Abortion Referendum Thread

Why should I vote to repeal the only Constituational protection that there is for the right to life of the unborn, when I believe in the right to life of the unborn? The Supreme Court confirmed unanimously as recently as March of this year that the 8th Amendment is the only Constitutional protection that there is for the unborn. I believe that any termination is the taking of human life but that termination is justified and should be permitted in circumstances such as fatal foetal abnormalities, rape and cases where there is genuine risk of suicide. I don’t believe in abortion on demand though and I feel that the inevitable consequence of a Yes vote on Friday will be abortion on demand.

2 Likes

You have a choice on Friday to either effect change or to try and ensure the status quo remains. It’s as simple as that.

That’s the problem with real-life decisions, they’re often imperfect, require compromises and can push us into uncomfortable places.

Many many of your fellow citizens are plainly asking you for your support and to trust in their decisions when they are faced with probably the biggest real-life decisions of their life. So don’t be whining in the abstract about trusting politicians or parroting phraseology like “abortion on demand” or whatever other excuse you need to justify your No. Just man-up and state clearly that you don’t trust your fellow citizens and either way you’d like to impose your moral compass upon them.

In my opinion, much like No voters in the Divorce and Same-sex marriage referendum you’ll be on the wrong side of history and its a curious collection of fellow-travellers you’ll be getting into bed with but I’m sure you’ll be comfortable telling all and sundry for years to come that you were a proud No voter in the 2018 referendum.

1 Like

Will we have a moratorium on this tomorrow?

I’m going on a killing spree if there isn’t.

1 Like

Babies, hopefully - although I might wait until Saturday night for to tie it neatly in with Liverpool being in a European Cup final.

Hanoi Niamh is wearing a Mayo away jersey.

This will be bigger than winning Sam could ever be.

DEV says YES to changing the constitution.

1 Like

If you said you were going to vote no would the yes side buy you a ticket to fly to Hanoi?

1 Like

Absolute cretins looking for cars to beep their horns for yes.

I would love it, love it if the No side win.

2 Likes

@Rocko

Any chance of imposing the same moratorium on this thread?

The aftermath will be worse no matter which side wins, even though i think the no side has more crazies than the yes and would be more upset at the result.

Im expect @Cicero_Dandi to go into complete meltdown is the yes side win. Two weeks on the losing side will tip him over the edge.

And abortion was freely available in the last country he lived in and didnt cause him one iota of an issue on a day to day basis

What relation is he to Cora

Of course both sides would prefer if there was no abortion. The yes side just want the option available, everyone would have a strong preference if nobody had to go through with the trauma of it

He has missed this point on several occassions

He just said he thinks it should be dealt with by legislation which brings it squarely back to the politicians

She really isn’t. I’d say she has never convinced anyone in her life. Even with a killer point just there she manages to fuck it up with her delivery.

I will be over at your moms around 7ish and Il vote then. She can abort on Monday morning then.

Agreed. She had an article about her cancer diagnosis which could’ve been a wonderfully powerful pro ssm article had she not projected her own prejudices and paranoia onto others.