A Doctor was crowned

Could not afford him. He wants a Job not a FAS COURSE

Well done, Choco. I am very proud of you.

1 Like

Heā€™s not an actual doctor

Right Iā€™m lost here, @ChocolateMouse did you get a history PhD in UK?

No he has a history of VD in the UK

5 Likes

Cheers, pal.

No.

Iā€™m not 100%, palā€¦ Iā€™ve to step back a bit now and first off, sort out corrections. Secondly, get short term employmentā€¦ Iā€™ve a part time contract teaching/tutoring at present but not being paid for the summer aint gonna cut it so iā€™ll take on a corporate position in the short term to look after princesses many needs and wantsā€¦

Short term - Iā€™m gonna continue to look at crime and particularly the fabrication of it in the immediate pre-Famine period. Hopefully knock out an article here.
I have another project in mind that examines Fenianism in the States and particularly how one divisive character used Fenianism and the Irish for his own economic/political gain. Probably another article.
If I have the will, iā€™d love to fully develop what I started in my thesis- examining magistrates/gentry in the pre-Famine period. I developed an 850 strong database on individual magistrates from Limerick, Tipp, Clare, Kingā€™s Co., Queenā€™s Co., Leitrim and Roscommon- In it I examined their landholdings, clubs and societies they were members of, other official/civil roles, marriages/family connections etc. etcā€¦ If youā€™re familiar with the NUIG Landed Estates Database, it would very much compliment and add to this and iā€™d love to take on that challenge and extend outside the counties I have examined. This would come down to funding but the first two projects are achievable.

9 Likes

You should talk to my nephew about this. He did some research on court cases and magistrates in Limerick in the 1800sā€¦or maybe you are my nephew???

1 Like

Does he have a surname, this nephew of yours?

Scratch that- Iā€™m gonna take on Limerick GAA as my next project.

Ideas?

Yes, it needs a few no nonsense 1800ā€™s style magistrates involved in it.

1 Like

Vokes from the City. Langford out Askeaton way. Massey from Castleconnell. The Oā€™Grady from Grange/Bruff. The Dickinsons from Croomā€¦ All fine Gaels in their day.

Has anyone written a piece on the local impact on the GAA of the National Party split in the 1890s?

I donā€™t know off the top of my head but thereā€™s an elderly chap here just finishing up a thesis on Limerick from 1920-1945 and he looks into the aftermath of all thisā€¦ My understanding is that the split killed GAA in many areas, particularly Limerick City and soccer and rugby remained strongā€¦ Iā€™ll fire him off an email now and ask him has he any article/book on itā€¦

@ChocolateMice

Are you interested in teaching or lecturing long term?

Teaching at second level?? Not a hopeā€¦ Lecturing, I thought I wasā€¦Iā€™m not sure anymore. Academia is some amount of horse-shite tbh.

Iā€™m confused. How do you plan on making a living?

Thereā€™s an interesting piece that the late Seamus Ɠ Ceallaigh wrote in One Hundred Years of Glory which was the Limerick GAA history produced in the Centenary Year of 1984.

There were basically two county boards, one led by a priest from Fedamore if I recall correctly.

Iā€™ll try dig the article out and reference it or you could try get your hands on a copy of the book. Itā€™s out of print a long time but most older Gaels in Limerick would have a copy.

Itā€™s the only article I can recall coming across, but it gave a good insight into the goings-on of the time. Of course, not a whole lot has changed in the meantimeā€¦

As a matter of interest, were the magistrate class turncoat locals, or Protestant settler/planter types, and if the latter, had their families been long ingrained or more recent?