AFL 2024

Georgiadeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss

75-64. 8 minutes left.

Finn McGuinness for Hawthorn reduces the margin to 75-71 moments after Moore had hit the post for them.

3:35 left.

Pick me up off the floor. The most dramatic of finishes. James Sicily takes a contested mark 45 metres out with exactly a minute left. The shot looks good, and tails off at the last moment and hits the post.

Port Adelaide somehow survive the last minute with Jason Horne Francis lying on the sideline with lockjaw in his leg. 75-72 the final score.

Coach Hinkley is in tears on the sideline.

It’s the greatest sporting spectacle on earth.

The insurgent Hawks who went 0-5 at the start of the season and looked to be in a straight battle with North Melbourne to avoid to the wooden spoon, and who then suddenly transformed into the best team in the competition, they are GONE.

Sydney v Port Adelaide in the prelim next Friday.

I’m going to enjoy absolutely crushing Port.

I’m on Team Port. A proper traditional football club. 35 SANFL and AFL premierships combined.

If you don’t have a soft spot in your heart for Coach Hinkley, you are dead as a person.

South Melbourne will win the prelim by 67 points.

Got to see the ladt 2 mins, a good time to swithc it back on!

Hinkley was some dick after the game mouthing off tho

Winning is about leaving your opponents prostrate at your feet.

Ginnivan said what he said to Isaac Heeney about see you in 14 days. He won’t be seeing Heeney in 14 days.

Footscray lost “nicely” to Hawthorn last week. Lots of smiles, lots of hugs, lost of best wishes after the game, lots of let’s meet up for beers with you guys after the finals are over. That’s why they are where they are with a squad that should be winning Premierships.

Hinkley let Hawthorn know about what Ginnivan said, as is his perfect right. He might as well, Port are going to get smashed next week and he’s probably getting sacked anyway.

And maybe pitching up at West Coast next year…

Port are an absolutely horrible club, full of horrible people and even more horrible supporters.
The majestic Sydney Swans will annihilate them on our way to winning the flag.

Yeah a lot of talk in the media this week about Hinkley and even Luke Beveridge and that WCE should approach both even if it is unlikely to happen. I think its more likely an existing assistant at one of the current finals clubs ends up with the job.

But Hinkley was an arse there. Ginnevan made an innocuous comment on instagram. Hardly any major issue. But mouthing off from the head coach to the opposition players on the field as they are about to chair of a 300 game player is shit behaviour. Some are happy he gave it back to ginnevan after his comment, I’d say far more will be happy to see Sydney pummel them next week.

Port are a team of the people.

Hinckley’s an arsehole, end of.
@Gman what’s to become of your beloved WCE?

Port are a team of the worst kind of racist arrseholes in the world. What they did to Adam Goodes should never be forgotten.

You can call it an innocuous comment, but in a game that finished 75-72, that comment likely was the difference between Hawthorn making it through and not. The motivation factor a team gets from being dismissed like that is off the charts. It makes them dig in like hell. Old school stuff still matters. The way Port dug in for most of the third quarter and then the first half of the last quarter, that won them the game, and that digging in is made so much easier by the knowledge you’re playing a team you imagine as entitled flash cunts coming into your back yard.

Anyway Hawthorn can now use Hinkley as motivation for next year, when they’ll most likely win the flag, so it’s all good for them.

West coast had a couple of years of bad list management. They had Tim Kelly on a plate, and passed him up. Then gave up a lot of picks that would be beneficial now to a team needing a rebuild. They had a chance to move on Gaff, didnt, and he retired a faded player. I think the biggest problem, and an unfortunate one, was NicNat. They gave him a huge contract, and they lost some really top class rucks in that period, but he was constantly injured and never really finished his career well.

I think to an extent, Simpson was too loyal and not cut throat enough with older underperforming players. But thats the challenge, getting rid of guys who won you a premiership. Its a fine edge, do too much, and you lose a club over it, dont do enough, and you end up at the bottom (also, see Richmond Tigers 2024). I think though that Harley Reid is one of, if not the best, draftees of the last few years. He really is exceptional and is a key player you can actually build a team around. A few interstate players are looking to trade back, so if they can land a bagful from the Barass trade, they can continue rebuilding and hopefully, much like the Hawks this year, start looking to creep back into the top 8 over the next couple of years.

1 Like

ah I dont know. They were the width of a post from losing. They finished 2nd on the ladder and were smashed at home last week. If they needed a comment from a renowned troll to make them play better, then there are bigger issues there. I dont think they needed a comment from ginnevan to spur them on, nor do I think it had fuck all bearing on things. It was obviously spoken about but Id wager that being hammered at home and looking like they could be eliminated in straight sets in the playoffs is a far more significant motivator.

Hinkley is still an arsehole tho

Port are the only club to win an AFL premiership with an Indigenous Australian head coach.

Dustin Martin is in talks to join Damien Hardwick at the Gold Coast Suns. Jobs for the boys stuff.

Mark Williams? One of the biggest arseholes in any sport, ever.

Can only be a good thing for the flowdering Suns. Imagine having Dustin Martin turning up at training.

What a moment