Blow for Limerick GAA

Kerry have a harty cup team for the first time this year but in reality they are still a long long way off the other 5 counties…

What would you term a “decent hurling match”?

[quote=“The Runt”]I was being sarcastic. It may come as a shock but not many GAA people would take being considering “most like Cork people” as a compliment.

What exactly are you basing “They don’t seem to making a huge effort either”.

There is massive work to be done in Limerick GAA, no one is denying that. We are currently in the first year of a new development structure, that while I’m not 100% supportive of, at least it is attempt to address the deficencies that exist.

In recent years they have got the likes of Eamonn Cregan and Shane Fitzgibbon in working at U/14 level and are starting from the bottom off. They have changed the structures of all under age competitions around the county and while it is probably going to be 2 or 3 years before any real signs of progress are made it’s wrong to say these issues aren’t being addressed.

To be honest I don’t see the relevance of a Kerry development team being sent to play in the Cork Minor league to Limerick hurling.[/quote]

Its nothing to do with the fact that its Cork, its to do with them trying to better themselves. It was a Limerick man, regulary discussed here in fact, that was informing me of the goings on. By his reackoning they have completely forgot about the 16-21’s. Its fine to start at U-14, but what abot the other guys. The Limerick Minor team next year is expected to be very weak, thats why i said about Kerry, i expect them to be good bit imropoved, considering their development teams are 16-17. This to me would be a dreadful indication of where Limerick is now or in the near future if they were to be weaker than a county with 7 or 8 hurling clubs in the whole county.

The feeling i got from some guys was that football, even with a smaller major catchment area, was better equiped to compete in the near future than hurling in Limerick. For a team that was quite recently in an All-Ireland and one of the best 4 or 5 teams for 15 odd years its worrying that it can happen so relatively quickly. Rugby may be having a good bash of it, but it can’t be the sole reason.

The All-Ireland Final this year, the league final this year possibly Galway-Killkenny this year.

Other than that the most enjoyable games i have watched in hurling have been at club level over the past 18 months. That included games in Tipp by the way.:rolleyes:

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]The All-Ireland Final this year, the league final this year possibly Galway-Killkenny this year.

[/quote]

Thats 3 matches - why did you say “more than 1 or 2” matches above?

And so does Limerick, Ard Scoil Ris.

Because i thought of one more, the league final, after my post.

Hes had a decent eneogh career in fairness without winning anything,there wasnt many better than him for Limerick in te 07 AI Final.

big difference between ard scoil and Kerry Colleges, Ard Scoil have been competing all the way up and won the Dean Ryan last year…

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]Its nothing to do with the fact that its Cork, its to do with them trying to better themselves. It was a Limerick man, regulary discussed here in fact, that was informing me of the goings on. By his reackoning they have completely forgot about the 16-21’s. Its fine to start at U-14, but what abot the other guys. The Limerick Minor team next year is expected to be very weak, thats why i said about Kerry, i expect them to be good bit imropoved, considering their development teams are 16-17. This to me would be a dreadful indication of where Limerick is now or in the near future if they were to be weaker than a county with 7 or 8 hurling clubs in the whole county.

The feeling i got from some guys was that football, even with a smaller major catchment area, was better equiped to compete in the near future than hurling in Limerick. For a team that was quite recently in an All-Ireland and one of the best 4 or 5 teams for 15 odd years its worrying that it can happen so relatively quickly. Rugby may be having a good bash of it, but it can’t be the sole reason.[/quote]

Devopment squads were put in place this year for U-14, U-15 and U-16. I would agree that its not ideal not to focus on minor and U-21 but we have to start somewhere. If we can get the development structure right then at least we are giving the minor and U-21 teams of the future a chance.

As for Limerick hurling being in the top 4/5 in the last 15 years, we are not the only ones in trouble. Does anyone expect Offaly, Wexford or Clare to win an All-Ireland in the next 3/4 years? Galway have got to two AI finals this decade but never looked like winning either. They haven’t got to a semi-final since 2005.

The fact that KK are such a good team does alot to disguise that hurling as a game is in trouble in many counties.

I don’t get your point on this one? I was suggesting it was poor that Limerick only had Ard Scoil playing. Ardscoil would still have a bigger pick than Kerry colleges though i would suggest.

Its not every school in Kerry, its only from Causeway and 2 other schools i think, can’t find the names.

think before you post

[quote=“hannibal”]Devopment squads were put in place this year for U-14, U-15 and U-16. I would agree that its not ideal not to focus on minor and U-21 but we have to start somewhere. If we can get the development structure right then at least we are giving the minor and U-21 teams of the future a chance.

As for Limerick hurling being in the top 4/5 in the last 15 years, we are not the only ones in trouble. Does anyone expect Offaly, Wexford or Clare to win an All-Ireland in the next 3/4 years? Galway have got to two AI finals this decade but never looked like winning either. They haven’t got to a semi-final since 2005.

The fact that KK are such a good team does alot to disguise that hurling as a game is in trouble in many counties.[/quote]

Generally i agree, but i would expect Clare to be in the mix again soon.
Your right that some of the middle counties have gone back, but hurling is doing very well in some of the less traditional areas and counties.

Thanks, i love your little bits of advice.:thumbsup:

Now swim on again little fish.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]I don’t get your point on this one? I was suggesting it was poor that Limerick only had Ard Scoil playing. Ardscoil would still have a bigger pick than Kerry colleges though i would suggest.

Its not every school in Kerry, its only from Causeway and 2 other schools i think, can’t find the names.[/quote]

I’m assuming it’s some other school in Tralee and north Kerry which would be in the catchment area of almost all Kerry hurling clubs. Schools hurling has never been particularly strong in Limerick for some reason and is probably one of the reasons why we struggle at minor inter county level.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]I don’t get your point on this one? I was suggesting it was poor that Limerick only had Ard Scoil playing. Ardscoil would still have a bigger pick than Kerry colleges though i would suggest.

Its not every school in Kerry, its only from Causeway and 2 other schools i think, can’t find the names.[/quote]

doon are also hurling harty this year…i was just making the point that Kerry had a team in the harty this year for the first time and that they are making progress albeit they are still a long way behind…

You then for some absurd reason decided to incorrectly state that limerick had only one as well, don’t exactly see what you are getting at

I wouldn’t agree with that completely, Flannan’s have had some absolutely super teams over the years but there is a big step up between Colleges and county minor…A colleges side could carry 4 or 5 fairly average players if they have a couple of very good players no problem

Ya, they tried to put together a city team, from 4 or 5 of the colleges this year, but it fell down somewhere along the way. Possibly getting some teacher to train them or something was the problem.

[quote=“The Puke”]doon are also hurling harty this year…i was just making the point that Kerry had a team in the harty this year for the first time and that they are making progress albeit they are still a long way behind…

You then for some absurd reason decided to incorrectly state that limerick had only one as well, don’t exactly see what you are getting at[/quote]

I didn’t see Doon on the search i done, they are indeed in the Harty with Shannon, Blackwater and Templemore.

Didn’t think it was that “absurd” a mistake. :smiley:

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]Thanks, i love your little bits of advice.

[/quote]

Its good to see you have learned where you fit in, in the grander scheme of things.

You remind me of a young artfoley - all that energy being channelled away needlessly.

Have you played Harty Puke?
Its a massive step up from club, and while obviously not as good as County Minor, it can be dam close at times, especially the latter stages. Of course you can carry players, but usually they wouldn’t win it out.
Well that was certainly the case up to a few years ago, my attendance at Harty matches would be thin on the ground in recent times.