AFL 2024

In my view it’s a dreadful format and it seems to me there’s a reasonably commonly held view out there that the award has become a bit of a joke. It’s basically the exact opposite format to the GAA’s All-Stars which value performing in the key games.

I watched a lot of Carlton this year and while Cripps was good and certainly among their top three or four players, the idea that he’s a runaway player of the year is laughable. The award seems to heavily favour midfield players over any other position and doesn’t take context into account at all. It favours you if you’re on a middling team because you don’t have many competitors on your team who will get votes instead of you. Carlton were second at the start of July and then went into freefall. In any other sport failing to such an extent at the business end of the season would rule you out but not in the Brownlow because it’s quantitative. You could theoretically win it by having a great first half of the season and then completely falling away, which to be honest is not far away from what Cripps actually did. Name recognition is huge as well.

It makes for good television though as the thing can be drawn out over a couple of hours, it’s like the Eurovision with the voting format.

For me Daicos was the standout player in the competition this year. He’s the best player in the game.

‘To be a cult figure, a cult hero in the game is a massive, massive achievement’ – Zach Tuohy’s phenomenal AFL career

Zach Tuohy of the Geelong Cats celebrates kicking a goal against Sydney Swans in 2023 - the Laois man has played his last AFL game after confirming his retirement

Donnchadh Boyle

Today at 18:00

The sight of Zach Tuohy sitting in the stands at the weekend as the action unfolded in the Melbourne Cricket Ground jarred. For the curtain to come down on one of the great Irish sporting careers, with the Portlaoise man among nearly 100,000 spectators, felt wrong.

Since announcing his 15th season would be his last in the AFL, we wondered whether he’d be granted the Hollywood ending of a Grand Final win in his last game. Sport doesn’t usually proffer such saccharine-sweet endings. And on Saturday morning, Geelong fell at the penultimate hurdle.

Tuohy’s omission from the squad was big enough to make the TV sports news in Australia. He is, by any measure, a star in the game, recognised as one of the best boots in the league, with remarkable durability. On this side of the globe, our AFL exports rarely get the credit their codebreaking feats deserve.

The problem with Zach Tuohy is for the past 15 years, he’s done his best work in the dark. When he’s been lighting up Aussie Rules ovals on one side of the world, we’ve often only been drawing the curtains.

Familiarity and visibility mean it’s easy for us to appreciate the work and talent it takes to forge a career in the Premier League, but for most here, the AFL elicits only a shrug of the shoulders and a vague familiarity.

For that reason, Tuohy’s achievements have gone more unheralded here than they should. He’s played 288 games – a record for an Irishman – and has won a Premiership. By Aussie standards, he’s had a remarkable career. But for someone who didn’t play the game or hold a Sherrin oval ball until he was an adult, what he has achieved marks him as one of Ireland’s most underappreciated sports stars.

Tuohy went out to Australia as a shaggy-haired Laois minor who’d scored a brilliant goal against Derry at Croke Park. He finishes up a record breaker, a man who followed the trail blazed by the likes of Jim Stynes and Tadhg Kennelly and kept on going.

Ciarán Sheehan was there at the very beginning. The pair had been courted by Carlton for more than a year and were brought out for a month-long visit in 2009. Sheehan was 18 and Tuohy had just turned 19 when the club’s CEO put them up in his pool house.

“We went out in 2009, that summer, for about four weeks,” Sheehan recalls. “The two of us and we stayed together and flew out together. I remember leaving Dublin airport and our parents being there. It was both of our first big trips away on our own.”

How Aussie clubs dealt with young Irish imports at the time wasn’t an exact science. But Carlton’s idea was to acclimatise the pair for a month before bringing them back out for pre-season.

What followed was a sliding doors moment for the pair. Tuohy went back out to Australia and has since admitted he had to force himself to go, but with Cork football flying high, Sheehan stayed home. It was a wise decision as a year later he won an All-Ireland title. Sheehan kicked a point as Cork beat Down.

But before all of that, he had to tell Tuohy he was going on a different path.

“At the time, I think it was an email, I might still have the email,” Sheehan remembers. “I remember letting him know and it wasn’t an easy thing because we were going out there together and things are an awful lot easier when you are going out together.

“But I knew Zach as a person. I knew what kind of a character he was, he’d fit in anywhere. He’s very personable and there was an Irish presence there already with Setanta [Ó hAilpín], so he would have that bit of support.

“But, yeah, it was a difficult one. I remember having a bit of a sick feeling in my stomach for that element of it. We had gone out there as a duo, had been in contact with them for over a year as a duo and then I felt like I was leaving him behind. But it goes to show how things turned out for him that he was better off without me, that’s for sure!”

Just before Conor Nash answers the phone, he picks up a message from the Hawthorn club. It’s the one that comes at this time every year and outlines the squad and who won’t be getting a deal for the new season. Friends and colleagues delisted in a ‘thanks-very-much-next’ kind of way. In some cases, careers are over.

It’s a reminder that behind all the winning and losing and running through barriers, they are working in a cutthroat business. Every year a wave of hotshot new rookies come into the system and every year someone is forced out. In the AFL, longevity is perhaps the most difficult thing to pull off.

Nash is 26 and recently signed a five-year deal to stay with Hawthorn. Deals of such duration are rare in the AFL, but it reflects Nash’s standing in a Hawthorn side that has surged back into the reckoning. Early next season, he’ll become only the seventh Irish player to play in 100 games. He is well-placed to assess exactly what Tuohy has accomplished.

“I think it maybe comes back to the stats around it,” says the Meath native.

“He’s only the second Irish player to reach 200 and is the record-holder himself. And from learning the game, they say there are transferable skills and that’s all well and good, but to be so consistent for so long…

“I mean, the stats came out for the average career. We just had a few guys who got delisted today and the message goes out ‘Thanks, and such and such won’t be receiving contracts next year’.

“Like the average career is three and half years, I think that is a rolling average across everyone. So someone who is in his what, 15th season? It’s just amazing.

“Getting your first game can take so long and even getting to 50 games is maybe the hardest, but for someone like Zach . . . it’s a young man’s game. I’m 26, but I’m starting to see where the new talent is coming from every year. And the turnover of lists from each year, it doesn’t get any easier. Yes, you might be an established player, but there are young guys coming in, maybe top draft prospects, that are there to take your spot.”

As it happened, Sheehan and Tuohy would be reunited. Carlton never lost their interest in Sheehan and had approached him about coming out a number of times before he signed on in 2013.

He found an extraordinarily demanding sport. The physical expectations, requiring in the region of 12-15km to be covered in a game, were remarkable.

“If you stepped into a changing room at the end of a game, it’s almost like the end of a battle,” Sheehan explains. “With the strapping strewn out across the floor, fellas half in the foetal position or sprawled out across the ground.”

However, Sheehan insists it was the mental demands, the ‘always on’ nature, that was most draining. In their game, set-ups and positioning constantly change depending on the scenario.

Carlton also had a ‘right to compete’ chart which listed a series of challenges players had to meet before they could be considered for selection.

“There’d be your key strength indicators, your bench press, your major pulls, squats, your reps on chins and your push and pull factors.

“Then your body fat percentage and that would be individualised – you’d have to be below or on your body fat percentage to have your hand up for selection.

“And then you have your running goals, your 2k time trial times and they might test that a few times in the year and you need to be meeting your goals on that.

“Like KPIs (key performance indicators) in any corporate world, they have to be met or you are not getting played. So it’s extremely rigorous, it’s intense but an unbelievable experience.”

Around half of the Irish exports never get to play a senior game. Sitting on 288 games, Tuohy’s record may never be challenged. “Did I ever envisage he’d have the career he’s had now? Probably, yeah,” says Sheehan. “But 288 is such an unbelievable achievement, any normal player would be happy with 150 games, or ten games. I’m absolutely thrilled with my six!

“It’s an achievement in itself to go over and try to cut it at some level. But to be a cult figure, a cult hero in the game is a massive, massive achievement.”

Tuohy has ambitions to return and line out for Portlaoise before his playing time is all done. There will be inevitable speculation about whether might still offer Laois something too. But whatever he does, his legacy in the AFL is assured.

“You just want to see the Irish boys do well, so from that point of view, Zach has been a real flagbearer for the lads,” Nash says. “Anyone mentions the Irish fellas it’s immediately Jim Stynes, Zach Tuohy and Tadhg Kennelly. To be held in that sort of regard is pretty outrageous.”

Here’s the last quarter of Sydney/South Melbourne’s last Grand Final victory in 2012. Sport does not get any better than this. It’s absolutely Lusitania.

I think you’ll like this one @peddlerscross.

2 Likes

McKenna looks named to start for the Lions and not be the sub for the Grand Final. The Rowers’ Darragh Joyce named as an emergency sub too.

1 Like

That late late Malcescki goal must be one of the greatest sporting moments of all time?

Encapsulated brilliantly in one of my favourite sporting montages ever.

1 Like

It was a great Grand Final moment.

I’m not mad on the music in that montage. But the camera work and production after the siren on the live coverage was incredible. Bruce McAvaney and Dennis Commetti shut up for effect as the song played and let the pictures and the music do the talking. The theatre is off the scale, it’s Adam Curtis-like.

I get a shiver down my spine each year about 7:45am as the ball is thrown in for the final quarter of the Grand Final. As Bruce - who is back on presenting duty for 7 (the network, not o’clock) this year after four years away - always used to say, “the moment has arrived again”. You’re in that half an hour of the year, the half an hour at that time on that last Saturday morning in September

Because the Grand Final is a day match in Melbourne - and it should always stay that way (fuck you Eddie McGuire and 7 Network executives) this means that in Ireland the Grand Final is a night/day affair. The first half is played in pitch dark. Then the dawn happens during the Premiership quarter, and we’re into full brightness for the final quarter.

It’s the inverse of how there’s a beautiful sweet spot on the final evening of the US Masters when the dusk is descending in Ireland and the players are on about the 7th or 8th hole. When the great Peter Alliss was commentating this would be a 20 minutes or so you’d look forward to for the entire year.

The matching of the dates and the times and the conditions to the event and these being traditions in and of themselves is such an integral part of the experience for all sport and all events really, even non-sporting. The American election for instance. When it gets to 11:59pm on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November every four years, you’re in the thick of it. The moment has arrived again.

2 Likes

The Big O being out for Brisbane is heartbreaking after his warrior like effort to carry on with a dislocated shoulder in the preliminary final. The whole of footy is sad for him but at least he was fit enough to teach Katy Perry how to handpass the Sherrin as she warmed up for her half time show.

Sydney captain Callum Mills has been omitted after missing most of the season even though he was deemed fit to play. The story of Mills’ injury woes is a Darwinesque one - he initially tore the rotator cuff in his shoulder wrestling with a team mate at the team’s post-season blowout aka Mad Monday last September, then he wasn’t long back when he did his hamstring. Superpundit provocateur Kane Cornes has no sympathy for him, saying all his injury troubles stem from a lack of professionalism on Mad Monday last year. 'Tis all fun and games until somebody fucks up their shoulder and misses the Grand Final a year later because of it.

The Lizard Nick Blakey marking Big Joe would be as good an individual match up as we’ve had in a Grand Final ever.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 28

Sydney v Brisbane at the MCG, 2.30pm AEST

SYDNEY

In: Nil
Out: Nil

PF sub: Robbie Fox

BRISBANE

In: D.Fort
Out: O.McInerney (shoulder)

PF sub: Conor McKenna

Finals, Grand Final experience

SYDNEY

Dane Rampe: 22 finals, three GFs
Tom McCartin: Eight finals, one GF
Nick Blakey: Six finals, one GF
Jake Lloyd: 19 finals, three GFs
Harry Cunningham: 14 finals, one GF
Lewis Melican: Four finals
James Jordon: Six finals, one GF, one premiership
Chad Warner: Seven finals, one GF
Ollie Florent: Eight finals, one GF
Luke Parker: 25 finals, four GFs, one premiership
Logan McDonald: Five finals
Errol Gulden: Seven finals, one GF
Tom Papley: 14 finals, two GFs
Joel Amartey: Three finals
Will Hayward: Eight finals, one GF
Brodie Grundy: 11 finals, one GF
Isaac Heeney: 16 finals, two GFs
James Rowbottom: Seven finals, one GF
Matt Roberts: Two finals
Braeden Campbell: Six finals, one GF
Justin McInerney: Seven finals, one GF
Hayden McLean: Five finals, one GF
Robbie Fox: Six finals, one GF

Total: 216 finals, 28 GFs, two premierships

BRISBANE

Dayne Zorko: 15 finals, one GF
Harris Andrews: 15 finals, one GF
Noah Answerth: Seven finals
Brandon Starcevich: 13 finals, one GF
Jack Payne: Nine finals
Ryan Lester: Nine finals, one GF
Jaspa Fletcher: Six finals, one GF
Will Ashcroft: Three finals
Hugh McCluggage: 15 finals, one GF
Cam Rayner: 12 finals, one GF
Joe Daniher: 12 finals, one GF
Jarrod Berry: 15 finals, one GF
Charlie Cameron: 22 finals, two GFs
Eric Hipwood: 13 finals, one GF
Callum Ah Chee: 11 finals, one GF
Darcy Fort: One final
Josh Dunkley: 17 finals, three GFs, one premiership
Lachie Neale: 22 finals, two GFs
Kai Lohmann: Three finals
Logan Morris: Three finals
Zac Bailey: 15 finals, one GF
Darcy Wilmot: Nine finals, one GF
Conor McKenna: Eight finals, one GF

Total: 255 finals, 19 GFs, one premiership

You just get it Sid.

https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1839519783341166913?t=R7KpSL6QFcZUXmtdXZfhnw&s=19

1 Like

Bruce is some maestro. He’s the George Hamilton of Australian sports broadcasting. I listened to him commentating on athletics during the Tokyo Olympics on 7 via VPN. Christ he was so good. He just has that effortless, easy authority that all the greats have. His Cathy Freeman call in 2000 is one of the great historical sports calls of all time.

He didn’t get to do the Olympics this year as 7 lost the rights to 10.

I’m letting the heart rule the head and I’m going for Brisbane to do it by 10 tomorrow.

Omens favour the Lions. Both teams have been involved in a Grand Final on September 28th in the past - Brisbane in 2002 when they beat Collingwood by 9 points and Sydney in 1996 when they lost to North Melbourne in one of those not very exciting Grand Finals which were so prevalent in the 1990s.

Weather forecast for tomorrow is excellent - sunshine with a light smattering of cloud, 0% chance of rain and 21 degrees celsius.

It’s the first ever Grand Final between two teams from north/east of the Barassi line.

Time to hit the Bar for one last time this year.

1 Like

Brisbane’s first Premiership and one of my favourite Grand Finals. 18 days after September 11th. Six days after the maroons had won the All-Ireland at Croke Park and I got so drunk I had to spend the night in my grandmother’s house in Drumcondra. The music I was listening to most at the time was the Bummed album by the Happy Mondays and the song Temptation by New Order.

Essendon were big favourites going into this but clued in observers felt the shock was on the cards. Brisbane’s third quarter was the definition of the Premiership quarter. The Brisbane Lions always look better with white shorts in my view and that’s what I hope they wear tomorrow. I have this Essendon guernsey. I always wished that in September 2001 I had tried to go through airport security with a Bombers beanie just to see the reaction. I watched this on Sky Sports downing some strong coffee, then grabbed a fry up over some baked beans afterwards and bolted for the All-Ireland minor football final replay in Breffni Park between Tyrone and Dublin on Bus Eireann. It was the worst sporting event I have ever attended. Spurs led Manchester United 3-0 and lost 5-3. The bus ran into traffic at Virginia on the way back because there were roadworks. There was a telly on the bus and the bus driver put on The Full Monty, the journey was long enough to see it all.

September 2001 was some month.

Let’s go Katie.

Let’s go Swannies.

OMG she starts off with Roar!

Advantage Brisbane.

$5m for 20 minutes. Not bad Katy.

First blood to Brisbane with the coin toss

The moment has arrived again.

Some hit on Warner there

Goalkickers overcompensating for this wind so far.

Brisbane ended last year’s Grand Final with an “advantage” that controversially was paid when it shouldn’t have been, they’ve started this year’s one with an advantage controversially not being paid when it should have been.

Brisbane start with jitters in front of goal with Cameron and Big Joe missing set shots. Sydney rutheless with Hayward and Papley.

Lohmann finally nails Brisbane’s first goal. And now Lohmann again! Mr. Energy has two goals.

Liiiions!