All Ireland Hurling Final 2020 Limerick v Waterford - the * All Ireland

Yes

Limerick and Tipperary have a healthy rivalry

1 Like

It’s Pat Stakelum.

He captained the 1949 Tipperary All Ireland team because Holycross had won the county the previous year.

1 Like

It should be a good game, Waterford to their credit have been very consistent this year and have rode out their couple of bad patches in the Limerick, Clare and Kilkenny games fairly well. You would be confident enough that with the momentum they have and the low key build up that they will bring another big performance. Whether that would be enough is another question, you would feel they would need a good deal of the breaks to fall their way on the day to win.

Ya I remember my grand father and his brothers talk about him and Tony wall maybe.

I think Limerick will win it. They are such a strong unit that, even when they’re not firing on all cylinders, they still largely control games and play them on their terms. They usually create more chances than their opponents and take enough of them. I think they only have one selection issue now for the final. Any concerns about Barry Nash or whether Kyle Hayes should revert to the half forward line have been settled. I reckon it’s just a matter of picking 3 from 4 full forward line options. I’d say they might remain unchanged, assuming Gilliane is okay. Peter Casey is very good at that impact sub role. He doesn’t just stand inside; his starting position is usually around 30 yards out outside the D and he works over and back and gets on the shoulder of players to take passes and get shots off. He’s usually very involved when he comes on and the game is broken.

Waterford have impressed me a lot. I think they will present a big challenge but I don’t see them being able to run through that Limerick half back line, which seems to be a big part of their game. Conor Whelan started to get a bit of joy late on yesterday when he moved out, but Limerick reacted quickly to it. They have the option to bring O’Loughlin in, move either wing back into the centre or just get O’Donoghue to sit more. Finn is probably the best tight marking corner back in the game and I think Hutchinson will find it hard to get space. It goes without saying they’ll need Bennett to keep up his form, but again he’s operating in an area where Limerick are strongest. I also don’t think they have someone to limit Hegarty’s influence - Kevin Moran doesn’t have the legs for it anymore. Conor Gleeson might be an option, as he’s versatile enough.

Overall, I think Limerick’s half back line-midfield-half forward line axis will again give them the control and platform to win by 5 or 6. Something like 2-26 to 1-23.

8 Likes

That is an astute point about hegarty. He will be a big issue for Waterford. Could they switch wing backs?

Reading that just ruined my day.

1 Like

I suppose there’s nothing to stop them from doing that.

Any thoughts on English starting the next day?

Pirlo a Deise or Limerick fan?

It would be madness to start him.

1 Like

Fuck 'em @Fagan_ODowd. Enjoy the build up. Limerick and Waterford dont get many days in the sun. We have to take them and enjoy them while we can

Yes, but that would probably see Tom Morrissey even more involved. I think it’s very hard to get the better of this Limerick collective. Apologies @Fagan_ODowd.

1 Like

I would doubt it. Handy sub in case of an injury to any of the starters though.

Good news that extended panel members will be allowed attend the final.

4 Likes

They have to sit in the Upper Deck.

1 Like

They will want the thermals on them up there in December.

Used to be perishing up there for the Rugby

JP is providing sheepskin jackets to Limerick’s extended panel members

2 Likes