Abortion - Yay or Nay? Labane and Sid talk American politics, Codegreen ponders on the cost

No but it does expose the hypocrisy of some of the borderline racist crap that has been written abroad about Ireland over the past few days and which has happily been joined in by many people in this country.

Is Jesus really God or just a shocking Holy Saint?

Ah yes, you could always fire this at the big target on their heads…

Wrong thread pal… Tho I would love to know the answer to that. Could you flesh it out in the anti Catholic thread?

Nay for me. The notion that you can define a nation by the more imaginative ways in which it gets rid of its unborn is something that annoys me to be honest. On top of it we have to listen to Badchips peddling her on-demand line all too often.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A,_B_and_C_v_Ireland

The Irish Constitution section 40.3.3 provides that “the State acknowledges the right to life of the unborn and, with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate that right.” Ireland’s laws state abortion is only allowed where continuation of pregnancy would put a woman’s life (not merely health or other interests) at risk.

I find that completely contradictory.

[font=verdana][size=4]Basically the as far as practicable part means the life of the mothers life gets precedence in case of there being a conflict between the two. Per the X Case it means a woman will have a right to an abortion if there is “a real and substantial risk” to her life, including threat of suicide.[/size][/font]

The Constitution is like a Facility Agreement between a bank and borrower. Full of contradictions and general horseshit that nobody actually understands.

I don’t see how the judgement of the X Case can be squared with what the constitution says.

The X Case clearly puts forward a judgement in which it is implied that the mother’s life takes precedence over that of the foetus.

Whereas the constitution says the right to life of the mother and foetus are equal. Equal implies that the mother’s life cannot take precedence over that of the foetus in any circumstances. That means there can be no abortion in any circumstances. If there can, then the foetus’s right to life is not equal to that of the mother.

I’m just trying to point out the inconsistency here, I find the notion that the foetus can have equal right to life to the mother to be absurd.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 724605”]I don’t see how the judgement of the X Case can be squared with what the constitution says.

The X Case clearly puts forward a judgement in which it is implied that the mother’s life takes precedence over that of the foetus.

Whereas the constitution says the right to life of the mother and foetus are equal. Equal implies that the mother’s life cannot take precedence over that of the foetus in any circumstances. That means there can be no abortion in any circumstances. If there can, then the foetus’s right to life is not equal to that of the mother.

I’m just trying to point out the inconsistency here, I find the notion that the foetus can have equal right to life to the mother to be absurd.[/quote]

I see what you’re saying but as GAB said above there is the disclaimer, as far as practicable, which in real terms means that the life of the unborn is equal unless one threatens the other in which case it is secondary.

Anyway as has also been pointed out not much of that really applies here. It wasn’t a viable long term pregnancy so a different standard applies to terminating it, and those terminations happen routinely enough.

under no circumstances. The cheek of those poverty ridden Indian cunts talking down to us, when 85% of the population there doesn’t even have a working jacks

Imagine the uproar here if an Irish woman died in an Indian hospital under the same circumstances.

Where this happened is irrelevant, the fact that Irish law played a part in a doctors medical decision in treating this lady is scandalous and needs to be urgently addressed.
If a Yes vote to abortion is needed to stop another case like what happened to that Indian family in Galway, then by all means its a Yay from me.

all that and burning widows ffs

[quote=“carryharry, post: 724608”]

Imagine the uproar here if an Irish woman died in an Indian hospital under the same circumstances.

Where this happened is irrelevant, the fact that Irish law played a part in a doctors medial decision in treating this lady is scandalous and needs to be urgently addressed.
If a Yes vote to abortion is needed to stop another case like what happened to that Indian family in Galway, then by all means its a Yay from me.[/quote]

It’s the lack of law that’s the issue here. The judgement in the X case was an interpretation of the constitution and the judge urged the government of the day to enact legislation to clarify the situation. Twenty years later and no government has had the courage to grasp the political nettle.

Abortion debate on the Late Late now.

Bit late for that isn’t it . Ahoy

Who was that smug cunt second from the right i love to punch him in his smug fuckin face

:clap: :guns:

The answer is no.

At least 14 people have been killed and many injured in a crush at a religious ceremony in Bihar, northern India.
Many of the dead are feared to be women and children.

There must be an inquiry into this, it must never happen again