A new low for the GGA - part 6345

He really needs to get some new sources

Huh? I admitted I was wrong when I said stewarding wasnt what it should have been?

In fact NO fingers have been pointed at the stewarding in O Moore Park and the trust the GAA has in the good men of Laois GAA is copperfastened by the All Ireland Club Football Semi Final taking place there in two weeks time.

I think Laois GAA are to be commended no-one died during these horrible scenes in fact :clap:

The gaa is really gone to hell in a handbasket, it is nothing but new lows

By Claire O’Brien
Thursday February 02 2012

A SOLICITOR and football mentor who punched a teenage player in an unprovoked pitchside assault has been given a three-month suspended jail sentence.
Conor Connelly (32), a former intercounty footballer, pleaded guilty to assaulting the 17-year-old. The incident happened during the Offaly senior county football league final between Edenderry and Ballycumber last July.
At Tullamore District Court yesterday, Judge Catherine Staines said violence could not be tolerated in sport.
The Edenderry player was trying to keep the ball in play when he brushed against Connelly, a Ballycumber mentor. As the boy’s momentum brought him across the sideline, Connelly immediately struck the boy in the face, resulting in serious damage to his front teeth.
He is still receiving dental treatment for his injuries.
The teenager continued to play the match but later had to be substituted.
Inspector Kieran Keyes said the assault, which was caught on camera, was unprovoked.
He added that the teenager, who is doing his Leaving Cert this year, was making a good recovery.
Solicitor Donal Farrelly said Connelly was ashamed by a momentary lapse in concentration near the end of a very passionate match.
Mr Farrelly said Connelly immediately stepped down as a trainer in the aftermath of the incident and withdrew from the sport, putting an end to a fine career during which he played senior football with Roscommon.
He said Connelly didn’t know the victim and his reaction to hit him had been instantaneous and had not been thought out. He said there was no prospect of Connelly reoffending and the victim and his family had “graciously” forgiven him.
He said his client had visited the boy and his family days after the incident and unreservedly apologised. His actions have left him with “a heavy heart” and great shame.
In December, Connelly, of Montpelier Court, Montpelier, Dublin, paid €11,000 compensation, including the boy’s medical and legal costs.
Mr Farrelly asked the judge to consider leaving Connelly without a conviction as he had dealt with the issue promptly and fairly.
Judge Staines said the DPP had rightly persisted with the prosecution despite the boy’s family wanting no criminal charge.
She said it was a very serious assault, aggravated by the fact that Mr Connelly was an adult and the victim a child.
In his favour were his lack of previous convictions, his immediate remorse and his prompt payment of compensation.
The three-month sentence she imposed for assault causing harm is to be suspended for two years.

• Claire O’Brien

Apparently an anonymous donor has paid Derrytresk’s 5K fine.

Derrytresk banned from Championship for 5 years

DERRYTRESK HAVE BEEN banned from the provincial and All-Ireland Club Championships for five years following a meeting of the GAA’s Central Hearings Committee (CHC) last night.

The Tyrone club, who appealed the hefty sanctions handed down following the violence which marred their semi-final win against Dromid Pearses of Kerry, have been cleared to play in Sunday’s All-Ireland Junior football final, although they will be without seven squad members.

Four of Derrytresk’s first-team players and four substitutes were suspended last week for their part in the Portlaoise brawl, which flared up when a number of substitutes jumped onto the pitch to get involved in a row between players.

Of the eight, star forward Joe McKee is the only player to have his ban overturned on appeal, freeing him to line out against St Patrick’s Clonbur in Croke Park on Sunday.

Four-week bans for Kevin Campbell, Michael Robinson, Sean Slater and Brian Gavin were all upheld at last night’s hearing, which is reported to have lasted until the early hours of this morning. The three remaining players did not contest the Central Competition Control Committee’s (CCCC) proposed penalties.

Derrytresk’s original fine of €5,000 was also halved to €2,500 on appeal.

The CHC also attached a number of conditions to Derrytresk’s appearance in the All-Ireland Junior football final on Sunday.

Only the team manager, secretary, doctor (if any) and physiotherapist (if any) may enter onto the pitch area before the game, at half-time or in the immediate aftermath of the game.
Water Carriers shall be provided by the CCCC.
During the course of the game, the secretary shall remain in the stand with the substitutes.
Only the team manager shall be permitted on the sideline.

A statement from the CHC confirmed that Derrytresk can now appeal the penalties to the Appeals Committee, and then to the Disputes Resolution Authority (DRA) if they so wish.

A spokesman for the Tyrone club was not prepared to make a comment when contacted by TheScore.ie this morning.

Dromid Pearses were fined €2,000 and had three players suspended by the CCCC last week for their part in the violence.

That is as low as the GAA can sink. Sickening sectarianism on a par with the Orange Order. Ulster counties should boycott the All Ireland Championship this year.

I know mate, they had the chance to throw these fucking thugs out, but instead, they’ve rewarded their thuggish sickening behaviour with a trot around the hallowed turf of Croke Park Sunday night. I stand firmly behind Clonbur this weekend.

The full details from gaa.ie

AIB All-Ireland Club Junior Semi-Final Dromid Pearses v Derrytresk Fir an Chnoic

Disciplinary action was initiated by the CCCC against Caoimhín Mac Cathmhaoil(‘Behaving in any way which is dangerous to an opponent’), Michael Mac Roibin(‘Contributing to a melee’), Sean Ó Slatár(‘Behaving in a way which is dangerous to an opponent’), Brian O Gáibhin (‘Attempeting to strike’) and Cumann Dhoire Treasc Fir an Chnoic (‘Disruptive conduct by Players, Team Officials and Supporters (not causing the Premature Termination of a Game’)
They chose not to accept the penalties proposed and requested a hearing.
A hearing of the Central Hearings Committee took place on .07/08.02.12, following which the following penalties were imposed.

Cumann Dhoire Treasc Fir an Chnoic –
(a) the Club are ineligible to compete in the Provincial or All-Ireland Club Championships for the next 5 years.
(b) The Club can play in the AIB All-Ireland Club Junior Gaelic Football Final on Sunday next with the following restrictions:
i. Only the Bainisteoir, Rúnaí-Sealadach, Doctor (if any) and Physiotherapist (if any) may enter onto the pitch area before the game, at half-time or in the immediate aftermath of the game.
ii. Water Carriers shall be provided by the CCCC.
iii. During the course of the game, the Runai-Sealadach shall remain in the stand with the substitutes.
iv. Only the Team Manager shall be permitted on the sideline.
© A fine of €2,500 was imposed.

Caoimhín Mac Cathmhaoil, Michael Mac Roibin, Sean Ó Slatár, Brian O Gáibhin were each suspended for 4 weeks at the same Code and Level, inclusive of the next Game in the same Competition of the Competition Year, even if that Game falls outside the Suspension time period.

The CHC decided that Disciplinary Action should not have proceeded against Seosamh Mac Aoidh.

Disciplinary process explained:

Penalty Proposed.
The Competitions Control Committee proposes a penalty. It is either accepted or rejected.
If it is rejected, a Hearing is granted.

The Hearings Committee (decision makers) either impose a penalty or exonerate based on evidence presented during the Hearing.

If penalty is imposed by the Hearings Committee, and the defending party is not willing to accept the imposed penalty, then an Appeal can be lodged to the Appeals Committee.

The appeal is heard by the Appeals Committee. If Appeal is unsuccessful then the penalty remains imposed and all avenues of Appeal are now exhausted within the GAA ( The Appeal can only be successful where there has been a clear infringement or misapplication of Rule by the Hearings Committee or the Appellants right to a fair hearing has otherwise been compromised to such extent that a clear injustice has occurred).

However, if the defending party is still not willing to accept the imposed penalty, a request for Arbitration may be lodged to the DRA (Disputes Resolution Authority) who are an external Independent Body and all their decisions are binding.

Christ, that’s as ridiculous and bizarre a disciplinary punishment as I’ve seen the GAA dish out.

Even worse than the time that Offaly fella dived under Matties boot?

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 654128”]
Even worse than the time that Offaly fella dived under Matties boot?[/quote]

Most certainly.

The GAA’s anti-Tyrone & anti-Ulster agenda clearly signifies the sectarian and partitionist attitude of this vile organisation. I believe the 9 Ulster counties should now boycott the All Ireland Championship until equality is brought into equation. The Ulster Championship is the biggest prize in the GAA anyway.

There are disgusting scenes that happen in the GAA every week, this should be sorted, but to pin the blame on the victims in this case is disgusting. The Kerry lads wanted a fight and they got a beating.

I find it strange that very little was made in the media of the fact that Dromin had three men sent off in the match and Derrytresk zero. If it was the otherway around it would have been brought up in every discussion of the incident. Very harsh penalties on the club, but the precident is now set and as long as there is consistency from this point on for similar incidents then fair enough. Harsh on Derrytresk though

When you say harsh, are you referring to the individual suspensions or the Club suspension? 5 years is a decent slab of time, but would only come into play if they were to win an IFC or get relegated back JFC again, both being in the what if regions. I would have absolutely no sympathy for the substitutes who had no right entering the fracas in the first place and most are lucky to have gotten off as lightly as they did. I do feel sorry for the players caught up in it however though, rush of blood to the head and they miss out on potentially their greatest day ever, but such is life, we all take responsibility for our actions in life. Something I have noticed in recent years in the degree of suspensions coming down the line for such issues are getting stronger so this isn’t an isolated response imo.

On a related matter, I find it interesting that no video footage came out of the post game scenes.

Why have the Kerry side got off without any ban? They were the instigators here, if anything they should have been the ones who got the harsher punishment. Shameful from the GAA but hardly surprising.

Agree completely.

So you’re happy with the suspensions Derrytresk have gotten and believe that the Kerry side should get similar punishments?

I imagine this will be thrown out on appeal because it defies logic but it’s a shame for Derrytresk to have it hanging over them going into the final all the same.

Trial by fucking Liveline for a nothing incident. Dromid must be angling for a sponsorship deal with Pampers or something. The stuff that happened in that match was no different to what happened in the Armagh-Cork game.

Yet Diarmuid Connolly gets away scot free with a blatant knee to the head of an opponent, Keith Higgins gets away with a punch to the temple of a Galway player - two potentially very dangerous incidents, and nothing is said about the rule where you can’t upgrade a yellow card.

I think I may even lend my support to Derrytresk in person this weekend.

You’re not really answering my question there Bandage, you believe the correct course of action was the one to Dromid then and had Derrytresk gotten the same treatment it would be ok? Or should the GAA have done nothing at all?