Astronomy and Space related matters thread

Infinity and time also. We can’t conceive of the concept that time as we know it, didn’t exist. We have this suffocating need to have an answer, to explain it, when there may not be an explanation at all.

It’s likely there is an explanation, whether it will ever be understood by humans is an entirely different question. We have already encountered aspects of reality, such as QM, that we have no explanation for that makes any sense. It will probably only get worse as we learn more.

space time is unreal

1 Like

It literally is (unreal). In physical reality, as in the stuff we can measure, there is no such thing as space time. Space time is purely mathematical, something we came up with, and may or may not relate to something real.

2 Likes

Time doesn’t exist.

Good doco summarising the Cassini mission here. Prof Alan Duffy is a Nordie teaching in one of the Universities here.

1 Like

Watching back here wonders of the solar system and the water that was on mars, great show

1 Like

I sat on the wall outside there and looked up at the sky for about 15 minutes. Its pretty vast alright.

I remember learning about the solar system as a kid and being completely floored at the concept of how irrelevant we are in the grander scheme of things.

No harm to look up every now and then and keep that in mind.

2 Likes

It’s pretty humbling when you consider we can only see about 5,000 stars with the naked eye, of the 100 billion stars in the Milky Way. That’s just one galaxy, and there are at least 100 billion of them and probably a lot more. We can faintly make our Andromeda with the naked eye as a small blob.

The Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies are expected to collide in 4.5 billion years :fearful:

1 Like

And all these solar systems & billions of stars maybe orbiting black holes, what happens after that?

A supermassive blackhole?

Either nothing or everything you can possibly imagine. Whichever you prefer.

Spark up there mate and come back to us tomorrow with your conclusion.

You know the way like bacteria exists man and there’s like billions of them in a tiny spot. Well what if our entire universe is just like you know the equivalent of someone else’s bacteria? Like we are just a speck of dirt to some other life form and the entire life span of our universe is like just a tiny amount of time in theirs and empires have risen and fallen in our world while nano seconds have passed in theirs :thinking:

1 Like

Bullit points mate? Infinite if we are to believe in maths

:open_mouth:
I had a post expressing a very similar thought half written but then deleted it because I couldn’t get my point across.

I often wonder about it.

1 Like

I have thought similar on many occasions.

We don’t know what goes beyond black holes

@Tassotti does.

10 Likes