Blackburn v Aston Villa - Carling Cup semi final first leg

Oh yes, Villa back in the big time. Who could ever forget the epic 3-0 victory of Leeds in Wembley in 1996 - Savo, Taylor and Yorke and even back in 1994 when we stopped the United treble. 3-1 - Dalian atkinson, Saunders with two. Great days, great players and they are back - live on Sky.

Martin O’Neill has made a massive error in team selection with Cuellar at right back ahead of Luke Young who is easily twice the player of that clown. Still we should finish it tonight. 2-0 to the Villa.

[quote=“KIB man”]Oh yes, Villa back in the big time. Who could ever forget the epic 3-0 victory of Leeds in Wembley in 1996 - Savo, Taylor and Yorke and even back in 1994 when we stopped the United treble. 3-1 - Dalian atkinson, Saunders with two. Great days, great players and they are back - live on Sky.

Martin O’Neill has made a massive error in team selection with Cuellar at right back ahead of Luke Young who is easily twice the player of that clown. Still we should finish it tonight. 2-0 to the Villa.[/QUOTE]

Ah thats quality from Milner. Tie should be over, Heskey was awful for his chance.

We are looking a bit dodgy at the back though. Guzan has came and missed a lot of balls already.

Blackburn are poxed to be still in the tie. Looked like a handball by Chimbonda at the end there plus certainly looked if there was contact with Gabby when he got booked for diving. Anyway we are playing well. In total control in midfield and out wide very dangerous. Would like to see Gabby more in the game but its been a good half.

heskey has missed three sitters. the two in the second half have been shocking. Blackburn having a good little spell now as Cuellar surprise surprise is getting exposed…

Rode our luck in that second half with Kalinic hitting the post twice but Villa were certainly the better side over the 90 mins. Had the chances to make the second leg a formality but 1-0 is probably fair. Dunne was imperious at the back, Downing had his best game for the club and Young was very dangerous. Stephen Reid came on for Blackburn who arent out of the tie yet.

Guzan 4 - very dodgy especially early on. Felt the defence dropped a bit deeper to protect him. Seems a bit slight at times but this wasnt a good outing.

Cuellar 4 - Alright in the first half but dire after the break. Positionally hopeless and criminal on the ball.

Collins 5 - Not as dominant as usual in the air. Kalinic had the measure of him in the aerial duels which is surprising. better after the break.

Dunne 8 - Imperious at the back. Calm on the ball too.

Warnock 6 - More prominent in the first half but was solid enough.

Young 8 - was always a threat tonight and showed great leadership in the second half. Took the wrong option a couple of times and probably should have scored. good deliveries and looked far more confident running with the ball.

Milner 7 - Great goal and was outstanding in the first half. Developing into a fine midfielder but lost his discipline a bit in the second half tearing forward.

Petrov 7 - Decent game from the Bulgarian. Used the ball well and always craved involvement.

Downing 8 - Was involved in most of Villa’s best play. Assured on the ball and created the goal.

Heskey 6 - Wasnt too bad on the ball and showed for it well but strikers are judged on goals and he had three glorious chances tonight and spurned the lot.

Gabby 5 - Very quiet tonight. Penalty shout going against him was harsh I felt. On a bit of a dry run at the moment and it showed at times.

Sub

Sidwell 5 - MON switched to 451 midway through the second half with Heskey making way. Wasnt very prominent in truth but midfield was certainly more solid upon his introduction.

This is very funny, KIB responding to his own posts.

Ah, I do it for Celtic games and other stuff.

I watched some of that game and Blackburn’s ‘method’ of playing football is disgusting. Villa seemed decent enough but I thought Petrov and Milner were better than the wide players. Dunne was very good all right. Tie should be over unless one of Blackburn’s aerial punts into the box leads to a scrambled first goal at Villa.

[quote=“Bandage”]Ah, I do it for Celtic games and other stuff.

I watched some of that game and Blackburn’s ‘method’ of playing football is disgusting. Villa seemed decent enough but I thought Petrov and Milner were better than the wide players. Dunne was very good all right. Tie should be over unless one of Blackburn’s aerial punts into the box leads to a scrambled first goal at Villa.[/QUOTE]

Blackburn could go down.

Hopefully, Big Sam is nothing more than a bluffer and a cunt

good few guests need to be kept informed.

Blackburn play some shocking stuff but were spirited in the second half. Kalinic looks a decent player and Dunn is clever. They have some clowns aswell particularly at the back but think they will stay up. Forgot to mention Villa were denied two stonewall penalties aswell.

We score the first goal at Villa Park and its over alright, still though missed a lot of good chances to kill it off tonight so Im a bit worried. I’m sickened though with O’Neill and his nonsensical fudging of dropping players. Cuellar is an average centre half and an awful right back. Luke Young has been flying on the right for Villa since his return and was dropped for no reason. God knows why Habib Beye was signed if O’Neill sees Cuellar as an alternative at right back. Predictably he was shit tonight.

bringing on Sidwell ahead of Reo Coker or Delph was surprising too.

How is Delph fairing this season KIB…Is O’Neill playing him cetrally or on the left

Started first game of the season centrally against Wigan in a 442 with Petrov. I didnt see the game but by all accounts he was hopeless. He has hardly played since but I thought was lively enough in his cameo against Arsenal and was supposed to have played well against Blackburn in the FA Cup game a few weeks ago.

Couldnt give a verdict on him at this stage. Seems quick with a good touch but certainly lacking in presence. What was he like at Leeds? MON doesnt really have much of an idea how to rotate the squad so Villa isnt really the kind of place to be sitting on the bench because you can be there for a long time.

[quote=“KIB man”]Started first game of the season centrally against Wigan in a 442 with Petrov. I didnt see the game but by all accounts he was hopeless. He has hardly played since but I thought was lively enough in his cameo against Arsenal and was supposed to have played well against Blackburn in the FA Cup game a few weeks ago.

Couldnt give a verdict on him at this stage. Seems quick with a good touch but certainly lacking in presence. What was he like at Leeds? MON doesnt really have much of an idea how to rotate the squad so Villa isnt really the kind of place to be sitting on the bench because you can be there for a long time.[/QUOTE]

He was decent enough, wouldn’t say he looked a 7 million pound player(or whatever it was) but he had a decent left foot on him and was well able to get about the pitch, seemed to have a bit of vision but the again if you couldn’t pick out a pass in league one you wouldn’t be at much…Wouldn’t say he was far superior to Johnny Howson who wouldn’t be much older although he was a better alround footballer than Howson…

Bizarre from O’Neill to persist with Cuellar at full back but that’s O’Neill for you. Celtic used to play with four centre halves under him sometimes. He’s just terribly conservative when he’s picking a defence but it makes the whole thing very shaky.

Cuellar is an extremely poor defender.

I remember as well O’Neill buying Frank Sinclair when he was manager of Leicester.

You ask yourself why on earth would a right minded person buy such a player?

Cuellar has only played a handfull of games at right full this season and from what I`m hearing Luke Young had a slight injury. Cuellar has prove this season that given run of games in his natural position he is a good centre half.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Cuellar is an extremely poor defender.

I remember as well O’Neill buying Frank Sinclair when he was manager of Leicester.

You ask yourself why on earth would a right minded person buy such a player?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t say he’s extremely poor, he’s average. Apart from the huns where he was comfortable but never outstanding I thought, he did play well in Osasuna’s UEFA Cup run. But he’s certainly not brilliant alright.

It was reported only a few weeks ago that Real Madrid were interested in Cuellar and that he was seen as an outside bet to make the Spanish world cup squad…Think it was SSN and probably needs to be taken with a kilo of salt

I saw him against Liverpool and thought he was very poor I must say.

Cuellar had done ok next to Dunne recently. Collins had been outstanding early in the season but got injured and has been on the bench lately. Collins and Dunne is the partnership but I often think MON feels sorry for players or whatever. Probably felt it was harsh on Cuellar dropping him so he found a place for him elsewhere. Dropping Luke Young for Cuellar is madness. In the modern game, you need to have full backs comfortable on the ball. Cuellar blatantly isnt, he ran the ball out of play a few times.