Aviation Disasters

Jaysus they just flew into it so :cry: Would explain the no mayday etc

Ya, the astute air accident investigators here called it from the start. Prime Time saying they believe the software was never updated (not the the rock was new, but it may have been caught in later updates).

There is still the question as to why they were flying that low so far from the landing site

Just can’t be possible they flew into it. To be flying that low & not see a lighthouse beam is not plausible.

1 Like

Cloud was 300ft, they had possibly just dropped below it. Apparently the rotation on that lighthouse takes some thing like 14 seconds. 14 seconds is a long time in a helicopter.

1 Like

Prime time were in touch with me to get the low down, excuse the pun

How could there be no obvious damage done to the lighthouse after getting hit by a helicopter, hard to imagine it didn’t knock a fair chunk off it.
Terribly sad.
Was the other captain on board also a pilot, just out of interest.

Have you seen it? It’s a giant fucking rock (300ft) with a tiny light house on the top.

They didn’t hit the lighthouse, they hit the rock that’s it’s situated on. It would appear that they saw it at the last moment and tried to take evasive action but the tail section hit the rock and was torn off, the rest of the helicopter travelled a short distance into the sea. Still no explanation about why all the locating beacons on board didn’t work.

Thanks, I obviously had it in my head that it was the lighthouse they hit.

Yeah like the Russians are going to expose themselves this easily. It looks like another successful mission for them.

1 Like

IT to blame. Enough said.

About 1. 25 kilometers at top speed, but the beam has a visibility of 18 km so they should have seen it 14 times

Not if they were descending through cloud from above it

Why descend to sub 300 feet some 13km from refuelling site at Blacksod?

Iirc all the crew train up in each other’s disciplines in case of one crew member getting injured etc, so they’re all trained pilots essentially.

This is the main thing that needs to be answered.

And if they believed they were much closer why were they travelling at speed?

Tá an bosca dubh faighte, buíochas le Dia.

1 Like

has the transponder been found yet? that would give a bit more insight into whether it was hit by something

1 Like

Chonaic me chapall sa speir are maidin.

2 Likes