Allianz National Hurling League 2023

Will the Tooreen lads be back for Mayo this weekend in their Hurling opener?

They’d hardly be able to field a team without them

I would expect a stronger showing from Limerick this year. A few of Kielys interviews referenced them being very undercooked for the league last year and it took them a long time to really get flowing in the championship, I’m not sure they really ever did. With the winter break this year I’d expect them to be back at it earlier. That said I expect he will use it to try lads out and won’t give a fuck about winning.

But the hurling league is a joke really, half the teams won’t be trying a leg, some of them will be very experimental and completely different from week to week.

That said, Davy will be flat out for it.

3 Likes

It’s a real pity they’ve tweaked the league system. It was grand the way it was, if you were in 1A you were there on merit and if you were in 1B you were there on merit. Promotion and relegation was earned and merited.

Now you’ll have a lot of disinterested and half arsed teams just getting the games out of the way.

8 Likes

Hah true

Ironically enough, the current system was proposed by Limerick.

Yes, don’t think last year’s league performances were by design in any shape and will surely be improved this year. Highly unlikely Kiely has any interest in winning the league though as you say, Limerick at 15/8 just seems wrong.

I wouldn’t go near them at that price.

You would think the teams with new managers will be making a bigger tilt at it than Limerick, Galway, Clare or Wexford.

Davy and Cahill will have their teams hopping off the ground

I tninks its the timing rather than the system. With such a short run in between the end of the league and start of the championship, teams are not willing to give it a fair effort

Davy has no interest in the league this year. Tipp will walk it.

Cahill is a serious league manager. Advantage Tipp.

This is it in a nutshell.

The all new hurling league, brought to you by Adare Manor and SwissAir.

1 Like

'Tis only LĂĄ 'le BrĂ­de, kid. Keep the sword in the scabbard til we meet ye around June or July. The league is worthless.

The people of Tipperary demand a league title

You can’t underestimate the confidence boost that winning the league could bring to a county like Tipp.

First round of the championship is two weeks after the league final, Kilkenny have Westmeath first up so probably best placed to go for it if they find themselves in a semi-final.

They fit the bill for new manager wanting to make an impression also obviously.

1 Like

If Tipp win a league title and get any win in Munster it will have been a very good year.

There’s lads crawling into the long grass left and right already.