Aviation Thread (https://www.reforestnation.ie/offset-your-carbon)

:rolleyes:

Not being from the aviation heartland of Ireland you don’t have a clue

Not being from the aviation heartland of Ireland you don’t have a clue[/QUOTE]
Galway doesn’t even have an airport.

They’ll never get to host an All Ireland semi final so.

Does the sale of the govt sale in Aer Lingus merit any discussion?

Apologies if the lads are discussing it in the North Dublin thread but its so fucking boring I had to leave it

Aer Lingus to be sold.

The silence of the North Dublin aviation clique on this subject is sickening.

In the medium term Dublin probably ends up as a hub for transatlantic flights and flying many other places from Dublin will mean having to use Heathrow as a hub

Well Aer Lingus with increased transatlantic for long haul west with Emirates/Ethiad for long haul East/South and a decent short-haul network seems like a pretty good offering to me.

Are Fine Gael selling just to boost coffers for the upcoming Election campaign? How are Labour agreeing to this regardless?

All of which would be of significant value for the State if we kept the airline. But it’s of fairly limited value if the revenue is going elsewhere. It’s a bit like Intel announcing a new chip - great news for Intel and its owners, not all that exciting for the country’s finances.

One thing we can be certain of is that London - Dublin prices are going up.

It’s fuck all in the greater scheme of things though a few hundred million. Allow a few tokenistic gestures but nothing of substance.

It’s value seemed to have been more strategic than financial. Key concern was loss of routes which makes Ireland a harder place for foreigners to do international business in and from.

I wonder if there are concerns being raised on an International Business Travel thread on some of tfk’s contemporaries around the globe.

Yeah - but is the benefit in some notional future dividend which will most likely be lessened by politically driven sweet-heart employee deals or in the actual increased travel connectivity with the resulting economic benefits.

Guys, I was initially looking at the Aer Lingus sale from the perspective of its impact on international business travellers. But surely it’s daft for the State to sell off the national airline for numerous reasons, none more so than our status as a fucking island nation. I’ve seen what the demise of Cyprus Airways has done to my Cypriot friends but that was an actual financial collapse. This is wilfully selling it off.

And what worth are these guarantees about retaining Heathrow slots? Some opposition TDs say they’re verbal and worthless and the Labour chap in Clare wasn’t satisfied with them either. Has anyone read about it in depth? Surely the experience of the banking collapse as recently as 2008 should ensure that a few words of reassurance and promises can’t be relied upon. There must be clear legal protections in any sale and it shouldn’t be rushed through. Seems like sheer madness to me.

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 1150620, member: 9”]Guys, I was initially looking at the Aer Lingus sale from the perspective of its impact on international business travellers. But surely it’s daft for the State to sell off the national airline for numerous reasons, none more so than our status as a fucking island nation. I’ve seen what the demise of Cyprus Airways has done to my Cypriot friends but that was an actual financial collapse. This is wilfully selling it off.

And what worth are these guarantees about retaining Heathrow slots? Some opposition TDs say they’re verbal and worthless and the Labour chap in Clare wasn’t satisfied with them either. Has anyone read about it in depth? Surely the experience of the banking collapse as recently as 2008 should ensure that a few words of reassurance and promises can’t be relied upon. There must be clear legal protections in any sale and it shouldn’t be rushed through. Seems like sheer madness to me.[/QUOTE]

The Government are to be given a B share in Aer Lingus that will have veto rights over the slots.
From what I’ve heard of the debate some of the more simple TD’s couldn’t grasp the concept at all, to the point of complete misunderstanding.
Some of the more intelligent ones raised the issue that without a vote on the board due to their lack of an A shareholding they wouldn’t be able to prevent a board resolution which could nullify the power of the aforementioned B share or issue two more B shares and out vote them. The second point is a shrewd observation though I’m sure company by-laws could be enacted that would prevent same.
Overall it’s a good move for Aer Lingus, but a bad move for Irish consumer price wise, though we may ultimately benefit from access to a wider network of direct flights.

[QUOTE=“Julio Geordio, post: 1150636, member: 332”]The Government are to be given a B share in Aer Lingus that will have veto rights over the slots.
From what I’ve heard of the debate some of the more simple TD’s couldn’t grasp the concept at all, to the point of complete misunderstanding.
Some of the more intelligent ones raised the issue that without a vote on the board due to their lack of an A shareholding they wouldn’t be able to prevent a board resolution which could nullify the power of the aforementioned B share or issue two more B shares and out vote them. The second point is a shrewd observation though I’m sure company by-laws could be enacted that would prevent same.
Overall it’s a good move for Aer Lingus, but a bad move for Irish consumer price wise, though we may ultimately benefit from access to a wider network of direct flights.[/QUOTE]
When you think about how the government have run away from imposing anything on the banks (when they hold an awful lot more than one B share) it’s scary to think how reluctant they will be to intervene. I can already picture Enda explaining to the public in a year that the government won’t be intervening in the strategic decisions of Aer Lingus because that would send the wrong message to new entrants to the Irish aviation market and sure hasn’t the world moved on a bit since the frightful economic scare that started all this in the first place and really FF are to blame, but if you want to know where the real bodies are buried just ask Gerry…

The government had a similar stake in Irish Life & Permanent for years. Then they gave it back voluntarily because they were afraid to do anything with it. Then the bank went haywire.

The government has a similar share structure with Greencore, and here’s the former Minister running away from responsibilities. Now, I don’t think she should necessarily intervene in this context but the soundbite is familiar.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/i-cannot-tell-greencore-what-to-do-coughlan-1.410014

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 1150645, member: 1”]. I can already picture Enda explaining to the public in a year that the government won’t be intervening in the strategic decisions of Aer Lingus because that would send the wrong message to new entrants to the Irish aviation market and sure hasn’t the world moved on a bit since the frightful economic scare that started all this in the first place and really FF are to blame, but if you want to know where the real bodies are buried just ask Gerry…
[/QUOTE]
i dont know why because all the FG chickens are coming home to roost in the run up to the next GE

Serious hijinx in Abbeyshrule yesterday.
Some great footage of it. The pilot was arrested this evening.

You wouldn’t park a bike where the fucker was trying to land that yoke, it was always going to end badly

1 Like