Meyler (Tyrone)
  13. McGuigan (Derry)
  14. Murnin (Armagh)
  15. Canavan (Tyrone)
4 Likes

I wouldnā€™t have any Tyrone lads in there after getting beat by the worst Monaghan team of the last 10 years.

Ah it was a freak result. Tyrone were really about 10 points a better team but complacency crept in. Monaghan were kept in it in the first half by numerous soft frees.

I think the Group will help Tyrone find some rhythm and build up momentum, Galway and Armagh/Derry will be good run outs for them getting to the pitch of the serious business.

1 Like

Iā€™d hardly call it a freak result. Far from it. Monaghan were full value for a strong second half. You could argue Tyrone were complacent alright.

It was clear to all in the immediate aftermath of the game that whoever lost it, might actually benefit most. Extra time to regroup, avoiding the Derry juggernaut etc.

Still, always nice to beat the neighbour.

Tyrone should have had the game done and dusted at HT but lost control of it in the second half and couldnā€™t turn it around, still took a last minute goal from a half chance to win it though.

Monaghan should still get a QF spot, they should finish 2nd in their group and bard the Galway/Tyrone group - youā€™d fancy them to handle the 3rd placed team in the other groups.

Ulster is in a bad place alright

1 Like

If this is a bad place, Iā€™d love to see what a good place looks like.

Armagh looking to make it the 5th different Ulster champion in 5 years.

Thatā€™s still not a ā€œfreak resultā€. Thatā€™s a team that got overpowered in the 2nd half.

Tyrone will take more in defeat than Monaghan got in winning, however.

Ah it is though. The game should have been over at half time, a number of soft frees kept Monaghan within touching distance. I think they only managed 1 from play in that first half and Tyrone should have had the game killed off.

I thought Tyrone played quite well for a decent bit of that but doing it for 70 minutes seems to be the issue at the minute. Hopefully they can rectify that shortly.

McGeary badly needs dropping however, half forward line is a big issue for Tyrone presently. Oguz and Sludden in there and we can go rightly.

I thought the referee let a lot of the Tyrone shenanigans go in the 1st half. Not sure what happened at half time, but the second half was well reffed.

Complacency crept into the Tyrone mindset, with the league game fresh in the memory, and they switched off. Monaghan capitalised.

Itā€™ll probably be the highlight of our year, unfortunately.

I just found it was the typical referee thing of giving soft frees to the struggling team in the 1st half. Monaghan seemed to get anything that went in front of posts first half. No real quibbles with his decisions when the game was tight.

Monaghan have a very good bunch of forwards now, much better than the MOR glory years of the likes of Gollogly, Malone etc. Their defenders just arenā€™t up to the standard they had back then though.

Itā€™s a transition period and Corey has done a decent enough job to date. Where is Kearns gone this year? They could do with another big man around the middle of the pitch.

True. Tyrone didnā€™t get many soft ones when they were getting outmatched in the 2nd half.

Kearns is a big loss alright. Heā€™s had his health issues and thatā€™s led to the year out traveling decision.

Would agree, look as good as, if not better than '13 in attack. But the full back line has beenā€¦ā€œexperimentalā€ for a couple years now. Drew had his limitations but youā€™d miss him, all the same.

1 Like

Wylie and Walsh are big losses for tight markers. Fintan Kelly has gone to the dogs the past few years too.

Itā€™s a long time since Monaghan have had as many options in attack but theyā€™ll need a few defenders to step up to the plate soon. Is McAnespie rejoining the panel? Heā€™d be a tremendous boost for them.

Ye sent them home with their fannies paddled.