AFL 2024

Exuberant Eagles Exorcise Demons

Bobby Hill goals to put Collingwood 25 points up away to Fremantle with 7 minutes left. Game over, right? Wrong.

Freo kick four goals in a row, and then inside the last minute, have an absolute sitter from open play to win it and miss the big posts but score a behind.

It’s a draw.

Daicos. Name. On. The. Brownlow.

Isaac Heeney will have something to say about that.

Collingwood look tired at the moment. Going into a difficult enough run of fixtures now. with only North Melbourne in a few weeks’ time looking like a gimme.

Heeney has a solid lead alright but it’s fate after injury robbed the Maso Marvel of the award last year. Its just one of those things that feels inevitable.

Chad Warner is getting some highlight reel going now. If he keeps up the form I think he’ll figure strongly and could ne a nice somewhat outside bet. If Essendon keep going well too, hard to see Zach Merret not being right up in contention too.

Was a cracking 4th quarter

Essendon making awful hard work of Richmond here. In serious danger of losing this, just five points up with 13 minutes left.

Richmond have beaten them 13 times in a row.

Merrett and Langford stretch the lead to three goals and that should do it. Nobody beats the Bombers 14 times in a row.

Fourth straight defeat for Geelong earlier after winning their first seven games, losing 78-74 at home to GWS. Carlton bounced back to comfortably beat last week’s world beaters Gold Coast.

The schizophrenic nature of this league is glorious.

1 Like

Richmond had chances to get it back to one goal in the final 3 minutes but just not sharp enough. Geelong in bad form now alright. Brisbane and Melbourne outside the 8 and were 2nd and 3rd favourites pre season. Essendon the big movers tho, 14th ranked amongst bookies and sit 2nd right now.

Things can change so quickly. The eagles were again tipped for the wooden spoon, but on the back of Harvey Reid and Jake Waterman, they look like a team moving in the right direction. The only consistency is Norf will always be shit.

Carlton’s best performance of the season here away to Port Adelaide. They’re 36 up with a couple of minutes left in a fixture in which they’ve lost the last four by an average of 76 points. Eight goals in the final term.

They look a different team with Adam Saad and Lachie Fogarty back from injury and Tom De Koning being the primary ruckman.

The pies seem to have a bit much for the Bulldogs here heading for 3/4 time…just starting to stretch away… 14 points in it but seems as the game as gone a bit dead… even the commentators have remarked on it

Back to a 68-66 margin now in favour of Collingwood - I was surprised to see the Bulldogs were bookies’ favourites to win this. Collingwood have 6 or 7 first choicers out but the Dogs have a good few out injured too.

The goal to reduce the lead to 8 came against the run of play and seemed to change momentum totally

Collingwood under the cosh! Two goals to Footscray in the final quarter without reply and the Dogs lead 82-81 with 11 minutes left.

Could Collingwood draw again? No team has ever drawn three times in one season.

Footscray take the win over the Collingwood espoirs. 100-82.

Pies were missing Scott Pendlebury, Mason Cox, Jordan De Goey, Jamie Elliott, Will Hoskin-Elliott and Brodie Mihocek, not to mention long term absentee Dan McStay.

Footscray’s song is one of the best club songs.

Potential suspension looming for the boy Harley which would rule him out of the Rising Star gong.

1 Like

Jesus the umpires are riding Gold Coast against Essendon here. Clear tackles and not releasing the ball not being paid, then getting penalised 50 for tackling a player who had clearly played on after a mark.

Gold Coast have led the whole way and have gone in front again 67-61 after Essendon somehow got level for a moment.

Essendon level again now though. 67-67. 12 minutes left.

Freo massacred Melbourne earlier 141-49 in Alice Springs. Demons now with three losses from four.

Umpire rides Essendon now and that’s the game decider. 91-80 to Gold Coast with 1:22 left.

Lions atin’ the Dogs at the Telstra Dome.

I did out my AFL wallchart on a word file the other night and despite them currently being on a lowly 18 points, I have the Lions notching 54 points by the end of the season and making the finals.

My final positions were:

1 Sydney
2 Carlton
3 Collingwood
4 Essendon
5 Melbourne
6 Port Adelaide
7 Fremantle
8 Brisbane

Carlton will smash Essendon on Sunday. Mark it down.

2 Likes