All hail Robbie Keane

the greatest sporting acheivement ever by an Irishman last night- just pipping Roches tour win - a proud day to be Irish

:clap::clap:

[quote=“north county corncrake”]the greatest sporting acheivement ever by an Irishman last night- just pipping Roches tour win - a proud day to be Irish

:clap::clap:[/quote]

But your not irish, so why care.

He played very well, as did Doyle, for fellas to be saying either didn’t or one works for the other is the stupidest shit i’ve heard in a long time. RK can look lazy sometimes, but fucking hell he ran the bollix off himself last night.

Its taken a long time for me to get back respect for the Irish soccer team, but they did last night.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]But your not irish, so why care.

He played very well, as did Doyle, for fellas to be saying either didn’t or one works for the other is the stupidest shit i’ve heard in a long time. RK can look lazy sometimes, but fucking hell he ran the bollix off himself last night.

Its taken a long time for me to get back respect for the Irish soccer team, but they did last night.[/quote]

id shit better footballers than kevin doyle- he should be playing GGA cause he aint a sportsman

btw i was in your neck of the woods today - id shit nicer places than Cork

[quote=“north county corncrake”]the greatest sporting acheivement ever by an Irishman last night- just pipping Roches tour win - a proud day to be Irish

:clap::clap:[/quote]

:eek:

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]But your not irish, so why care.

Its taken a long time for me to get back respect for the Irish soccer team, but they did last night.[/quote]

Keane was miles ahead of Doyle last night.

I think Doyle is a good player but thought he was poor enough last night. Didn’t carry any threat which is a must for a striker obviously.

I don’t accept that. Certain game plans can limit the threat posed by one striker, to the benefit of the other. If one part of the strikers’ brief is to chase balls down and drag defenders around for the benefit of the team, and if he carries out his duties to the letter, then he’s a model pro to me, and his day will come.

Keane was miles ahead of everyone on the park last night, except the French 'keeper who nearly reached his standard.

I genuinely think that’s the greatest performance I’ve ever seen from an Irishman in any sporting discipline.

An awesome display from the greatest Irish footballer of all time.

Robbie Keane: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

Surely though a striker is measured on his goalscoring threat and more importantly scoring goals? Running around shows a great attitude agreed but at the end of the day Keane stuck his chance away and Doyle didn’t.

Also don’t underestimate Robbie’s workrate last night. Doyle was non existant almost after 70 minutes due to fatigue.

[quote=“Bandage”]Keane was miles ahead of everyone on the park last night, except the French 'keeper who nearly reached his standard.

I genuinely think that’s the greatest performance I’ve ever seen from an Irishman in any sporting discipline.

Robbie Keane: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:[/quote]

:mad::mad:

best Irish footballer my bollox- he is so much more than that after last nights performance- in years to come people will remember tone emmett & robbie keane

he is a bit part player for wolves - there is a reason for that

effort is the minimum requirement for a limited footballer - he shouldnt be applauded for meeting that requirement

Stuck away one of his chances you mean…

Agree on Keane’s workrate, I’m not disagreeing with anyone complimenting Keane on his performance last night, I’m just sticking up for Doyle when the bare facts of the matter he usually plays McCartney to Keane’s Lennon, and he can still point to fine instinctive strikes like Cyprus away.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]

And Im sure that means more to the Irish team than a place at the World Cup :rolleyes:

What a absolute mong you are :guns:

[quote=“Sledgehammer”]Stuck away one of his chances you mean…

Agree on Keane’s workrate, I’m not disagreeing with anyone complimenting Keane on his performance last night, I’m just sticking up for Doyle when the bare facts of the matter he usually plays McCartney to Keane’s Lennon, and he can still point to fine instinctive strikes like Cyprus away.[/quote]

Doyle has a relatively poor goal scoring record though - has he scored ten goals for Ireland yet? It is right that he plays McCartney to Keane’s Lennon - Keane has 41 goals.

Someone paid a very good point here back a few pages - when Ireland get the big goal it is nearly always Keane that gets it.

Also Doyle’s chance was much easier than Keane’s. And Keane did superb for the goal.

[quote=“Bandage”]Keane was miles ahead of everyone on the park last night, except the French 'keeper who nearly reached his standard.

Robbie Keane: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:[/quote]

keane was superb
after work today i was watching an online recording from rte last night and at the end of the regulation 90 mins Billo turns to the lads and asks them for a comment,
eamon just said, “robbie keane and Damien Duff , this is their finest hour”, and i agree.

my earliest recollection of watching an ireland game was in september 1986 when we drew 2-2 away at belgium, i was seven years of age.
Euro '88 and italia 90 (novonta for george hamilton) were famous occasions but i was too young to appreciate the whole thing.

My dad will always make a case to me in a discussion like this about the genius of Brady or the tenacity of Stapleton but to me Robbie Keane is the greatest Irish player of them all, after last nites performace also thet evoked memories of Spain in 2002 i have to put Duffer up there as i though he was awesome last night…

for my greatest irish player honourable mentions to paul mcgrath also and roy keane for single handedly dragging a team of shits like macateer and quinn to the world cup in 2002, as well as to a playoff in 1999 against Turkey.

ironically,it was keane walking out of that squad that saw the international, world class ability of robbie keane and Duff come to fruition

however, robbie keane is my greatest irish player of them all,.

1 Like

[quote=“mickee321”]keane was superb
after work today i was watching an online recording from rte last night and at the end of the regulation 90 mins Billo turns to the lads and asks them for a comment,
eamon just said, “robbie keane and Damien Duff , this is their finest hour”, and i agree.

my earliest recollection of watching an ireland game was in september 1986 when we drew 2-2 away at belgium, i was seven years of age.
Euro '88 and italia 90 (novonta for george hamilton) were famous occasions but i was too young to appreciate the whole thing.

My dad will always make a case to me in a discussion like this about the genius of Brady or the tenacity of Stapleton but to me Robbie Keane is the greatest Irish player of them all, after last nites performace also thet evoked memories of Spain in 2002 i have to put Duffer up there as i though he was awesome last night…

for my greatest irish player honourable mentions to paul mcgrath also and roy keane for single handedly dragging a team of shits like macateer and quinn to the world cup in 2002, as well as to a playoff in 1999 against Turkey.

ironically,it was keane walking out of that squad that saw the international, world class ability of robbie keane and Duff come to fruition

however, robbie keane is my greatest irish player of them all,.[/quote]

Agreed. :clap:

Good post that Mick.

Duff versus Spain in 2002 was his finest hour for us. One of the all time great Irish performances.

:clap:

Ironically while Duff and Keane thrived in the World Cup in 2002 they were a let down subsequently (Duff had struggled badly at international level prior to 2002). Keane in particular until this campaign. He was overweight and just plain useless during Brian Kerr’s time. Substitued in crucial games where he was having zero impact. As captain of Steve Staunton’s calamitous regime he was truly hopeless. True as attacking players they depend largely on the service provided by the midfield and since Roy Keane we havent had a good one. But dont rewrite history either. Duff and Keane failed for Ireland too on the biggest stage but last night in particular Robbie Keane delivered a performance up there with McGrath and Roy Keane in the Giants Stadium, Roy Keane at home to Portugal etc. He was superb.

Ive never been a fan of Robbie Keane but have always admired his persistence and self belief. No matter what happens he always believes in himself. Another player after committing unnecessary handballs like Keane did last night or silly flicks would have lost confidence. Keane doesnt though he always comes back for more in fairness. His performances in this campaign havent been that great generally but he has still got the job done. Winning goals against Cyprus (twice), Georgia, France and the equaliser against Italy is some return.

Duff played well last night particularly in the first half but no more than that imo. I wouldnt forget his non performance in the first leg either. Pretty much bottled a glorious chance too.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Good post that Mick.

Duff versus Spain in 2002 was his finest hour for us. One of the all time great Irish performances.[/quote]

Were we howling about his blatant dive in that game that won us a penalty? He played well that night in fairness.

I have given Keane plenty of stick in the past, words were had in San Marino which I’d say most people would accept was his lowest point, one of Staunton’s lowest points (not forgetting Cyprus obviously), and the mother of all low points for most of the team really. He wasn’t putting in the effort, and his general attitude was poor.

But over the past 2 seasons he has been superb, and as has been said, if there’s a big goal going, it’s usually him that gets it.