All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Come on, Mick. Is that it, childish name calling? :rofl::rofl:

They showed the Offaly v Limerick 1994 final last week. Hadn’t seen it in years. It was some laugh watching that last 5 or 6 minutes again.

3 Likes

I’m amazed you didn’t take the opportunity to tell us about the time the fat bastard fell on your leg an made shit of it. Or was that a different Big Joe?

Limerick were very unfortunate to meet the most skillful hurling team of all time.

That was the same big Joe.

1 Like

Jim Troy was a fine cut of a man by 1994.

Pat Canavan was motm in that match.

Talty is retired from teaching and now works on reception in the GAA sports campus in Abbotstown. A gentleman off the field. On the field or the sideline, not so much.

John was no slip of a lad either but he was a magician. Those lads were so talented, fitness was completely unnecessary.

1 Like

Talty did more for underage football in Dublin than most ex Dublin players . He did huge work with planning and coaching .

That’s true. He’s a great bit of stuff.

He also clattered opposition managers, opposition players and referees on a regular basis. He was suspended more often than Dermot Connolly.

Don’t go drinking with the Troy’s as they used to say.

John Troy’s favourite poem as a youngster was “No Second Troy” by Yeats. He used it as personal motivation as an imaginary jibe that he wouldn’t make it to inter-county hurling.

Now the phrase is used to describe the amount of time he takes to knock back a pint, although it was also equally relevant to all Offaly players when that team were in their pomp.

Did John or Jim marry a Helen ?

1 Like

Be class if a man with the surname Troy married a woman with the surname McClure. The engagement announcement in the Irish Times would look splendid.

Has there ever been a Troy who trained horses?

1 Like

Troy won the 1979 Epsom Derby:

I did actually know this but it slipped my mind.

Lester Piggott on board?

Willie Carson

I could tell you Carson’s other two (?) Derby winners and every winner from 1984 to around 1997 but I haven’t a clue after that.

Sorry, I shouldn’t have spoken to you like that. It was a bit tongue in cheek to contextualise the debate topic but poorly done on my behalf.

1 Like

Yeah hilarious

1 Like