Abortion Referendum Thread

There is zero evidence it stops anyone from having an abortion you dolt.

What about the morals of the unborn. Iā€™m sure if they were allowed see the light of day they might have some too

Shush, you are talking about collections of cells or zygotes here. Not in any way related to babies.

1 Like

How is it workable? If itā€™s alright to have an abortion abroad, why is it not alright to perform the abortion in Ireland?

So you dont believe unborn children should have ny rights. You havenā€™t attempted to argue why you belive that insane position. But each to their own.

Youā€™re not, because anyone who decides to can travel abroad (and do) to terminate their pregnancy. You can limit elective abortion as is being proposed, and any rational person should be OK with that, unless they approve of forcing people to have children.

Claire Byrne last Monday week was the clear example of this. RTƉ were naturally keen to have balance in a yes/no referendum in terms of number of participators, speaking time etc, but this also required the moderator to intervene when one side when spouting falsehoods. You canā€™t just tell someone itā€™s their turn to speak and let them off unchecked if theyā€™re lying. Byrne was absolutely brutal last week but Pat Kenny really put RonĆ”n Mullen in his place tonight any time he tried this tactic.

2 Likes

Read the post you quoted. Youā€™ve basically asked the same thing over and over. Your mind is closed to this, accept that

1 Like

But why limit it so in your eyes, why have a 12 week limit. If you support this proposed legislation are you not forcing a couple with a 13 week pregnancy to give birth

Iā€™d like to think my relentless hounding and taking the piss out of him on Twitter has contributed to his meltdown.

Yes Iā€™m sure he was quivering in his boots.

I havenā€™t.

You think itā€™s ā€œworkableā€ that we can send crisis pregnancies to the UK.

I ask you again, if itā€™s OK to have abortions abroad, why is it not ok to perform them in Ireland?

Women at the end of the day should be trusted to do whats right, as they carry the child.

I donā€™t like the sound or thought of an abortion but it happens. Its a horrible scenario. I most likely will not vote. I can see pros and cons to both sides of the argument, being honest.

He is now, mate.

Yet another catastrophic political failure for him.

Itā€™s like anything he touches turns to shit.

Where have I said that to quote yourself? A developing human life should have rights, but they should never rise the level of the mother, which is the primary reason the 8th has to be repealed, the ridiculous equal right right to life nonsense.

I believe rights are on a continuum. Granting rights to a first trimester zygote/embryo/fetus is nonsensical, but a fetus that can survive outside the womb should have rights, including the right to life as long as the mother is not medically threatened. You lump all stages of pregnancy into one category, called ā€œbabyā€ which is nonsensical from a biological, moral and legal basis.

1 Like

And we go again.

Its not ok because here in ireland unborn kids have rights.

Its ok in the uk as they have no such rights.

While they are protected in ireland there exists a constitutional right to travel. Maybe not ideal but a workable compromise. You would love if there was an outright ban on travel, it would be very cut and dried, but it isnt.

Ah so you believe in a position that backs up your opinion on where rights lie. Just based on your own thoughts. Thatā€™s convinced me. Comprehensive argument.

Personally I would allow elective abortion beyond 12 weeks, but thatā€™s unlikely to be passed in Ireland. My position is based on the legal systems in all civilized countries other than Ireland. In the US and Canada, the majority of states are 20 weeks.

12 weeks though is ample time in this day and age, assuming pregnancy tests and medical abortion services (the pill) are freely available. A woman knows she is pregnant within 6 weeks, there is really no excuse for second trimester abortions these days unless medically necessary.

How is it workable?

Can you not answer my question?

Why is it legally OK to allow women to travel abroad for abortions but illegal to let them have abortions in Ireland? Where is the logic in that?

Thereā€™s no logic, other than it ā€œfeelsā€ right to control people.

1 Like