All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Great point - Niall Ronan was a considerable loss to Cork Hurling.

Now he’s after bringing Kevin Hartnett on for Jerry O’Connor… :mellow:

Nice one puke enjoyed that

andrew o shaughnessy gave Kevin Dilleen ( i think) a roasting that day

Hard to know how you distinguished him from the rest of the crowd in there from that description

1993 Leinster Final between Kilkenny and Wexford supposedly coming up on TG4

1988 hurling final on now. Didn’t know this was back.

A last minute stand in for one of the NHL quarter finals they thought they would be showing I’d say.

Good to see it back. Not a ruck in sight!

They showed the entire of the 1982 football final there on eirsport 1, just now. One of the storied All Ireland finals, it featured 10 minutes of exquisite football in the first half but the rest of it was of a horrible standard albeit not helped by the rain that fell in the second half.

What I didn’t remember was how the referee brought Offaly back into the game with three very “handy” frees from the 60-69 minutes when they were gassed and weren’t going to score a point from play in a month of Sundays

From my memory the two close in frees immediately before the goal were laughable, especially one where Sean Lowry just fell over.

Still, nobody ever lost any sleep over Kerry having poor decisions given against them. A victimless crime.

3 Likes

There were actually three laughable ones to my eye. The Lowry one was one of them. The referee was playing even it up after giving Kerry a penalty of the soft variety.

As an aside Michael O Hehir was a much worse commentator than Ger Canning.

Micheal O’Hehir was in his sixties at that stage though. It took him a long time to get as bad as Ger Canning has been for decades.

1 Like

Watched the second half of this last night and totally agree. The Kerry folk have done enough moaning down the years about Darby’s alleged push but the soft frees were far worse in my book. There was also an occasion after one of the soft frees when the Offaly full forward came in and completely took out Paidi O’Se I think and the ref completely ignored it :joy:

1 Like

That was a very very wet day .

It was a quality push in the back to be fair.

The Lar Corbett final on eirsport1 now.

Lar made pure shit of Noel Hickey for the first goal.

Henry hobbling off here.

I had forgotten that Mr Wadding had got the gig that day. Was that his last year Fagan?

Yes. Cody prevented him from reffing any KK games after that and that was the end of Micky as a top flight referee.

1 Like

Remind me again, what were Cody’s refereeing grievances on the day? I’ve never watched back that 2010 final.