Australian Open Tennis

ClarkeyCat was in Melbourne Park today and watched Andy Murray stroll into round two. He also saw Bec Cartwright and confirms she was looking splendid. I don’t think there’s been any major shocks yet.

Hewitt is out.
Maybe not a shock but definitely a disapointment for the home crowd.

[quote=“chrish”]Hewitt is out.
Maybe not a shock but definitely a disapointment for the home crowd.[/quote]

Not massively. There wasn’t much of a crowd behind him tbh. A few pockets of fans making a din but as one of my pals said to me, if it was an Irish player playing in Ireland it would’ve been 100 times louder. Great match though. Probably as manay Chile fans as Hewitt fans so good atmosphere/banter.

Took a wander around yesterday and had the pleasure of seeing Daniela Hantuchova practising in a white sports bra and pink spandex hot pants. Mother of jaysus lads!

That was followed up by standing 3 feet away fom Bec Cartwright in the queue to Centre Court. Equidistant from me was Judy Murray. Bec was sporting a pink vest type top and her hair was almost platinum blonde. She was very good natured when approached by a fan for a photograph. Clarkey was shaking like a leaf and speechless so just texy Bandage and a couple of other mates while stealing furtive glances.

Live tennis is very enjoyable. Temperatures reached 40 degrees afaik.

Another solid performance from Murray today, winning in straight sets against Granollers…He will play Jurgen Melzer in the third round

anyone know what time federer and safin is on ?

Andy Murray eased through his second round match today. He plays Austria’s Jurgen Melzer next - Muzza beat him in 5 sets in the US Open last year after being 2 sets down.

I can safely state that most Australian people I know think Hewitts a prick, which is of course correct.

Tennis though, big yawn (apart from certain female players)

Smashing stuff at the tennis today as the Serb and Bosnian supporters started a riot after the Djokovic/Delic match. Such riots based on ethnic background have been a regular feature in the Australian Open in recent years - you don’t get that at Wimbledon.

Federer eased past Safin and will play Thomas Berdych next.

Won’t Somebody Please Think Of The Children?

1 minute in and some randomer in a Celtic shirt strolls by with a beer wondering what all the fuss is about:

[ame="
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvvYLPCP_oA
]YouTube - Novak Djokovic vs Amer Delik Australian open. Fan fight after match. !![/ame]

I read it was one lad who decked another in a boozer after it. Hardly a riot bandage, but then you were never one for the overstatement eh :wink:

Check out the video Sledge. I’ve never witnessed scenes quite like it. :slight_smile:

Andy Murray knocked out this morning.

Safina is a beast.

That is all.

Gutted about Muzza.

Fair play to Verdasco, anyone see any of it? First proper upset in the mens really. Roddick - Djokovic is going to be a proper match hopefully, could do with a couple more exciting 5 setters between now and Sunday. Hopefully I’ll see a bit of it this week anyway, with having some time off work.

Roddick is hopeless, boring and one-dimsional. Djokovic will move him around the court and will only need 4 sets at the most.

Seems to be a cracking atmosphere at the Australian. The Greek-Cypriots were out in force for Bagdhatis and then you’ve the Serbs. Bosnians and Croats going nuts for various players too.

[quote=“Bandage”]Roddick is hopeless, boring and one-dimsional. Djokovic will move him around the court and will only need 4 sets at the most.

Seems to be a cracking atmosphere at the Australian. The Greek-Cypriots were out in force for Bagdhatis and then you’ve the Serbs. Bosnians and Croats going nuts for various players too.[/quote]

Not sure it will be that easy although I have backed Djokovic outright so maybe I’m being paranoid. When Roddick is in the company of any of the top 3, he can look one dimensional I suppose, but that’s probably more to do with them not really having any blatant weaknesses. I don’t think he’ll mind being “moved around the court” for the sake of it, but if Djokovic is going to be hitting un-returnable ground strokes every second point well then that obviously won’t do his chances of taking it to 5 any good.

Djokovic not looking too hot at the moment. Saw Roddick live on the opening day and he’s horrible to watch but I like him as a character. Hope he wins.

I am now head over heels in love with Jelena Dokic. I’d like that put on TFK record.

Djokovic retired sick in the 4th set when 2-1 sets down. Think the heat got to him