All-Ireland Football Championship 2022

Terrible atmosphere there today was flat as a pancake until the end.

If ever a man deserves this moment, it’s Chrissy McKaigue

3 Likes

Derry are gonna bring some crowd to Croker in a few weeks

Tough job for Rory to keep their feet on the ground.

1 Like

Fantastic scenes which few would have envisaged 3 or 4 years back. They did have decent minor teams back around 2016 and 2017 though before the change to U17. You called the Derry success story from a long way out. Essentially beat the provinces “big 3” to win it which only adds to the achievement.

2 Likes

Outscored Michael Murphy I’m fairly sure. Murphy has previous for this, I remember one of the Mcmahons mark and outscore him when Murphy played full forward against Tyrone one year. Glad to see O’Rourke bring a bit of reality to where Murphy ranks in the game.

3 Likes

Now it’s probably chicken and egg with Murphy himself wanting to come out and have an influence on things but it’s a recurring theme with this Donegal team. You’d be doing well to stop him winning a mark if Donegal had anyone that would chance kicking it in to him

No they have tried that, particularly in the game against Tyrone I mentioned. The reality is he has no idea how to create space through movement, (probably because at underage he was always bigger than everyone else so didn’t need to) so any decent fullback is able to spoil him when he plays as a traditional full forward. At this stage I think they would be better off bringing him on late in a game, I think they would get more from the forwards if they weren’t putting everything through his hands. Even his 45s today were poor, criminal for an intercounty side not to be scoring from 45s on a fine day like that.

That must have been a very sweet victory for Rory Gallagher against his former charges in Donegal.

I called it months back yeah.

Gallagher was talking All Ireland’s to this group back in November.

He’s them totally brainwashed.

1 Like

Chrissy wlill be on the batter tonight

All roads lead to the Wattys

1 Like

great day for Derry and scenes, and to think that people want provincal championships scrapped

1 Like

Would Derry celebrate in Derry City tonight or would it be to some town in South of the county?

I was up there last summer during the COVID staycation and was told Derry city is the only show in town

Wattys mate

1 Like

GAA is growing in Derry city, some great facilities built recently. Steelstown are current All-Ireland intermediate champions and had a lad come on as a sub today, don’t know if there has ever been a Derry city lad on the field of play in an Ulster final before. But all the celebrations will be in the east of the county.

1 Like

Tom McGuinness, brother of you know who

Paddy?

1 Like

I checked this - in fact Kerry only led 4-9 to 0-6 at the break having played into a strong breeze.

I’d say it’s actually the first time ever. Amazing given Kildare are probably a top ten team.

Who knows, maybe it is the first time a team has scored five goals in the first half of a championship match in Gaelic football.

But Kildare conceded seven goals in the second half of the 2015 All-Ireland quarter-final against Kerry.

You could argue this but I think conceding seven goals in the second half is more disspriting than conceding five in the first half.

I’m surprised Fagan didn’t mention this but the half time score in the 1959 Munster hurling semi-final was Waterford 8-2 (Eight-Two) Tipperary 0-0 (Zero-Zero). Tipperary were the reigning All-Ireland champions.

Perhaps he didn’t mention it because the inevitable follow up point is that Waterford conceded five goals to Tipperary in the first half of the 2011 Munster final.

1 Like