Best Irish Sporting Moment

Sonia is the best Irish athlete of all time by a gillion miles objectively.

7 Likes

Could Adileke wind up Ireland’s best athlete ever?

She was so good that it became expected that she’d win gold at every major event she competed. Rhasidat is likely the only athlete that could ever come close to that in the next 10 years. It’s real once in a lifetime stuff.

Not enough privilege.

2 Likes

John Treacy always stood out watching it at the time as a young kid and how excited my folks got.

Roche winning the Tour De France was off the charts and unbelievable.

What she does next year without being flogged in spring by the NCAA’s will determine a lot of that. She has the potential and raw ability but needs a lot of luck with injuries.

1 Like

True, there’s proper depth in that game

McLoughlins goal to get us to the world cup in 1994.

2 Likes

We seem to have such an affinity with Olympic boxing medals. I think Carruth and McCullagh both fought in finals on the same morning which was epic as a young chap.

Olympic success is really the pinnacle in many of our eyes. And yet the rowers from Cork nearly go unrecognised. It’s a bit mad really

Its mad, and bar Andy Lee, none of our Olympians could crack an egg in the pros

Ken Egan could’ve made a lot of money as a pro if he could’ve kept himself on the straight and narrow. Would’ve been huge.

2 Likes

McCullagh made a good effort at it. Michael Conlon looked like he might for a while too. Did Bernard Dunne ever box in an Olympics? I can’t remember him if he did

1 Like

Why is it mad?

Boxing has a very long successful history in Ireland.

We were on holidays in Costa del Ballyheigue, the bar in the White Sands went bananas as he took the Ruskie with 200 to go, as a 9 year old it felt like a huge moment.

1 Like

Mad that the Cork lads barely get spoken about and are double Olympic Gold Medal winners (well only 1 of them is)

1 Like

I think he did and got a bad draw. Reading the boxing forums,theres a few lads reckon Conlan should’ve campaigned at super-bantamweight early and grabbed a title. Maybe he couldn’t make that I spose.

It’s not that mad. We produce technically accomplished points-scorers that do well at amateur level but having that stopping power for the pros is a different thing

With the headguards and super tippy tappy points scoring system gone, it will be interesting see does Ireland sustain the amateur success.

Yeah, completely different sports really now that you say it.

The technically accomplished bit is a bit debatable,there is nothing behind a lot of those punches and a lot of the hooks are a bit slappy. Grand for the amateurs, old compubox, on your bike, stealing rounds type technique.