Aga Khan Nations Cup 2014

USA! USA! USA! We Believe That We Have Won :clap::clap::clap::pint:

Won at the RDS
She just…Won at the RDS
Won at the RDS
She’s the best showjumper at the RDS

Ireland team confirmed for the big event tomorrow:

Bertrand Allen on Romanovn
Greg Broderick on MHS Going Global (ISH)
Cian O’Connor on Good Luck
Darragh Kenny on Sans Soucis Z.

That seems odd - hasn’t Dermot Lennon been on top form this week?

Just tuned into the showpiece event of the Irish sporting year a few minutes ago there.

Each rider on each team has now completed one round each.

Ireland currently leading on a perfect 0 faults, with the Dutch in second on 4 faults and Great Britain on 5 faults.

I hope Michael Whitaker’s extra fault for finishing 0.09 seconds outside the time limit doesn’t cost us.

A tense and exciting battle for the famous old trophy ahead over the next hour or so.

That’s a strong looking line up chef d’equipe, Robert Splaine has selected for the blue riband event in the RDS today.

Denis Lynch (The brilliant All Star 5)
Greg Broderick (MHS Going Global)
Cian O’Connor (Good Luck)
Bertrand Allen (Hector Van D’Abdijhoeve)

Ireland drawn to jump 3rd.

1 Like

Who is in the auld enemy, GB’s squad Geoff?

What’s the Great Britain line up for the big one, Geoffrey?

I note that the three living legends of British showjumping - the Whitaker brothers John and Michael and Nick Skelton, are all part of the team for Rio, along with Ben Maher, which is tremendous news.

I really hope the three master horsemen and lifetime supporters of our Dublin show will be gracing the RDS Arena again today.

Dublin bound tomorrow.

Unreal, those guys used to compete against Eddie Macken back in the day.
Do young fellas ever play show jumping any more, running around slapping their own arses, jumping milk crates and taking corners very slowly and roundabout despite racing against the clock

2 Likes

Jayses, you’ve just set me back 40 odd years. Mother used to go mad. Sweeping brushes, crates, hurleyes, anything at all to make a few fences out of

1 Like

:clap:

I used to have a serious show jumping arena setup in the back lawn for the week. My neighbour kept show jumpers so we had whips and everything. We’d go over to Kellets in Kildimo (carpet shop) and take the inserts from the carpets to use as poles.

1 Like

I mentioned it in my previous post but that backyard showjumping was a lesson in sportsmanship, no matter how fast you needed to go around it was completely taboo to take a corner in anything but the most ponderous style, often with a bit of rearing up as well and that thing where you’d drag your leg along the ground, the tennis rackets were only put away and there was always the chance that somebody would set up a cycling time trial as well, proper summers.

1 Like

There was a wall a concrete wall between ours and the neighbours which I could clear in a single bound. I couldn’t have been anymore than half a foot taller than the wall.

The most dangerous thing was if you set a sweeping brush handle into something where it couldn’t easily move if you hit it. A recipe for go head over heels onto your face.

USA, Ireland and Italy the only teams with a clear round after the first.

Italy on the verge of a magnificent victory.

Sign in @Nembo_Kid and @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy.

I’ve never felt prouder to be Irish than during the Nations Cup.

No COC no party

Exactly one month on from defeat in Lille, Italy gain revenge over the Irish by winning the jump-off.

Denis Lynch’s delinquent horse refused the final fence and buried the Irish challenge.

With the Frecce Tricolore dominating the Dublin skies this week and the Azzurri claiming the famous old trophy at the RDS, it’s great time for the forum’s Italian community.

Revenge in spades for Italy in the one that really matters.