Baseball

salt of the earth Fitzy.

Mind that famous temper now:D:D:D

[quote=ā€œMacā€]Think youā€™ve pulled there Gman[/quote]nah, youā€™re grand. one aussie is enough for me.

dont know how fitzy knows what I look like. Might be as bad a stalker as Mac is.

and pikeman, Iā€™m not sure myself. Like you, I put the ā€˜manā€™ at the end of the username to reassure myself.

Follow this on and off since my J1 summer days when we used to buy a box of Natural Ice or Mad/Red Dog and get pissed watching the Red Sox. Watched the full game two at the weekend which now seems to be the pivotal game given theyā€™ve lost the next two since dropping that one in extra innings.

It was a wild fooking game with Beckett for the Sox and their opening pitcher getting absolutely destroyed. I didnā€™t expect the Red Sox to get so scarred mentally from it though and I thought theyā€™d be strong for the 3 game run in Boston. But now they have to win tonight to stay in the series.

For me, I need to be having a few cans watching baseball! I like American Football a lot and am intrigued by both the offensive and defensive formations and tactics on different down, when to run and pass, blitz or drop deep etc. so I stay with the Gridiron right through a game.

But if itā€™s a pitching duel in baseball and itā€™s game of swings and misses and some team wins 2-1 after only 4 or 5 hits in the whole game then I can find it a bit of a struggle without alcohol! Thereā€™s one lad I used to work with whoā€™s absolutely fanatical about the Red Sox and organised his job so he could get a transfer to Boston for 2 years. Heā€™s in visibly bad form if one of the players gets injured and was fuming for weeks over Damon going to the Yankees. Bit of a simpleton now that I think about it.

[quote=ā€œtipptops*ā€]salt of the earth Fitzy.

Mind that famous temper now:D:D:D[/quote]

I feel very calm at the moment tt. Hows the schizophrenia treatment going?

Boys and girls, have you seen what the Red Sox did last night? It could be like the comeback in 2004 against the Yankees. 7-0 down in the 7th inning and the series all but over but they rallied with a 3 run homer by Ortiz, who ended a massive run of bad form, and then a 2 run homer by JD Drew in the 8th followed by a few hits in the last inning to drive in the winning runs. Mad stuff. 'Mon the Red Sox.

Just read about it there. Some turnaround. 7-0 in the 7th would have a lot of people calling it and changing the channel. Whatā€™s the equivalent in soccer? 2 or 3-0 down 15 minutes to go?

fooker bandage, was waiting to watch it later on NASN. Just watched highlights there on MLB anyway, some finish. Fair al smack out of Papi, even tho the fooker had done nothing all series. Right time to bring out a homer tho. Theyā€™ll be in some form going down to Tampa now, but still its against them. As I said before, can never ever write them off. Its games like last nights one that keep me interested in baseball.

'Mon the Red Sox. Won 4-2 last night to tie the series 3-3 and take it to a deciding game tonight. Beckett had a much better evening pitching than last Saturday night and Youkilis and Varitek got home runs.

Christ the Red Sox are unbelievable, youā€™d have to think the momentum is with them now, god knows theyā€™ve been here before.

Incredible, would be fantastic if they did it.

well its all over for the red sox nation. 3-1 loss last night. I watched game 6 and they looked in some form, Varitek finally getting a run in and Youkalis doing damage too. Papi was even getting a few RBIā€™s in as well at last. Didnt see any of last nights game, but fair play to TB for getting the win. They must have been dreading it going to the last game, a case of here we go again for the red sox. Theyā€™ll fancy their chances now. 80-1 shots at the start of the year just to make the playoffs.

Damn you Devil Rays. Damn you.

Lads how boring would it be to go to a baseball match on your own? Iā€™d imagine very? Iā€™m in Chicago for a few days in May and will have a day on my own, Iā€™ve been to Chicago before and done most of the standard stuff so Iā€™m looking for a way to pass the day.

If youā€™ve never been to a ballpark itā€™s a must, on your own or not. Wrigley field is a beautiful old style park and Cubs fans arenā€™t the worst, the slow pace of the game means youā€™ll be unlucky not to fall into conversation with a few people whoā€™ll be charmed by your accent and being there alone.
I havenā€™t a clue about the white sox.

Itā€™d have to be a sox game as the cubs are away which is a pity. Iā€™ve heard of wrigpey field so the idea of that appealed to me more

Do you understand the game at all? Have you watched much of it?

Iā€™ve a vague understanding of the game. Iā€™m confident Iā€™d know the gist of it but it seems fairly boring to watch and Iā€™ve heard that from a few people whoā€™ve gone

Id say youā€™ll find it extremely boring so. My first game was in yankee Stadium with two other roasters, id been working with yanks all summer and had the game explained to me and started to enjoy it, the two lads hadnā€™t and wanted to leave after twenty minutes. And this was a warm summer night in a packed historic stadium. Id try it if i was you but dont expect your pulse to be racing (who are they playing? Is it a day or evening game?) if you really want to get into it learn how to score the game (record the plays using a simple system easily learned) you can buy a scorecard for a dollar and it makes it interesting, more so if you start following trends ie what pitches this pitcher trusts when heā€™s in trouble etc, but that might be a bit advanced. Id say take a tour of wrigley that morning, give the sox an hour of your time that evening, if nothing itā€™ll tick a sporting event box, dont spend any serious money on a ticket, youā€™ll get a bleachers or high up ticket for peanuts on stubhub or seatgeek

Might be worth doing the tour of Wrigley field? Was in Boston last week and went to a game and did the stadium tour another day. Game was pretty boring but really enjoyed the tour.

There is only one way to make it interesting and itā€™s green and it stinks

Like everything the more you understand the more enjoyable it is, you meet a more cerebral yank at games and can have a right chat. I went to a mariners game last September and sat beside a yank in his 60s,heā€™d worked as an engineer for boeing for thirty years, and was a youth baseball coach. Talked trump, health care, gun control, drug use and baseball tactics. Really interesting well spoken man. But its definitely not basketball or hockey where your on the edge of your seat, although the last few innings of a close game have that slow drip tension.

1 Like