All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

I can see why

You should follow that mans example Mike. :see_no_evil:

https://youtu.be/jImJIIAAL_g

An utter gent of a man to his fingertips.

Used to fix sticks for me when I was younger.

Couldn’t speak highly enough of him.

1 Like

It’s just one random event and doesn’t take away from his fine career. Realize it’s not an AI, but in the 2012 LF, Tommy Walsh fresh aired two line balls and hit a third straight to Joe Canning who promptly pointed. Doesn’t mean he didn’t belong on a hurling field.

3 Likes

1990 All Ireland football final now on Eir Sports1

1983 AI SH final Ck v Kk on now. Poor fare.

Fair gale that day .

Skehan couldn’t puck it past the 50

The sliotars of that era were far heavier than the spring loaded ones in use today.

I think a heavier sliotar would improve today’s game .

1 Like

They also worse technique and hurleys.

Yeah but it was entertaining with a lot of first time pulling on the ball and may the Lord direct it. You might say that today’s players are faster and more skilful but they can produce some shite matches like Wexfordvand Waterford last Sunday and that shite U21 match tonight

Yes and there were no shite matches back then.

I think there have always been awful games but today’s are awful in a way we haven’t seen before.

It wouldn’t. It would make sweepers and defensive tactics much more effective

Dr Con Murphy said the same in the newspaper at the weekend.

There was no real skills or tactics in Hurling until Clare revolutionsed the game in 1995. Savage unfit lads just flaking the ball around and hoping for the best. Some of them games in the 70’s and 80’s were cat

5 Likes

It was utter dross. It’s no surprise that stick hurling never caught on with the Irish public when you watch games like that.

1 Like

Galway tried some tactics in 1986 when they played Kilkenny in an All Ireland Semi FInal. They played a roving corner forward to create more space in their full forward line. All them beardy cunts with the gold helmets in the Kilkenny backline hadn’t a fucking clue what was going on. Nobody had ever left their position before. Galway scored a rake of goals and won easily. The most enduring image of that game is Kevin Fennelly’s picking the ball out of the net with his big wide arse stuck up in the air.

Galway tried the exact same tactic a few weeks later against Cork in the final. No flies on the Cork boys though. They saw it coming alright. They came up with the masterstroke of leaving their fat corner back John Crowley in his position and the roving corner forward could fuck off for himself. Galway proceeded to spend the day hitting the ball into the unmarked Crowley who duly drove a load of balls 90 yards down the field to huge roars from the Cork supporters. Crowley won himself an unlikely man of the match award on the strength of it. That was the end of tactics in hurling for about 15 years until Donal Og started fannying around with puc Outs. Clare in the 90’s don’t count. Getting fit isn’t a tactic.

24 Likes

A demented cult of running up dunes in lahinch and hills outside Shannon . Cop on .