Ballina, Co. Tipp

acn’t speak for every individual involved and what their beef is rocko all i can talk about is what people have said to me…the main one being the way the council have gone about the purchase of this house…

[quote=“therock67”]
The guys on the radio this morning even said that they’ve no problem with “this particular” traveller family. So what is the problem then? [/quote]

They are worried about the safety of the traveller kids on a busy road!

Its not racism really; its Snobbery, or as I like to call it “a dose of the Avril Doyle’s” and the remark about the office girl above is no different to the remarks voxpoxed on the radio.

I’m all for live and let live; and from experience “nice” neighbours as in “people like us” don’t make good neighbours. I lived in the South Inner City for 10 yrs; when I bought the house originally the area was run by “concerned parents” aka Shinners & IRA. But the only trouble I ever had was when it became more gentrified and new cars started appearing; I think ye get the gist.

Anyway, all the above reminds me of a story from Galway. A traveller family lived at the end of a lane way close to the city; a caravan and a couple of horses but they kept to themselves, kept the site tidy and their kids went to school.

One-off Houses started to appear on the lane, you know the type, 4 bed detached, parking for 2 cars; space for a pony. Anyway, one sold on and the family that bought it started to complain to the Council about the family at the end of the lane, which had now extended into two caravans. The new neighbours used the law and eventually the Council were ordered to shift the travellers. What did they do?

The Council bought the houses on either side of the newbies and housed the travellers there. Even tarmac’ed the driveways for the caravans and fenced in the gardens for the horsies.

The Council were also ordered to secure the original travellers site; so they obstructed its entrance with boulders and bollards; and within a year it was a flytippers paradise. So to maintain the site the council eventually used the site for a recycling depot and filled it with the appropriate skip/ recepticals (?);

and along the boundry wall of the original protaganists property : a total of 14bottlebanks.

What is your point?

As Rock clearly pointed out - it is racism. Not snobbery, not anything else, just racism. In fairness to Carter he has said that he is racist in this manner and I guess that is his choice…

To compare my quip about the office girl to downright discrimination against people based on their culture shows you up to be the idiot you are…

Not you will probably reply with some encrypted coded message tring to be smart but I make a plea to you now - speak English…

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]What is your point?

As Rock clearly pointed out - it is racism. Not snobbery, not anything else, just racism. In fairness to Carter he has said that he is racist in this manner and I guess that is his choice…

To compare my quip about the office girl to downright discrimination against people based on their culture shows you up to be the idiot you are…

Not you will probably reply with some encrypted coded message tring to be smart but I make a plea to you now - speak English…[/quote]

It is snobbery. These complainants are trying to pick their neighbours based on class, not on cultural/ ethnic differences or suitability.

Futhermore; I didn’t know it was you that made the remark about the office girl. I just read the posts’ content.

If Carter wants to say he is a racist then thats his business, as I too am a racist. But I’m not a snob.

[quote=“Mairegangaire”]It is snobbery. These complainants are trying to pick their neighbours based on class, not on cultural/ ethnic differences or suitability.

Futhermore; I didn’t know it was you that made the remark about the office girl. I just read the posts’ content.

If Carter wants to say he is a racist then thats his business, as I too am a racist. But I’m not a snob.[/quote]

First point simply makes no sense. What you are more or less saying (I think) is that you don’t recognise the traveller culture as being a culture. They are just like us but just a lower class hence removing the racism element and making this a case of snobbery. What a load of rubbish.

Irrelevant who posted it. It was still a stupid thing for you to say.

I am not going to even try and figure the third point out.

Lads, you are missing one of the points here. The house in question was for sale with a number of agents. It was purchased for over the asking price from the most expensive agent when property prices are falling everywhere. It is a prime example of a council spending more than required because they are not accountable.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]First point simply makes no sense. What you are more or less saying (I think) is that you don’t recognise the traveller culture as being a culture. They are just like us but just a lower class hence removing the racism element and making this a case of snobbery. What a load of rubbish.

Irrelevant who posted it. It was still a stupid thing for you to say.

I am not going to even try and figure the third point out.[/quote]

Jesus Farmer you make feel like I’m kicking a cripple.

Firstly, that’s 1, one or (i)
I made no comment about culture. The quoted remarks from the radio voxpox refer to residents objecting to the Council buying the house, they say they don’t object to who lives there, but what I’m hearing is that the house is now a council house; THATS SNOBBERY; and that IS MY OPINION.

Secondly, that’s 2, two or (ii)
“Irrelevant who posted it. It was still a stupid thing for you to say.”
a retort that is worthy of Hitchens (Christopher Hitchens, one of the worlds highest paid journalists)
oh and I’m being ironic btw (thats By-The-Way)

Thirdly, that’s 3, three or (iii)
What’s to figure out; you said that Dan said he was a racist, so what, thats his problem. I’m admitting to being one too; and again thats my business. I am not a snob. What exactly could you not understand in that line.

Thats sounds a bit flaky to me, tell what’s even flakier; the vendor not knowing who was purchasing the house.

Listen that was one of the arguments alright but it’s completely undermined by:
a) the spurious nonsense about health and safety
http://www.thefreekick.com/board/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif the fact that they often referred to the travellers getting the house - their ethnicity should have zero relevance
c) the fact that they protested outside the house and not at the council offices.

If this was a genuine protest about government inefficiencies then I’d have no problem supporting it but the protestors should be told about that first because some of them think they’re there on health and safety grounds!

The reality is they don’t want travellers living there and that was obvious from the interviews today despite their ridiculous efforts to come up with other theories.

Years ago starting off in my working career I went for a job in sales. It was to do with dealing with people from all around Europe. The owner was one of the interviewee’s and asked me if I had a problem with any race in Europe. I knew the fucker was out of order with this question, might have been trying to shake me, see how I’d react. I answered him by saying we’re all racists. The other person interviewing me had a look of shock on her face, but I when asked to back up this I said simple; a group of travellers move in with their caravans on your road/street, what are your first thoughts…

I was offered the job

True Locke…

I don’t think, hand on heart, there is a person out there who thinks differently (even Rock probably)…

But don’t try to dress it up as being anything else but racism…

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]True Locke…

I don’t think, hand on heart, there is a person out there who thinks differently (even Rock probably)…

But don’t try to dress it up as being anything else but racism…[/quote]

I recall going to see a gaff a few months ago in a nice part of Fingal. Went to have a look at it on a Sunday to see what the place was like and there was a traveller selling stuff from the back of his van from his driveway in the gaff backing onto the place I was looking at.

My da gave me some look because he reckons I’m all talk in this regard and he was dying for me to say something negative about the area. I didn’t of course, gaff never worked out but that was for other reasons.

I do place emphasis on what your neighbours are like though. I had a right prick beside me in recent years with solicitors letters and stuff like that going back and forward and it was all a bit nasty. But he wasn’t a traveller. And there was no way of knowing what an arsehole he’d be from looking at him.

I’d be pissed off alright if I got neighbours that were pricks but all the talk is that these are a nice family anyway so what’s the problem? The problem for these residents is the label I’m afraid.

The Wexford Senior Hurling panel this season contained a traveller, a protestant and a criminal.

I think that’s enough boxes ticked so I’m off to the GAA Offices in Wexford Park with protest placards later on.

[quote=“Bandage”]The Wexford Senior Hurling panel this season contained a traveller, a protestant and a criminal.

I think that’s enough boxes ticked so I’m off to the GAA Offices in Wexford Park with protest placards later on.[/quote]

Who are they Bandage. Redmond Barry is on the football panel, what’s the Gaelic for Redmond?

Isn’t David O’Connor a traveller?

Pretty sure Wille Doran has some kind of a police record as well (and I don’t mean ‘Every Step You Take’)…

Great thread. Getting to the nitty gritty of people’s views. I like to think I’m not racist but there’s a bit of it in all of us. I’m not mad on travellers since I worked down the local Statoil and they used to rob the place blind. On the other hand the traveller who knocked to our house for years was sound.
-Famer looking down(hoo hoo) on ‘office girls’ is idiotic. Suggesting it was a quip is absurd.
-I would think twice about buying a gaffe next to a halting site.
-Rock is a serious racist when it comes to fans of that Rangers club.
-I don’t like Israel, or Israelis really. Nothing against Jews, I’ve worked and lived with them but I don’t like Israel.
-Puke’s bottling of giving his opinion-‘I’m only saying what’s been said…’ is fitting for his current status.
Fingal had the second highest concentration of travellers in the country a few years ago(Tuam was highest) not sure of the stats now.
-Suprised Flano hasn’t had his say on this thread…

wouldn’t say i am bottling giving my opinion but seeing as i only live a few miles down the road from this and know all involved in this personally i am mearly passing on the first hand information i have…i know the sellers of the house very well and they are very upset with the way the whole matter has been handled…

wouldn’t say i particularly care what happens here…charlie is a sound enough skin and the haulting site is a fair eye sore but i would have a lot of sympathy for the residents that have paid big money for a house for this to happen…

I don’t consider travellers to be an ethnic group and I don’t consider them to be victims of racism. It certainly is snobbery alright. The bottom line is that they should be treated the same as the rest of society and be expected to conform to the same type of standards as the majority of society as a whole adhere to. That also means they should be given the same oppurtunities as the rest of society.

[quote=“Bandage”]The Wexford Senior Hurling panel this season contained a traveller, a protestant and a criminal.

I think that’s enough boxes ticked so I’m off to the GAA Offices in Wexford Park with protest placards later on.[/quote]

DOC, Willie Doran and Jim Berry is it?